Dropped my VFR

yellowvfrider

Just 3-4 days ago I pulled into my garage and apparently didn't put the kick stand down all the way. As I leaned it over to the left it got past the tipping point and I tried to let her down slowly. Luckily I had some cardboard boxes that saved the fairings from getting scratched, but I snapped the left mirror stalk right at the pivot. I'll take replacing a $20 mirror over scratched fairings any day.

Just last week a sudden burst of wind as I had just starting rolling forward hit me hard enough to drop the bike on the front fender of a Goldwing parked right next to me shattering my zero gravity windshield and cracking the Goldwing's fender. Needless to say I was shocked, dismayed, and pissed off all in the same moment.

Fortunately I have R&G frame sliders and Givi racks that kept the fairings from touching the ground and the original windshield to replace my double bubble for now. That and I was able to slow down the drop. It's still costing me $219 to replaced the Goldwing's fender right now though.

Needless to say it's not a matter of if but when. At least I don't live in a house with a steep driveway any more. It seemed I was dropping the VFR at least once a month when living there.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

ZG shield shattering??.... Why am I not surprised?..... They are like potato chip crispy when it comes to shatter resistance......

I've done all those and others too.

There's an endless variety of ways to drop your bike at low or no speed.

Have always managed to pick it up and ride away,

but have never gone down at more than about 35 or 40.

Most of those times it was the very low to no speed maneuver that got me.

If you're gonna ride, you're gonna fall. So ATTGATT! :tour:

• Member Contributer

ZG shield shattering??.... Why am I not surprised?..... They are like potato chip crispy when it comes to shatter resistance......

This actually worked in my favor. If I had the Honda stock shield on there the damage to the Goldwing would have been a lot worse.

• Member Contributer

This actually worked in my favor. If I had the Honda stock shield on there the damage to the Goldwing would have been a lot worse.

Always a bright side ....

• 5 months later...

Have dropped my 99 VFR twice in my backyard.

Once just after washing and having wet grass down she went. Im an idiot.

Second time moving it without motor running on paved driveway trying to push backward up a very slight incline (why do i do these things?) lost balance and down she went. Bike landed on my right leg, didnt damage the bike but broke my ankle, even bigger IDIOT, at least the bike wasnt hurt :blush:

• Member Contributer

Have dropped my 99 VFR twice in my backyard.

Once just after washing and having wet grass down she went. Im an idiot.

Second time moving it without motor running on paved driveway trying to push backward up a very slight incline (why do i do these things?) lost balance and down she went. Bike landed on my right leg, didnt damage the bike but broke my ankle, even bigger IDIOT, at least the bike wasnt hurt :blush:

Dang! Broken ankle! That musta hurt. Hope you heal fast and well.

Years ago had a "learning" experience with my blackbird... Cutting across neighbor's yard they had railroad ties between driveway and grass... Doing probably less than 1mph wheel got caught in a small opening and I suddenly couldn't turn... down we went... Luckily minimum damage but sh!t happens!

I dropped my 2004 about a month ago. Just got back from a ride, pull in the garage, put side stand down, start to walk away and down she went, The bar end hit me in the right thigh. My thigh started to swell within minutes. It got grotesquely huge and turned several different colors. The swelling is finally almost gone.

The damage to the bike was minimal, Scratched left fairing and mirror. I obviously did not have the side stand down all the way.

I was pouring mine up in its Centre stand to put air in the tyres. It was early and very cold. My footing slipped, I kneed the bike in the fairings and over it went. Clutch covet scratched and some very minor scuffing on the fairing. After a good wax you can't see it. I was so pissed off. I threw my back pack across the service station, gloves followed. A guy ran over to help and said "don't throw your helmet! " some damage but it could have been worse.

Nope no laughing matter. ..when I park at work, always put down the kick stand and then back it into a spot....dont ask me why...trust me

Also make sure not to park facing downhill into a parking stall.

Remember, you have to back out, if it's uphill well, have fun. :laugh:

I'd really rather park on a level area, but if not possible I'll park facing uphill, and leave it in gear while parked. :smile:

And always have it in gear....

See, I only park it in gear if I'm on a slope.

Don't see a need when it's in the garage, or outside on a flat surface.

What advantage is there to parking it in gear in the garage on a flat floor?

I don't know of one. :unsure:

My thinkin is anything to screw up a thief...in gear ..kickstand down...disk lock..

I only do this at work...park under a camera also

Universal Studios...you have thousands of people walking by my bike...its covered also.

And never run errands on my bike....

Archived