KBC

timmythecop

Lets start here. I read a long time ago that KBC was a good company and that they actually manufactured lines of helmets for some of the larger companies. After some research, I found this to be true and I also found that KBC helms always did well on independent tests. So I trust KBC.

Now, in a fit of drunk bidding, I had a brand-new KBC VR2 lid coming my way. I was feeling foolish because on further review, it was an XXL and I wear an XL. I figured that I could maybe buy the XL innards later or maybe fill the gap with something, I dont know. So the lid shows up and it fits perfectly. Just like an Arai XL. So now I am happy. I try to find out a little about this lid and i find something strange: In all photos of this lid on the interwebs, all the lids have the KBC logo on the front and sides. Mine does not. Mine also has a red duct in front and that isnt like the others either. Also strange on my lid is that the vents came from the factory as "open only, no adjuster"

Is this strange? You think this one mat have been made for racing only? what gives? do you-all like VR2s? please discuss.

Here is my new 12 dollar lid:

IMG_0205-1.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

Nothing useful to add to the lid discussion, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who needs a breathalyzer interlock on my PC :goofy:

I 'm wondering what the story is with the vents - factory seconds or early model maybe?

But hey, $12 for a snell lid is a pretty good score either way!

• Member Contributer

I've owned my VR2 for the last 6 years.

Bit strange you never got the top vents.

Maybe they have been removed.

The KBC logos are just "puffy" sick-ons, that can be removed too.

I have found it to be a great helmet over the years.

The fitting has gotten a bit loose over time.

And has become alot louder too.

I think for the current prices they are asking, they are a good deal.

But must warn you the visor mechanism can be very fragile.

The "L" shaped plastic tabs that keep the visor on its rachet are susceptible to snapping.

Just not strong enough on the corner of the L.

Have been through about 5 of them.

Picked up some cheap ones from the internet, but the first 3 were given to me from KBC USA themselves.

2 clear, 1 smoked. Great customer service at the time.

I'm looking to upgrade mine soon, as it has just worn naturally from wearing it, and the increases in wind noise.

What, no flat black?!?! Where's this world going!!!!!

I know, I know, I had plans to paint it flat black, but Seb talked me out of it.

• Member Contributer

$12???

Looks like the seller was drunker than you..... :laughing6-hehe:

Is this a used lid? the slight damage to the graphics on one pic seems to suggest so. Maybe the PO removed the vent mechanism as a mod to lighten the helmet or to further open up the vents for better flow. I don't see KBC helmets in most shops anymore. Are they still in business in the US??

I too got a KBC for cheap as an impulse buy (are all KBCs bought that way??) through a clearance sale about two years ago. Other than the really good graphics attractive shell shape and interesting venting details on the FFR modular model I got, the rest of details on the helmet (visor hinge mechanism and interior liner materials) are pretty much in line with their "budget lid" reputation.

Beck

95 VFR

no, shes brand new. That smudge is just a piece of dirt. This lid seems to be above the budget lid category. The inside is very, very nice.

Guest poorboy

KBC are great helmets. I'm using a new/old stock VR1 and love it. The fit and finish is not Arai or Shoei but neither is the price. I would own a second and I'm looking for a solid red for my 11 year old daughter.

• Member Contributer

Hope not................. dubious GPS failing ok no real harm, but a helmet should not fail

• Member Contributer

I think the gayh colors will work well for you Timmy! :laughing6-hehe:

But then again. Honey badger don't give a sh!t

Archived