Looking for Routing Suggestions across the Central USA

Olive

• Member Contributer

I have been looking at VFRs for a few years, and the right opportunity has presented itself. I am purchasing a bike in the States and importing it into Canada. In typical style, I'm not just picking it up in the closest state - I am making a real adventure out of it.

In the past few years I have done a lot of solo riding in the states - this summer I did a 10,000 km (6,250 mile) trip, and last year was 6,000 km (3,750 mile), so I am not worried about that part of the ride. The only concern is that weather might be a bit dicy on the last day or two of the trip as I approach home, but that is a risk I willingly take riding this late in the season.

The VFR I purchased is in North Carolina, and I will be riding it home to Alberta. I have friends in the Atlanta area who have helped me plan out rides in North Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee, but am looking for advice on the rest of the route back. Nothing is fixed on the route yet,

Posted below is a google map of the routing I am looking at, but am VERY open to suggestions between Tennessee and Alberta. (I don't need any routing advice in Tennessee). In addition to routes, please let me know about interesting roads, sights not to be missed, good campgrounds, photo opportunities...

Link to Google Map

I appreciate your suggestions :biggrin:

I tried to re-route you between Lawrence, KS and Manhattan, KS. But I was not able to post the huge link.

K-4 and K-99 between Eskridge, KS and Alma, KS should not be missed while you are so close and are a lot more scenic than what you would encouter on US-24 per your posted route. LINK to a map I keep of local roads and points of interest.

I'm in Topeka, KS If you are interested in a place to stay, eat, maintenance, laundry, etc. Plenty of VFRD references available. PM me for contact info. If schedules mesh I would enjoy riding a few miles with you and showing the few good roads we have around here.

Not a frequent poster here but a long time member. Just wanted to speak up for Olive. I've followed her riding through her pictures and trip reports and can assure you that she is someone you will enjoy knowing. I hope to meet her next weekend myself. The rest of you need to jump in while she is passing through.

Congrats Olive on the new ride. I was wondering after reading about your trip if you were going home with a new toy.

Randy ( Sweeper )

• Member Contributer

Try to go through Wyoming and run the Chief Joseph Hwy (296) out of Cody and onto the Beartooth Hwy (212), then catch 89 at Yellowstone and head north through Glacier National Park in Montana. Glacier is a must see. Safe ride.

• Member Contributer

Hot Springs to Spearfish, SD, and if you intend to make a stop in this area Hill City is a great place.

Thanks Radar for the great suggestions. Those look like great roads to ride.

Try to go through Wyoming and run the Chief Joseph Hwy (296) out of Cody and onto the Beartooth Hwy (212), then catch 89 at Yellowstone and head north through Glacier National Park in Montana. Glacier is a must see. Safe ride.

I spent a day exploring Yellowstone earlier this year, and have ridden Glacier a few times - it is well worth while. Unfortunately it looks like I have to go through the border at Coutts because I am importing a vehicle.

Chief Joseph and Beartooth are great suggestions. Thanks :fing02:

If i can figure out how to build a google map I have some suggestions, unless you have MapSource software?

I only use Google Maps, unless there is a way for me to view MapSource routes without purchasing the software?

• Member Contributer

I have gotten a few suggestions, but am still looking for routing suggestions so I can update my manual GPS before I fly out on Thursday to start the adventure...

gallery_15151_5615_294480.jpg

My Manual GPS

Whats the chances of seeing one of your "EPIC" adventures on here.....I've heard you like taking pictures and can tell a mean story.. :biggrin:

Give her some routes folks.....Aussie knows you'll get a great report. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Whats the chances of seeing one of your "EPIC" adventures on here.....I've heard you like taking pictures and can tell a mean story.. :biggrin:

Geez Aussie. I thought you were still working on reading up on the last novella. :blush: And yes, now that I am on a VFR, I'm much more likely to be active posting up on this site as well.

• Member Contributer

I've picked up the bike and spent the last several days riding in North Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee. Some wonderful scenic roads - Richard Russell Parkway, Cherahala, Blue Ridge Parkway, US129, Blood Mountain and Deals Gap just to name a few. Right now I am in Atlanta, and my route from here will head out through Tennessee, and across the states.

So far I have gotten some fabulous road suggestions from local riders, but my map is still in need of your help. If you live in the Central USA, take a look at the roads I have marked and give me your suggestions of alternate routes.

The map from this point onwards

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=charlotte+nc&daddr=35.12693,-82.91481+to:Atlanta,+GA,+United+States+to:34.67059,-84.72301+to:35.22914,-83.74013+to:36.0897128,-85.8345016+to:36.17885,-86.06472+to:37.23642,-91.40205+to:40.16928,-102.24634+to:48.49236,-113.90631+to:calgary,+alberta&geocode=Fc-FGQIdiW4u-ymBGjj8xB9UiDFk0UO_5lBGiA%3BFZL-FwIdBtIO-yn7-hTpZAdZiDGq5mMI9LM2VQ%3BFQP4AgIdclf4-imNCZNpXQT1iDELYwuZL97-Zg%3BFf4HEQIdvjrz-imhkjAQLulfiDFmcU6yLQOzIQ%3BFdSNGQIdHjoC-ykBDLuYH9BeiDFw0XIgpqs-3A%3BFXCvJgId-0Ti-ilbBnVQHsRmiDHFNsYOdnjRqA%3BFaILKAIdsMHe-in3C4pnoL1miDGQaOBeHgH3-g%3BFcQuOAIdvlCN-imXdAuDWKbQhzFWGSyZ-c26HQ%3BFUDvZAIdPNjn-SnpzleI5o9zhzGsk0jdxcpBNw%3BFUjv4wIdeu01-SmzERqcbxhmUzETU2dJ0WKsGA%3BFYjiCgMd-p8z-SnVP4SfA3BxUzE6tlK2sTttJg&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9&dirflg=h&doflg=ptk&sll=34.759666,-82.353516&sspn=1.14627,3.526611&ie=UTF8&ll=42.032974,-99.492187&spn=31.766909,75.585938&z=4

If not too late ...... might want to consider

KY

State 49 going north thru Land Between Lakes area.

Then continue north & crossing Ohio R on a ferry @ Cave-In-Rocks.

MO

State 34 going west will provide some giggles.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

I rode through Land Between the Lakes this morning. Today has included Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois (courtesy of a missed turn) and now Middouri heading for the Ozarks.

• Member Contributer

Camped in Arkansas (Mammoth Spring) last night making it five states for the day (Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas). Today the plan is to run through the Ozarks and continue meandering west. Lots of photos but no opportunity to upload them until after I get home.

• Member Contributer

Keep us posted on your excellent adventures!

Be sure to comment on what you think about your first VFR! :fing02:

BR

Olive has some of the best ride reports out there :fing02: and,,,,,,,

Ohhh dont worry, she will :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

So far I love the bike. Feels very stable and settled in corners. I'm coming from a bmw f800s (considered one of the closest competitors to the vfr) and the BMW feels taller, tippier and less stable in contrast.

Just ran Push Mountain and am in Marshall taking a short break. Very warm day :)

• Forum CEO

So far I love the bike. Feels very stable and settled in corners. I'm coming from a bmw f800s (considered one of the closest competitors to the vfr) and the BMW feels taller, tippier and less stable in contrast.

Just ran Push Mountain and am in Marshall taking a short break. Very warm day :)

123 south of Mt Judea is good, Here is a roundabout route into Upper Oklahoma that takes you to the very end of the Ozarks

• Forum CEO

Full Size

After you do the Black Hills you might consider this route above, it has Devils Tower, Bighorn Mountains, Shell Canyon, Chief Joseph, and of course Bear Tooth Pass - it would be a huge improvement over the Plains of Montana. Stay at the Red Lodge Inn in Redlodge not too expensive and good people run that place - Lots of Camping around there too.

Red Lodge Inn

811 S Broadway Ave, Red Lodge, Montana

(406) 446-2030

• Member Contributer

The link (above) is not working for me properly. The second routing suggestion you posted is fantastic. I have to cross at Coutts/Sweetgrass and that will position me perfectly for it.

Have found some fantastic roads in the Ozarks, especially around Eureka Springs. I was very amused to see that almost every business in town had "biker friendly" signs out front, one hotel was advertising that they dealt exclusively with bikers. Even the sign into town indicated that they get a lot of riders through - it asked "please ride quietly". Leaving town I found some roads that had 15mph posted corners, and fantastic views. A great combination.

Tonight I am in Cassville, and working my way north west from here. Keep the suggestions coming!

• Forum CEO

about the best route from there would be to make your way into White Sulfer Springs nice mountains there road is not too crazy mostly good scenery

Full Size

Great Falls is more like "Bland Pit" Neither did I see a fall nor was the place great!

Archived