Budget GPS Recommendations

paulmeisterpk

• Member Contributer

I know this has probably been beaten do death, but I'm thinking of putting a GPS on a ram mount attached to the front tank bolts of my 98. I currently plan my routes on google maps, and print them out, put them in my pocket, and stop occasionally and look to see where I need to go.

I would like to get a GPS that I can plan a route with and doesn't just take me to my destination the quickest (and most boring) way possible.

I was thinking of a Garmin Nuvi, but I'm not sure if any resonably priced ones have the capabilities to plan a route with. I've found the Nuvi 855 for less than $160, but am not sure if it is any good.

I don't really care if it is waterproof, or has blue tooth. I just want to be able to look down every once in a while and see if I'm still on my route.

I would like to stay under $200 if possible for the whole setup, and with a $40 ram mount, that leaves about $160 for the GPS.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Paul

• Member Contributer

Whatever you do make sure that the GPS you get has flash based memory versus the ones that have internal hard drives because the vibrations from the bike can kill the non-flash units.

Also, if you don't mind a used unit I highly recommend the Garmin 2610 which can easily be found on Ebay for under $150. It hasn't been made in several years by Garmin but it is a reliable flash based waterproof unit, includes a very convenient remote control, and allows you to plan the routes on the Mapsource Software. This unit also has motorcycle accesories readily available (motorcycle mounting kit, hard-wired power kit.) The only feature it is lacking is a "breadcrumb" function which would allow you to track your current route on the fly but I have never really needed this feature since I pre-plan my routes 95% of the time. The units that V4 Rosso mentioned above are very similar to the Garmin 2610 that I own but they have the map data pre-loaded so there is a good chance that they have the internal hard drives which you want to avoid. Another downside to these older Garmin units is that they do not have internal batteries which means you would need an external power source in order to use it. Some people find this incovenient because they like to disconnect their units and play around with the routes while they are off their bikes. This has never been an issue for me since all my routes are pre-planned and the unit has the ability to re-routes with detours as needed.

I was so happy with my first unit that I bought a second identical unit to keep as a backup in case my first unit goes out.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I know this has probably been beaten do death, but I'm thinking of putting a GPS on a ram mount attached to the front tank bolts of my 98. I currently plan my routes on google maps, and print them out, put them in my pocket, and stop occasionally and look to see where I need to go.

I would like to get a GPS that I can plan a route with and doesn't just take me to my destination the quickest (and most boring) way possible.

I was thinking of a Garmin Nuvi, but I'm not sure if any resonably priced ones have the capabilities to plan a route with. I've found the Nuvi 855 for less than $160, but am not sure if it is any good.

I don't really care if it is waterproof, or has blue tooth. I just want to be able to look down every once in a while and see if I'm still on my route.

I would like to stay under $200 if possible for the whole setup, and with a $40 ram mount, that leaves about $160 for the GPS.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Paul

If you don't care about the unit being waterproof, get this

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Widescreen-Bluetooth-Navigator-Refurbished/dp/B002RWJHGW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277986171&sr=8-2

Amazon Item : B002RWJHGW

And a Cradle

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-nuvi-7xx-series-cradle.html

With whatever Ball and Arm setup you want.

You can upload custom routes and you also get lifetime free traffic. I have 2 units and both are working well. You also get one free map update to the latest version. Bluetooth is included

• Member Contributer

Here's a couple of sub $100 deals on buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/garmin-nuvi-1250-portable-gps-system-3-5-touchscreen-text-to-speech/q/loc/111/214112793.html

http://www.buy.com/prod/tomtom-xl-330-s-portable-gps-system-text-to-speech-4-3-touchscreen/q/loc/111/210601115.html

http://www.buy.com/prod/tomtom-one-130-s-3-5-gps-w-text-to-speech-refurbished/q/loc/111/210601114.html

I bought a refurbished TomTom from buy.com three years ago for $49.99. I still use it almost every day. I switch it between the car and the VFR. The RAM mount I bought for the VFR cost more than the GPS. Go figure. Just keep your eyes open for a good online deal. They're out there.

Ive been using my HTC incredible- Verizon. Im liking it. it fits the price range and the pics are turning out great too

• Member Contributer

Word of warning; I bought a TomTom One off of buy.com, refurb, for $80 or so a year ago and I'm really not that happy with it. Why? The radio section is pretty trashy, it's very slow to pick up a GPS signal at power-up sometimes, and it doesn't matter where I'm at for it to happen. We're talking minutes. Also it sometimes glitches out, I assume the radio section is at fault again. So I'll take a turn that it's instructed me to take, but the cursor doesn't follow my movement, like the GPS unit thinks I've gone straight ahead. Then the screen goes dark because it's lost signal. It's frustrating.

I'm not saying they're all like this and it's been helpful overall but I don't like the mapping software it uses and I don't like the issues I've had with mine. Next time I'm probably getting a Garmin.

• Member Contributer

The units that V4 Rosso mentioned above are very similar to the Garmin 2610 that I own but they have the map data pre-loaded so there is a good chance that they have the internal hard drives which you want to avoid.

No, they have flash memory too. The Streetpilot 2610 is also a very good motorcycle GPS but unfortunately you won't be able to buy newer map software (incompatible file format), so when you buy a 2610 (not the 2620 with internal harddrive) make sure it has the latest available maps installed. The 2720 & 2820 are still upgradable with the latest maps.

• Member Contributer

So far, I've got recommendations for and am seriously considering:

Garmin 2610 or 2720/2820

Garmin Quest

Garmin Nuvi 765

Kung-fu GPS (although I can't seem to find any called Kung-Fu on Ebay)

I am also considering the Nuvi 855. What do you guys think of this one? It appears to have custom route planning. Can anyone confirm this? It supposedly has internal solid-state memory as well.

your kungfu is not strong.

here you go:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=kungfu+gps&_sacat=See-All-Categories

• Member Contributer

your kungfu is not strong.

here you go:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=kungfu+gps&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Thanks, I am really considering picking one of these up. I haven't heard of many troubles with it. But then again, I dont know much about GPS systems. I'm assuming I can upload totally custom routes to this unit.

That Magellan uses a skinned version of Nav-N-Go iGO8, the same software as the Kungfu, but with a different look. You can load custom routes from Google maps. You can also customize it to do a lot of different things, if you are into that. Looks like a great deal at that price and I think you'd be a fool to get a Kunfu instead.

I know this has probably been beaten do death... What would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Paul

Once you have a GPS and you're ready to mount, be sure to check out the 20 different mounting options that have been discussed around here:

For the 5thGen, I think this is the way to go:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50926&st=0

I found the steering tube mount was worthless, it was never tight enough to keep the GPS supported for very long. I also tried the tank bolt mount, but found the mount adjustment and removal was less accessible than mounting at the left bar. I used to switch the GPS between my VFR and my Dakar pretty often, so I wouldn't have to buy a second mount.

This thread has some good options as well:

• Member Contributer

That Magellan uses a skinned version of Nav-N-Go iGO8, the same software as the Kungfu, but with a different look. You can load custom routes from Google maps. You can also customize it to do a lot of different things, if you are into that. Looks like a great deal at that price and I think you'd be a fool to get a Kunfu instead.

I had no idea. Now I am really torn between this and the KungFu. I do all my current route mapping on google maps.

• Member Contributer

Anyone that was interested in that Magellan at Costco, the deal is now over. I just tried the link and it said "sorry that product is no longer available.".

Sorry guys.

Anyone that was interested in that Magellan at Costco, the deal is now over. I just tried the link and it said "sorry that product is no longer available.".

Sorry guys.

The latest Garmin model I purchased was an inexpensive one Costco had for under $200 that is excellent and includes traffic alerts and posted speed limits which I find very handy.

I've been using GPS units for many years now in cars, boats and planes and would only consider a Garmin. Whenever I had to use a Magellan it was a disappointment in accuracy and software logic. I also think that any of the latest Garmin would probably be a better choice than any older model. I have had a few Tom Tom's for my kids and they would be my second choice. Tom Tom makes a motorcycle version but I have no experience with it.

The Garmin web site is very informative and should be able to help you choose the correct one. Probably the single most important feature is having accurate updated maps.

just my two cents.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my TomTom rider factory reman on ebay for $77, works great. I made my own mount and modified the supplied 12 volt power supply and hard wired it into the bike via relay. Total cost to me was $85 for the whole thing.

Archived