mapsource for garmin .. how to use

northernrider

• Member Contributer

ok i think to myself im not to bad with research on the interweb looking for stuff ,but is this mapsoure tutorials imposable to find ?!

im looking for videos on how to make routes , choose your own roads and stuff . i know there are some threads on how to but nothing says it better then videos. i even look on utube and i dont find anything in detail how to ... i dont know , is there anyone out there that can help ?

• Forum CEO

I wish there were a way to make a map using google maps and send it to the zumo. google maps is WAY more user friendly...

you and me both, at least create a gpx file of routes built on google maps.

ok i think to myself im not to bad with research on the interweb looking for stuff ,but is this mapsoure tutorials imposable to find ?!

Learn to speak Dutch and you'll be able to follow the excellent tutorials on garmintv :happy:

I wish there were a way to make a map using google maps and send it to the zumo. google maps is WAY more user friendly...

Try this one: link

• Member Contributer

Yes, it is possible to use Google Maps to create your route and send to the Zumo. That's how I do my routing. First you have to save your Google Map in the Google Earth format (KML). It's possible, as long as you have a Google account. Then there's a website (I have the link at home) that converts that to a GPX file, that you can then copy to your Zumo. Easy, peasy!

Found the link: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?convert_format=gpx

Yes, it is possible to use Google Maps to create your route and send to the Zumo. That's how I do my routing. First you have to save your Google Map in the Google Earth format (KML). It's possible, as long as you have a Google account. Then there's a website (I have the link at home) that converts that to a GPX file, that you can then copy to your Zumo. Easy, peasy!

Found the link: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?convert_format=gpx

Yes, this ^^^ !! :fing02:

But, you don't need a google account either! Just make your route in google maps, then copy link and paste to GPSVisualizer. Save file to desktop & paste to Garmin!

• Member Contributer

Yes, this ^^^ !! :fing02:

But, you don't need a google account either! Just make your route in google maps, then copy link and paste to GPSVisualizer. Save file to desktop & paste to Garmin!

Didn't realize you could just copy and paste the link to the route. Cool!

• 5 months later...

Too bad it doesn't work with older GPS units. Mine is a Garmin Nuvi 265w which is only 3 years old and it won't do routes ... it will only do waypoints. Otherwise, I agree - it would be awesome if I could dump a predetermined route from Google maps to my GPS.

• Member Contributer

Too bad it doesn't work with older GPS units. Mine is a Garmin Nuvi 265w which is only 3 years old and it won't do routes ... it will only do waypoints. Otherwise, I agree - it would be awesome if I could dump a predetermined route from Google maps to my GPS.

Works on my 265w. On Google maps enter start location 'A' destination 'B', add more destinations as required. Drag routes as desired.

Get directions. Connect to usb port, click on email (envelope graphic) choose GPS select Garmin and send.

Of course should I go off route it recalculates to the appropriate location. If you know the area some of the reroutes don't make sense

but they do get you to the destination.

Happy mapping.

Adrian

Works on my 265w. On Google maps enter start location 'A' destination 'B', add more destinations as required. Drag routes as desired.

Get directions. Connect to usb port, click on email (envelope graphic) choose GPS select Garmin and send.

Of course should I go off route it recalculates to the appropriate location. If you know the area some of the reroutes don't make sense

Happy mapping.

Adrian

I've tried that. But from what I can tell is that I would have to set a number of predetermined 'waypoints' along the route I want. Then as I'm traveling I would have to keep selecting the next 'waypoint' as I go. That would work OK, but I would prefer to do something like a start/end point with a route that I determine to make it easy.

If that's possible (instead of the multiple waypoints) could you enlighten me?

• Member Contributer

Happy mapping.

Adrian

I've tried that. But from what I can tell is that I would have to set a number of predetermined 'waypoints' along the route I want. Then as I'm traveling I would have to keep selecting the next 'waypoint' as I go. That would work OK, but I would prefer to do something like a start/end point with a route that I determine to make it easy.If that's possible (instead of the multiple waypoints) could you enlighten me?

Used your method on one trip (multiple waypoints) worked well, just had to punch a couple of buttons at each stop.

Sounds like what you want is to just select your start and end point. Route is calculated and displayed, now if it doesn't

take a road(s) that you would like to travel or includes one that you would rather avoid all that is needed is to drag

a portion of the displayed route to one of your choice.

You may have to start from scratch several times as route dragging is not perfect and can result in some pretty weird rides.

Route dragging can also "correct" some overly complex routes presented by Google.

Used your method on one trip (multiple waypoints) worked well, just had to punch a couple of buttons at each stop.

Sounds like what you want is to just select your start and end point. Route is calculated and displayed, now if it doesn't

take a road(s) that you would like to travel or includes one that you would rather avoid all that is needed is to drag

You may have to start from scratch several times as route dragging is not perfect and can result in some pretty weird rides.

Route dragging can also "correct" some overly complex routes presented by Google.

Yep - tried that. I selected a start point and an end point. Then I dragged the routed to where I wanted to go between the start/end point. Then when I sent it to my GPS, it only sends the end point. The GPS completely disregards the route I predetermined and calculates it's own based on the end point.

• Member Contributer

Happy mapping.

Adrian

I've tried that. But from what I can tell is that I would have to set a number of predetermined 'waypoints' along the route I want. Then as I'm traveling I would have to keep selecting the next 'waypoint' as I go. That would work OK, but I would prefer to do something like a start/end point with a route that I determine to make it easy.If that's possible (instead of the multiple waypoints) could you enlighten me?

OOPS Brain fart :blush:

That was Mapsource that I used to create a route. Mapsource was packaged with my 265.

Not quite as friendly as Google Maps but unlike Google it allows you to download both waypoints (if you create them)

and routes.

Apology sent, it was a year ago that I created my vacation route and was sure that we had routes just messed up on how

the route was created. Hope this helps.

Adrian

• Member Contributer

Been following this for a few days as a mate and I have been trying to solve the Google Map to GPS riddle i.e. .gpx file. Tried all the methods outlined above and a few from You Tube too without success.

Google have been messing with their Maps in the last week or so but I don't know whether that has been the problem, I had been convinced that we down here weren't privileged with the same functionality as up there in the USofA.

This My link works, not exactly as promoted but it prompts you to get the result successfully, twice for me. :fing02:

Good luck.

Archived