Any idea about a helmet fit cross reference?

Lobster

• Member Contributer

I wear an XL Arai Quantum F helmet...fits like butter with NO messing / sanding with the foam under the pads.

Just curious if anyone knows what helmet(s) generally might fit close to the same? (yeah...uh...helmets not made by Arai...I know there were some jokes just waiting...)

Anyone have experience or know where there is some data on this?

How's that for a scientific experiment !! :computer-noworky:

Only 2 lids that fit me well are Arai (got RX-7 and XD-3) and Shoei (currently RF-1100, have owned all the RF series in the past)

wear size "L" in both

I tried many other helmets but never as comfortable as those two.

I also wear an arai (or awry) quantum in XL. Those fit me perfectly, so:

Nolan N102 XL: Good fit but after breaking in a 1/4 size too big

Nolan and X-Lite in L: WILL NOT FIT

AGV s-4: XL: Fit is ok, but oddly enough, it feels too small. I guess because the chin bar is really tight in there

Shark RSF3 XL: Sorta like the Nolan, but maybe even slightly roomier

KBC VR2 XXL: Closest I have ever found to an Arai Quantum. It caresses my gourd. Love it.

ICON Variant L: Fits like most XLs, but has a very, very small hot-spot on the forehead. I am hoping that after break in it will go away (prolly will)

Bieffe Predator L: Fits tight, but it is not un-comfy. Really an open wheel car helmet but I liked it alot.

Last year I tried to create a helmet sizing database thread, but you all poo-pooed it and it died.

• Member Contributer

Timmy, thank you sir!

Funny...on your old thread, you said the AGV fit perfectly, but on this one you say it is only OK.

I may try a new helmet just for kicks this year....we will see.

I really would like to shake your hand one of these days.

Thanks again.

[quote name='Lobster' timestamp='1313491036' post='796262'

I may try a new helmet just for kicks this year....we will see.

Got this bad boy brand new on ebay for 16 bucks. Closest to an Arai as I have ever felt. I LOVE this fella (except for the cool-guy graffix)

KBC VR2-R

IMG_0205.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am trying to find a helmet as well. I was using an HJC CS-12, which fit great. It hit the ground on a lowside, so I purchased an EXO-700. It feels great for about 30 minutes, then I start feeling pressure on my temples and after about an hour my head is pounding. Obviously NOT the fit I need, although I love it for commuting...nice and quiet.

I am trying to determine what headshape I should be looking for...does it mean my head is narrower than the EXO-700 fit? I have a large head...7-5/8 or 7-3/4 on a fitted hat for instance. I usually buy an XL helmet assuming they will "break-in" a bit. Maybe I am doing it wrong?

• Member Contributer

I think Web Bike World has a helmet shape chart if that helps any.

+1. They are my primary source on replacement helmets. Current lid is Shark RSR2.

• Member Contributer

I am trying to find a helmet as well. I was using an HJC CS-12, which fit great. It hit the ground on a lowside, so I purchased an EXO-700. It feels great for about 30 minutes, then I start feeling pressure on my temples and after about an hour my head is pounding. Obviously NOT the fit I need, although I love it for commuting...nice and quiet.

I am trying to determine what headshape I should be looking for...does it mean my head is narrower than the EXO-700 fit? I have a large head...7-5/8 or 7-3/4 on a fitted hat for instance. I usually buy an XL helmet assuming they will "break-in" a bit. Maybe I am doing it wrong?

As far as I know (and I own two EXO-700's), they are a neutral head shape fit. I also wear Shoei RF-1000's. With pain at the temples, it sounds as if your head is too round (wide) for the EXO-700, unless I am misunderstanding you. If you do have a round head, stay away from Shark helmets too as they are narrow. I thought the HJC's were for round/wide heads. As mentioned above, go to Webbikeworld.com. They test helmets ad nauseaum and catagorize them according to head shape.

FWIW, I also wear a 7 3/4 hat, and my helmets have always been XXL.

Archived