1993 vfr750 rebuild.

Guest DreStyleNY

Question

Guest DreStyleNY

OK, so here’s the story. This is my 1st post here and I have a real project. I just purchased a 93 750f and it’s had some case of neglect. It was low sided in 2003 and has sat since. I bought it on 7/3/10 since then I have yanked the carbs and cleaned the jets/bowls and checked the needles, (all came out well) after that she fired right up and runs STRONG!

I have De-Paired it, and removed just about ever unnecessary shield I could find. Wiring seems to be all good except the brake lights only work intermittently (I’ll open that can of worms later.) I yanked the Catalytic Converter and Canister along with the center stand and weighed them….. (31Lbs. Combined!!!!) They won’t be retuning to the bike.

Let me share my ideas

I want a free flowing under tail exhaust – Issues: I can’t seem to find a catless header to allow it. I will try to separate the existing catalytic converter from the header and weld on what I need to achieve this (That’s unless you guys have a better solution)

I need plastics, I don’t even have a gas tank. lol I’ve been running it with the tank from my lawnmower! Issues: I’m not quite sure what to use, stockers are out of the question but from what I hear 93ish cbr900 fairings seem to be the easiest to work with (again if you have a better solution please….)

The Forks are beat to shit, well... at least one, the previous owner let a backyard loser attempt to rebuild the forks and the right one has metal shavings in it somehow. I will chuck them both and replace with stock parts. Issues – I want to uses a stiffer spring and heavier oil but don’t know what springs will work.

Last – I need a tank – Issues: none

A bit about me: I’m 26yrs old, and an avid motorcyclist, Especially Canyons and Track. I have ridden Suzuki’s since 2005 and all the sudden fell in love with the V4 Honda. I don’t want to track this thing, but I know it can corner and simply want to get the most out of it. It will primarily be used as a commuter vehicle and an occasional canyon trip.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Feel free to drop any tricks of bit useful information that a newcomer to these bikes would not be aware of. I appreciate all of you input guys!!

I will continue this thread as it progresses, here’s the bike now

-Andre

DSCN0423.jpg

7/3/10

DSCN0425.jpg

7/3/10

DSCN0422.jpg

7/3/10

DSCN0433.jpg

7/7/10

DSCN0434.jpg

7/7/10

DSCN0435.jpg

7/7/10

Glad to see you bringing the bike back from the clutches of rust and dust.

For the exhaust system, that bike did not have a catalytic converter. What you are seeing there is a collector box. And yes, it is huge and heavy.

What will fit is the exhaust system from a 1994-1997 VFR750. It is tubular in construction, and no collector box.

You will lose your centerstand in the process, and will have to use a muffler and midpipe designed for the 1994-1997 bike.

Oh wait, I just re-read and you want to go undertail, so yeah, you can use the '94-'97 headpipes and mate them to whatever you have planned.

Delkevic makes some stainless steel pipes for the years in question. So does Motad.

As for the fuel tank, well, you've probably already checked EBAY.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?Model%2520Year=1990%7C1993%7C1991&_nkw=vfr750%20fuel%20tank&_dmpt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

I don't know if a later 750 fuel tank can be modified to fit or not. ???

I just fitted a 2006 VFR800 fuel tank on my '99 800 with a little work.

The other thing you might want to check/upgrade is the Regulator/Rectifier. Gen 3's are pretty notorious for crapping out. Plastics and tank, keep checking e-bay. 2 months ago there was a guy in NJ parting out his 93. He had it all. I love my 93. Just took it on a long ride (for me) from CT to Cape Cod and back in the same day. About 350 miles round trip. Was really comfortable. Good luck on the search.

thanks guys, i am trying to focus on on area at a time as not to get things all scattered. im not wooried about the center stand (it seems bent anyway) i have seen some tanks on ebay, but i am i bit worried about getting a rusty one....is that an issue for this year?

The other thing you might want to check/upgrade is the Regulator/Rectifier. Gen 3's are pretty notorious for crapping out. Plastics and tank, keep checking e-bay. 2 months ago there was a guy in NJ parting out his 93. He had it all. I love my 93. Just took it on a long ride (for me) from CT to Cape Cod and back in the same day. About 350 miles round trip. Was really comfortable. Good luck on the search.

i have a 14.5 volt read out at the battery at 2,000 rpm, Good?

Very Cool! I hope that Suzuki is your ride while you work on the '93.

Gang, it sounds like we have a candidate for a "Frankenviffer"

I was exactly where you are with a '93 I found less then 1 year ago and I will make the recomendations based on my experience.

My first recomendations is to become a regular on this site. There are lots of people who actually know what they are talking about and odds are someone posted something that will help you.

Body Work Options;

1. Save up your money and buy OEM style fairings from Thurn in Germany. Good quailty and fit and much less then finding all the OEM parts.

Do us all a favor and don't mention that you are buying or considering Airtech Fairings :biggrin:

2. Do a CBR conversion. I am doing a 03-04 600rr conversion. My 93 will be a track bike so I went with the least expensive bodywork I could find that would work.

This is not as straight forward as the people who have done this to the 94-97 because the coils need to be relocated and it is impacted by what you choose to do with your forks but it is not super difficult to complete

3. Build a street fighter.

Fuel Tank,

1. Just cruize Ebay they seem to pop up at reasonable prices. Just make sure it has the guts and do not pay more then $100.00 if possible.

Exhaust

1. You can put a post on the classified section for a "wanted to buy". I did that with mine and had 3 people offer their Two Brothers Full Exhaust systems.

2. You will find different replacement exhaust options on Ebay/ Web Searches (Delkevic, Sandy bike Spares) if you are going to by a "new" replacement system then buy one for the 94-97 models. It will bolt right on and you will have more options for slip ons.

Forks

1. You could have your existing set rebuilt and resprung

2. You can look for a set of CBR/VTR forks (I am not an expert on this mod but I know it has been done)

3. Or you could do an USD fork conversion. I went this route (2000 - R1 forks) and with a combination of parts ended up completing this project for about $800.00

There is a LOT of expertise on these boards and everyone I have worked with has been great. My biggest piece of advice is take your time to plan and get parts or you are going to spend way more $$ then you should.

Welcome aboard. Please reach out if I can help.

Looking at the top pic you have the OEM R/R. I would definatly be replacing that with a new one or one of the other suggestions on the board.

in one of the pictures there are some fairings on the grass. Some of them look like OEM VFR parts. Do not assume that this is "junk". Many of us are able to repaire and restore fairings and there is a market for those pieces. Please do not throw them away.

i have a 14.5 volt read out at the battery at 2,000 rpm, Good?

You should be getting 13.5 to 16.0 volts at 5,000 rpm. Try that out. But like viffer93 stated, it's an oem R/R and you should probably replace. It's just a matter of time before it goes. New ones (aftermarket) come with fins to dissipate heat. You can also move it to a location that gets more air, or add a fan to it. It's all about getting more cooling to the R/R. Good luck.

Welcome

I don't have a lot more to say that Viffer93 hasn't, think he pretty much covered it. The TBR headers are really nice, be prepared to spend $300 for it though (and I'd go for the left exit). As Veefer said the 4th gen (94-97) headers and collector will work and will be much cheaper.

14.5V sounds a little high, but it's probably fine. I'd replace the R/R while you're thinking about it, I spliced in a SV650 unit to mine, you can find them for less than $20 and keep your current one as a spare. Plus check all the connectors, they seem to burn out.

If you're going for an undertail exhaust, you might want to replace the subframe with one that already has the exhaust there. Some have put the 6th gen (02-09) tail on their 4th gens (pioneered by Fotomoto), not sure how it will work with a 3rd gen though.

Looks like a great project

• Member Contributer

I have a Pearl White gas tank for sale that is in excellent condition. It came from my old 1993 and already has an ST1300 tank pad attached. I can sell with or without the full lock set (tank cap, ignition switch, seat / helmet lock)

PM me your email for pics if you are interested. I also have various other parts (radiatior fan, oil pump, headlight assembly, calipers, and other misc body parts)

Rollin

Looking at the top pic you have the OEM R/R. I would definatly be replacing that with a new one or one of the other suggestions on the board.

in one of the pictures there are some fairings on the grass. Some of them look like OEM VFR parts. Do not assume that this is "junk". Many of us are able to repaire and restore fairings and there is a market for those pieces. Please do not throw them away.

yeah i have all of the tail sect. (some cracks) i have the right nose fairing (good shape) and a bunch of of stuff that i wont be using, (signal etc.) so i should list this stuff?

i have cut the collector off and exposed the ends (about 4more inches of straight pipe coming off the header, i need to clean it up a bit and will then bring a pipe bender home with me and make the mid pipe from scratch. so far its actually looking good. i just need to find some stainless pipe

DreStyleNY;

"yeah i have all of the tail sect. (some cracks) i have the right nose fairing (good shape) and a bunch of of stuff that i wont be using, (signal etc.) so i should list this stuff?"

Yes, I have posted lots of items that I was not going to use in the classified section. People need some of those parts and EVERYONE I have completed a transaction with have been awesome to work with. Forget posting the items on Ebay you want to sell VFR parts here.

This what my '93 looked like when I started and I have repaired and sold every piece of plastic from it. It helped to fund my project.

post-11427-089030200 1278689688_thumb.jp

DreStyleNY;

"yeah i have all of the tail sect. (some cracks) i have the right nose fairing (good shape) and a bunch of of stuff that i wont be using, (signal etc.) so i should list this stuff?"

Yes, I have posted lots of items that I was not going to use in the classified section. People need some of those parts and EVERYONE I have completed a transaction with have been awesome to work with. Forget posting the items on Ebay you want to sell VFR parts here.

This what my '93 looked like when I started and I have repaired and sold every piece of plastic from it. It helped to fund my project.

i'd trade all of it for a gas tank lol, i need a petcock rebuitd kit any sources for that?

DreStyleNY;

i'd trade all of it for a gas tank lol, i need a petcock rebuitd kit any sources for that?

Oldbikebarn?

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Street/Honda

haha, you guys thought i fell off the planet didn't ya!

Been getting my ass kicked by this bike. every step i take opens my eyes to how much more needs to be done. As you can all see, i chopped up a F4i subframe and actually custom set the seating position. that took alot of mach up and tedious BS, but hey, once done....always done :biggrin: the forks are a cross between a set from 91 and a set from 93. they have 91 pipes with th 93 fork leg and 93 springs (stiffer) also running 10w oil. The exhuast is much nicer in person and sounds great. i am in the process of installing the f4i fairing stay, (not easy) trying to figure out what the hell i am going to do with the gauges (dont wanna lose the fuel gauge). and last but not least, maching up the new plastics (in the mail now)

there... Updated

• Member Contributer

I've got a pearl white tank for sale that is in excellent condtion if you are still looking for one. It already has a ST1300 tank pad attached and is available with or without the complete lock set. The petcock and fuel sending unit are included and the tank pad alone costs over $60 (pics below)

Lemme know if you are interested.

Tank%20(1).JPG

Tank%20(2).JPG

Tank%20(3).JPG

Tank(4).JPG

Rollin

Great work

(yeah, I had lost faith and thought you had moved on)

What tail plastics are you going to fit? I like the custom exhaust, how much lighter is the F4i subframe than stock?

Keep it up (reminds me I'm due for an update on my build...)

• Member Contributer

great build on here... I love the commentary on drestyles vid HA HAAA "... it's a fuckin V-4 so it's gonna have some sound here..."

I think the "NY" in DreStyleNY means he's from Bwook-wyn, NY. You gotta' problem with dat? :biggrin:

Good stuff. :fing02: Don't let it kick your butt. If you get frustrated, just back off for a bit.

Archived