VFR1200 PAIR removal

Guest phobe

Honda has always had a great bike in the VFR... too bad it seems to appeal broadly to anal retentive obsessive retard assholes.

Nah, that's just the 1200... :laughing6-hehe:

Ciao,

Touche. ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phobe, you are the only one i have seen diving into their 1200.

How easy are the common service items, like spark plugs? I see the rear deck looking pretty easy, but is there enough room to get to the front plugs easily? Are the fairings simple to get on and off? I like the offset oil filter, which is good. What about final drive oil?

Thanks!

Phobe, you are the only one i have seen diving into their 1200.

How easy are the common service items, like spark plugs? I see the rear deck looking pretty easy, but is there enough room to get to the front plugs easily? Are the fairings simple to get on and off? I like the offset oil filter, which is good. What about final drive oil?

Thanks!

It's really not that bad. There is a plastic cover over the front cylinder head that's a bit of a bitch to pry out, but once that's out there's enough room to get at the plugs.

Final drive service is easy as pie. I have an earlier blog entry about it...I put some Motul synth in mine.

• 4 weeks later...

I went ahead and removed the PAIR system. A bit tricky compared to a CBR, but not too bad.

http://vfr1200fa.blogspot.com/2010/10/pair-removal.html

So what exactly are you trying to achieve by removing this system? Do you actually understand what it does in the first place?

I think I contribute some good content but if this is the kind of bullshit I'm gonna get here I'm just not going to bother anymore.

Honda has always had a great bike in the VFR... too bad it seems to appeal broadly to anal retentive obsessive retard assholes.

It's futile here at VFRD .

My VFR1200F was more welcome at a Hayabusa website where folks love new innovations along with absorbing hard data , tips and tricks.

Just saying , it's not you . Thanks for your posts.

Phobe:

Have you been around any ST1300's enough to determine if Honda used any parts from the ST on the new VFR1200? It would seem like they would have a lot in common in the final drive area.

Pete

Phobe:

Have you been around any ST1300's enough to determine if Honda used any parts from the ST on the new VFR1200? It would seem like they would have a lot in common in the final drive area.

Pete

I haven't been around a lot of ST1300s but I can say for certain that they have almost nothing in common, especially the final drive. The ST is a longitudinal motor, completely different arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the pair mod on my RC51's, and was going to do it on my CBR1000, I think I gave the Dan Kyle block off plates with the bike; darn.

I like that the PAIR mod removes junk and gives more space to work on the innards of the bike.

• 4 months later...

I've removed the PAIR (or smog pump) from the last 3 Honda sportbikes I've owned, as well as my CRF250X dirtbike. It isn't really a performance-increasing modification but it removes a lot of clutter from the engine compartment, making servicing easier. And it gets rid of the popping on closed throttle. It also makes the bike easier to tune with an air/fuel reading taken at the exhaust. It's a purely vaccuum-run system with no wires so you don't have to worry about any trouble codes from the ECU when you take it out.

I've been waiting for someone to develop a plate to block off the PAIR ports on the 1200 but after studying the parts diagrams I think I've got a solution.

The front cylinder head appears to have the same size and shape of (double-valve) PAIR port that is used on all of the CBRs. The rear cylinder head has 2 smaller PAIR ports which appear to be the same as the ones on the RC-51.

I ordered up a CBR kit and a RC51 kit from Kyle Racing. I might not get around to installing them until winter but I'm 99.99% sure they're the right ones. I'll bump this thread with a link to my blog post when it's all done.

I have only one concern... the 1200 has a 02 sensor at the exhaust collector. I wonder how the computer will interpret the altered oxygen readings? Will it interpret the reduced oxygen in the exhaust as a "rich" condition?

Disabling the PAIR system on VFR800’s is a common practice.

It seems to be a common practice for most bikes with a PAIR system.

Local Honda dealer does it as part of their PD.

Supposedly, the injection of fresh air confuses the O2 sensors.

Did you notice any improvement to low speed throttle response or driveability?

Did you have to increase your idle speed following removal?

I blocked the PAIR system on my VFR800 recently and noticed an improvement in throttle response when transitioning between closed and open throttle at low speeds. Prior to this, negotiating roundabouts and tight corners was a real problem.

Now much improved but not completely.

Others report some improvement as well, others nothing.

Need some more time to be sure the tweak works.

I also read that the O2 injection gets the cat up to temp quicker. I am somewhat concerned that if the cat does not get hot enough, it may in time block up some and become more restrictive. Maybe a good thrashing now and again will fix this issue. An ‘Italian’ tune up I have heard it referred as.

Phobe:

Pete

Pete,

I'm afraid they're nothing alike as far as final drive mechanicals go.

Cheers,

Smithy.

I didn't notice any change in driveability or throttle behavior.

The O2 does indeed light the catalyst quicker, but I think the reason for that is to improve the reaction of the catalyst, not to move more gas through it. I can't see why it would plug up any sooner with or without it... but I'm not an engineer nor do I play one on TV.

When I eventually get around to installing a PCV and getting an autotune, the PAIR removal will come in handy.

I didn't notice any change in driveability or throttle behavior.

The O2 does indeed light the catalyst quicker, but I think the reason for that is to improve the reaction of the catalyst, not to move more gas through it. I can't see why it would plug up any sooner with or without it... but I'm not an engineer nor do I play one on TV.

When I eventually get around to installing a PCV and getting an autotune, the PAIR removal will come in handy.

Forget the auto tune! spend your money on a decent custom map !

just my 2 cents :fing02:

• 1 year later...

I don't know if anyone is offering a kit specific to the VFR but the PAIR valves are standard Honda parts bin stuff. The rear bank has 2 small valves which can be blocked off with CBR600 / 1000 plates and the front bank has one big valve that can be blocked off with a RC51 plate.

Does the VFR1200 have popping on deceleration with aftermarket pipes? On my last Honda that was the main reason for the block off plates. Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Mine does...somewhat significantly. It'd be nice if I could reduce that. Anyone have suggestions?

(Running a carbon-fiber Leo Vince SBK Evo II, PCV install using a Two-Brothers map)

Why does the decel burble need fixing? It does the bike absolutely no harm, and I actually like the sound very much, especially on some engines, like the Triumph triple.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Put marbles in, we all do. Cheap and very effective.

Also did it on a CBR1000RR, and works perfectly.
Yours shouldn't be much different.

I am also looking forward to remove it as soon as possible. I do not think it's essential. I would be willing to discussion its pollution-fighting benefits if anyone likes you but I will spare you the observation for now. I read out interesting and informative ideas. This will be helpful for me. thanks everyone...

• Member Contributer

There is no pollution benefits, it's just CO2-fraud, nothing else.

As they let us believe CO2 is a bad gas, in fact it is not.

CO2 is eaten by trees to make Oxygen, and that is what we use.

The whole CO2 thing they want us to believe is nothing more then raise taxes!

CO is bad gas, but they never talk about that, I wonder why?

I thought the purpose of any fresh air injection into the exhaust stream is to reduce unburnt fuel. CO is essentially a byproduct of incomplete combustion, and injecting O2 completes the "burn" and turns it into the more stable gas CO2.

Personally, I don't particularly care about emissions (not at this level anyway), but I see no driveability/performance benefit in removing the PAIR, at least not on the bikes I have/had. Even if it did, the 1200 already makes all the power I need... and more. That's just me. If it works for you, then great.

There is no pollution benefits, it's just CO2-fraud, nothing else.

As they let us believe CO2 is a bad gas, in fact it is not.

CO2 is eaten by trees to make Oxygen, and that is what we use.

The whole CO2 thing they want us to believe is nothing more then raise taxes!

CO is bad gas, but they never talk about that, I wonder why?

We need water to live so having way more than you need can't possibly cause any problems, can it?

I think you need to read more about CO2

• Member Contributer

I thought the purpose of any fresh air injection into the exhaust stream is to reduce unburnt fuel. CO is essentially a byproduct of incomplete combustion, and injecting O2 completes the "burn" and turns it into the more stable gas CO2.

Personally, I don't particularly care about emissions (not at this level anyway), but I see no driveability/performance benefit in removing the PAIR, at least not on the bikes I have/had. Even if it did, the 1200 already makes all the power I need... and more. That's just me. If it works for you, then great.

For any tuning, either dyno or auto-tune, it's advisable to remove it because they'll just have to "pinch it off" any way. Once going the DJ/Bazzaz route, bike runs better without it. If you aren't going to tune then I wouldn't mess with it either.

For any tuning, either dyno or auto-tune, it's advisable to remove it because they'll just have to "pinch it off" any way. Once going the DJ/Bazzaz route, bike runs better without it. If you aren't going to tune then I wouldn't mess with it either.

That makes sense. :fing02:

Archived