VFR1200 PAIR removal

Guest phobe

I've removed the PAIR (or smog pump) from the last 3 Honda sportbikes I've owned, as well as my CRF250X dirtbike. It isn't really a performance-increasing modification but it removes a lot of clutter from the engine compartment, making servicing easier. And it gets rid of the popping on closed throttle. It also makes the bike easier to tune with an air/fuel reading taken at the exhaust. It's a purely vaccuum-run system with no wires so you don't have to worry about any trouble codes from the ECU when you take it out.

I've been waiting for someone to develop a plate to block off the PAIR ports on the 1200 but after studying the parts diagrams I think I've got a solution.

The front cylinder head appears to have the same size and shape of (double-valve) PAIR port that is used on all of the CBRs. The rear cylinder head has 2 smaller PAIR ports which appear to be the same as the ones on the RC-51.

I ordered up a CBR kit and a RC51 kit from Kyle Racing. I might not get around to installing them until winter but I'm 99.99% sure they're the right ones. I'll bump this thread with a link to my blog post when it's all done.

I have only one concern... the 1200 has a 02 sensor at the exhaust collector. I wonder how the computer will interpret the altered oxygen readings? Will it interpret the reduced oxygen in the exhaust as a "rich" condition?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went ahead and removed the PAIR system. A bit tricky compared to a CBR, but not too bad.

http://vfr1200fa.blogspot.com/2010/10/pair-removal.html

Thanks for the post.

Does the manual identify the name of the two white plastic pieces inside the airbox along with their function?

Those are resonators. Quite common on cars... look at your car's intake tube and you'll see pods of different sizes and shapes popping uot of them. They're meant to "tune" the intake noise.

I went ahead and removed the PAIR system. A bit tricky compared to a CBR, but not too bad.

So what exactly are you trying to achieve by removing this system? Do you actually understand what it does in the first place?

I believe that if you click this link you would find out that he knows a thing or two about what he is doing.

http://vfr1200fa.blo...ir-removal.html

So what exactly are you trying to achieve by removing this system? Do you actually understand what it does in the first place?

I think I contribute some good content but if this is the kind of bullshit I'm gonna get here I'm just not going to bother anymore.

Honda has always had a great bike in the VFR... too bad it seems to appeal broadly to anal retentive obsessive retard assholes.

I think I contribute some good content but if this is the kind of bullshit I'm gonna get here I'm just not going to bother anymore.

Honda has always had a great bike in the VFR... too bad it seems to appeal broadly to anal retentive obsessive retard assholes.

I read your post and you made it sound like you know exactly what you're doing and why. Don't let one bent spoke push you away. This site offers me more information on issues I didn't even know I needed to think about and it's folks who know what they are talking about that keep it so valuable. Stick around.

so how much did the pair stuff end up in wieght saving? lot of rubber tubing, a valve, the carbon collector?

Weight saving... not so much. A pound at best. I didn't touch the carbon collector, that's an entirely different system. I suppose if you yarded out the entire evap emissions system you could lose a couple pounds. It's tied into the ECU though so might not be worth the effort.

Whoa, jeez, take a few breaths there. I'm trying to determine if this mod is a good thing or a bad thing. Lets hear the pros and cons of this mod before someone less knowledgeable starts tearing into their bike. A lot of people obsessively carry out every mod they read about without knowing all the facts.

• Member Contributer

Tam, it was the second sentence in your first post that brought all the scorn upon you. With all due respect, your follow up post says you were "trying to determine if this mod is a good thing or a bad thing" which many (myself, for example) would interpret as CYA, made after the initial post. If you are trying to "determine" something about PAIR removal, what logic leads one to originally question if the OP "actually understand"(s) in the first place?

Me? I know squat about bikes. I can change the oil, pads, perhaps lift the tank and clean the air filter if I'm feeling my (mechanical) oats.

But, there are major tinkerers here on this site, and though I don't understand what they hell they are doing at first, I keep mum and observe.

Best mod ever? The TOROCHARGER.

Do you actually understand what it does in the first place?

later...

Whoa, jeez, take a few breaths there. I'm trying to determine if this mod is a good thing or a bad thing..

so how much did the pair stuff end up in wieght saving? lot of rubber tubing, a valve, the carbon collector?

Just reading the diagrams... it looks like the EVAP solenoid (like the PAIR solenoid) doesn't have a MIL / DTC number. So I might just yank that out too.

I'm curious, how much pollution does the pair system eliminates vs. the having the system removed from the bike? Is it just a minimal amount?

Just enough to pass emissions tests. ;)

I'm curious, how much pollution does the pair system eliminates vs. the having the system removed from the bike? Is it just a minimal amount?

I have derestricted the 1st and 2nd gear power limitations. I have made a simple scematic :

post-20539-078999900 1286815715_thumb.jp

post-20539-049632500 1286815789_thumb.jp

You will have more fun with this mod then with a pair removal :laughing6-hehe:

• Forum CEO

I have derestricted the 1st and 2nd gear power limitations. I have made a simple scematic :

So does the gear indicator on the dash give you a false reading now?

For sure!

I think this merits a new thread. I'd also like to know if it gives you a false gear indicator reading?

edit: It looks like you put 2 splices in the 3rd gear wire and ran them to the pins for first and second. Certainly you must get a false reading on the indicator in first and second... If a guy were really ambitious you could wire in a switch between the 2 maps.

I still had the bike apart so I did this mod tonight. Basically you're telling the ECU that the bike is in 3rd gear when it's in 1st and 2nd. So I'm sure the readout will be incorrect on the indicator but only in first and second.

I took pictures so I'll detail the mod on my blog. Looking forward to riding it with the change.

Yes will get a falsh reading in the dash. In 1 st and 2nd the dash will show you are in 3th. I am busy decoding the serial link between ecu and dash.

So i will work it out. But first tell me youre experience with the mod :biggrin: pictures please

• 4 weeks later...
The front cylinder head appears to have the same size and shape of (double-valve) PAIR port that is used on all of the CBRs. The rear cylinder head has 2 smaller PAIR ports which appear to be the same as the ones on the RC-51.

Can I buy the extra CBR plate from you? Say half of what you paid plus a stamp?

Can I buy the extra CBR plate from you? Say half of what you paid plus a stamp?

Sure... I don't need it. PM me your address. I'll send it free. Pay it forward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nah, that's just the 1200... :laughing6-hehe:

Ciao,

Archived