What did you own before your 6th Gen?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

My first bike was a Suzuki GS500F.

My second bike was a BMW F800S (the F800S/ST is one of the closest competitors to the VFR according to the magazine bike comparisons.). The VFR, for a variety of reasons, is a better bike for me.

And now, of course, the VFR that I am introducing to a lot more of Canada and the States. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

My 96 4th gen that I like every bit as much as my 6th gen, if not better. Before that, I owned a Suzuki GS500 that helped me return to riding after a 12-year hiatus.

• Member Contributer

1982 Yamaha Seca XJ650RJC (red) Canadian version, I do miss the low maintenance shaft drive. One of the few vehicles I made money on.

YICS made carb balancing a little more painful.

• Member Contributer

2005 Yamaha FJR1300-didn't agree with me only owned it for 8 months

1999 Honda interceptor-best bike so far

1996 Suzuki RF600R-so so

1988 Kawasaki EX500-great bike to start with for an 18 yeay old squid

bunch of dirt bikes when I was a kid

• Member Contributer

First bike was that well-loved classic Yamaha XJ650Rj Seca650, US model. 55,000 on that.

then 1991 BMW R100 GS Paris Dakar. 52,000

<--------------------

1993 VFR750F in pearl crystal white. Still have it, feeling separation anxiety to sell it

2004 VFR800A, just got plates for it yesterday. PC III, LeoVince Ti, Givi trunk. Hoping that I love it.

• Member Contributer

My first bike was a 93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk. Next came a 650 v-star ...awfull bike. I think I will have my 2003 VFR untill there's nothing left of it.

• Member Contributer

6th gen RWB was my first bike just under 2 years ago.

have since added the 08 CBR1000RR track / race bike as well as the 09 Ducati 1198. I love both of these and they get a lot more use than the VFR, but I never intend to sell my first bike.

How was learning on a VFR800?

I think I'd really like one but I want to get some miles under neath me on a SV650s before jumping in a VFR.

It was great. It is not as easy to wheelie or break the rear loose as it is with my other bikes. The only downside is that it is much heavier. I actually liked the weight while learning as it taught me a lot about low speed handling. now when I get on my other bikes they feel weightless.

The VFR is also much easier on initial turn-in than my other bikes.

In camparing it to a SV650, I would guess that the power to weight ratio is comparable. (not sure about the exact specs - someone can correct me) you would be moving up to more power, but it is EASILY controllable. On the other side of the equation you would aldo be moving up greatly in bike weight. Ergonomically speaking the VFR feels more upright as well.

Guest Rufrydrsc2up

The bike before my VFR was a '95 GSXR 750. It was a dream bike of mine ever since I started riding (which happened to be the same year) that I finally bought low mileage at a steal from a friend. Then a year later, someone got it from me at a better steal, lifted it from the parking lot at my apartment in the fall of 08. Oddly enough, in Jan of this year the local PD called me and said they found my bike. Some guy got into a fight at a Waffle House and when they arrested him they ran the VIN on the bike in the back of his truck.......and it was mine. Ins had already paid out on it though, and I wasn't in a position to buy it back right now anyway. Oh well, to have loved and lost. They say never date or buy your dream cause it'll ruin it, well in this case they were wrong. Loved that bike.

Guest SSRider

Current - 05 VFR 800 ABS

Past - 2005 GSXR1000

- 2004 Honda 919

- 2000 Honda Shadow ACE

-1996 Kawsaki KLR 250

• Member Contributer

Have only been able to own one at a time. Think this may be why I love VFR's so much. They also sound ace! The v-4 is so addictive. Did I say I love the sound of the V-4? :goofy:

Current: 07 rwb. Absolutely had to get back onto an 800 VFR. Have to say I really, really like the 6th gen. Working on being my current best bike ever! Hope to never sell :fing02:

Prior:

07 R1200s

01 VFR800fi Best bike I ever owned = bought new and owned for over 10 years. In a fit of insanity sold it. :blink:

90 CBR600

89 K75s

75 Norton Commando

84 Ninja 900

68 triumph 500

82 R65ls

• Member Contributer

I'm curious what was your most recent motorcycle before buying a 6th gen VFR.

I'll have my first motorcycle in five day (2006 SV650s) but I think the VFR 800 are great on paper and looks. I just need to find one to test drive.

Never had a minibike growing up, but all my friends did. I begged rides on my big brother's Yamaha XT125 and my friends's Honda Z50 and Honda CT70. Even the neighborhood kids had minibikes. When I was in fifth grade my neighbor and his sister got matching YZ80s, and at that time I questioned whether I really wanted to continue to go on living.

In College I needed transportation. My best friend's dad had an old CB350. He fixed it up and I bought it for a few hundred bucks. In the wintertime. He didn't tell me it had a choke and I didn't know enough to look for it. I woke the neighbors up every morning as I broke a sweat kick starting it cold. Tough lesson. Parked outside the campus housing office one day and what did I see? A pearl white VFR. I stared at it for the longest time. That, I decided, what the most beautiful bike I had ever seen. I would later have the same reaction when I saw my first Ducati PASO.

Enough kick starting. Within a year I sold my CB350 to the bass player in my band (I thought I got the better end of the deal but the bike is probably worth three times what he paid for it). I bought a big boy bike -- a sleek 1982 Yamaha Vision 550. V twin and futuristic styling. Electric start. Black. I loved that bike. Parked it on the street and always looked back at it when I walked up the stairs to my front porch. You'd have thought I had left a pretty girl sitting on it. It was the fanciest thing I had ever owned. One afternoon I heard a clatter outside. For some reason I thought the noise sounded like a baby buggy falling down stairs, and then I thought, "Wait a minute. There aren't any babies in this neighborhood...MY BIKE!" My neighbor had backed into it. Dented the tank. No more fancy. Took the insurance money and vowed I'd fix it. Spent the money and rode the wheels off the bike.

Top Gun had come out in 1986. Tom Cruise rode a Ninja. It seemed dangerous and extravagant. I wanted one but I was broke. My girlfriend, however, wasn't. She needed a car, so we struck a deal: buy me a bike and I'll let you use my truck. The deal was struck and for the next years rode it from Los Angeles to Santa Cruz California every other week to visit her. I rode it on roads with water up to my axles because I had to get to work. I road it in the freezing cold. Silver, with red and black stripes. Girl friend gone. Bike gone.

I was becoming practical: When I had accumulated enough money to by another bike, I bought another Katana: a 1993 model, blue with bronze wheels. Kept it for about some time.

At some point I looked around and it was 2003: I began reading everything I could about the VFR. I am not ashamed to say I paid almost full price for the first new bike I ever owned: my 2002 VFR Interceptor. Red. The bike is almost ten years old, but you really can't tell. I haven't reached its limits and I doubt I ever will.

So when everyone has chimed in, you're next question has to be: What is the next bike you'll own, and why?

• Member Contributer

5th gen - purchased new, still owned

4th gen - used - traded for the 5th

Various dirt bikes - R.I.P.

As for my next one, it will probably be of the cruiser variety. I'd like to think I'd keep the VFR around, but I may have to look for a new place to live in doing so. Girlfriends just don't understand the multi-bike disease. If and when it ever happens, I know I'll miss the VFR. Still one of the best bikes I've ever ridden (and there's been a few, believe me!)

XR200R

VFR was my first street bike. Big bite, but I managed it.

Since then, I had a ST1300, and now have a pair of GL1100's that I'm rebuilding. The VFR is still here and is my daily transport.

• Member Contributer

My first bike was actually a scooter, a 1988 Piaggio Vespa PX200 that my dad bought me in 1989. I still have it, and I'll never sell it. My first proper bike was a 1993 Kawasaki KLR600. After that it was a 1997 Kawasaki ZX-7R. God I loved that bike. It was red, with a purple tail and it made a wonderful sound. It wasn't that comfortable though. Next up was a 2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R (can you see a pattern developing here?) which I loved to bits as well. When I met my now-ex-wife, I decided to get something more comfortable and went for a 2002 Aprilia Futura. That was also a very good bike, I did a lot of long distance riding on that one but it felt a bit too grown up for me. It also had certain niggling faults (electrical system, coils etc) so I decided to get rid of it before it broke my heart.

I always loved the VFRs so when I found a lightly used dark blue one, I decided to go for it, but the owner and I disagreed on something at the last moment. Just a couple of days later, I found my current steed with just 2800 miles on it. I wanted a red one anyway. The VFR felt so good after the Futura, because it feels much more agile, the sound is infinitely better and it has that Honda quality. This bike has become the most modified bike I have ever owned. It has (a deep breath) a K&N filter, Rapidbike 3 Module, BOS slip-ons, HyperPro Shock (progressive spring, fully adjustable incl. high and low speed compression), Scottoiler, Zero Gravity double bubble screen, Titax clutch and brake levers (black) and most recently a HK Suspension modified fork with full adjustability (compression on the left, rebound on the right). I love this bike so much that I decided to go ahead and splash for a Supercharger from A&A Performance (aka the Torocharger). I'll also be changing the headers, brake lines (kevlar) and adding a carbon-fiber hugger as I install the SC. I don't think I'll ever sell my Viffer, I love it too much :biggrin:

2000 VFR800

07 GSXR750 track

02 CBR F4i track

91 CBR F2 track

93 VFR

99 SV650

01SV650

97 CBR XX

83 750 Interceptor

CX650

CB700 Nighthawk

CB 650 Nighthawk

99 R6

99 GSXR750

99 BMW R1100C

89 Kaw Concours

99 Ninja 250

06 VFR800

02 VFR800

84 Yamaha FJ1100

04 VFR800 track

00 Triumph 955i

Triumph Trophy

etc., etc.

OK then, who did you date before your last wife :goofy:

Brian

• Member Contributer

'03 Suzuki SV650s

Same here. More or less, that was my first bike. I liked it a lot, but there came a time when I had to admit that it wasn't made to hold a 6'7" 300lb gorilla such as myself. Bone stock suspension combined with my weight and the SVs plentiful low-end torque made for a rocking-horse of a ride everytime I even thought about adjusting the throttle. The brakes sucked, too, and my butt would be killing me after a long ride, but I loved the way you could toss it about.

Next ride to join the VFR in the garage will be my brother's 03 SV1000 (technically already there, but not mine yet). It solves all the issues my 650 had (he's upgraded the suspension) and puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it. Can't wait.

Mike

Archived