Best Motorcycle and Motorcycle Gear/Accessory Shops in North America

ECX585

• Member Contributer

So I was wondering.........where in the country are the must-see motorcycle and motorcycle gear/accessory shops? Where could (should) one stop to try on the greatest assortment of gear, fit the best selection of luggage and accessories, or test ride the latest models?

I've been told Iron Pony in Columbus, OH is a great place to go. I've been to Chaparral in San Bernardino, CA and was impressed by the size and selection.

+1 on Iron Pony. Picture an ex-KMart building full of riding gear, accessories, racks of tires and some parts. Unless you're looking for something very specific you could easily spend 2-3 hours just wandering around finding stuff you'd like to buy.

They have a great selection of luggage as far as tankbags, tailbags and soft saddlebags go, including stuff for sportbikes, sport-tourers and cruisers. Riding gear from most if not all mainstream manufacturers. Close-out goods mostly in the front area of the store, but sale items scattered throughout the place. Also, literally racks full of tires for all kinds of bikes. Great selection of boots but their helmet selection is even better!

The store is separated by riding gear brands, types of gear (sportbike, cruiser and dirtbike), gender, close-outs and accessories. They even have maps of the layout for the whole store when you walk in the front door, which is a good thing.

I get there a couple times per year, usually when I'm shopping for something specific - and even then I'm in there for an hour or two! They may not always have the best deals, but for on-site selection it's the best I've ever seen.

BTW, they also have some bikes for sale at the right rear corner of the store, via Yamaha of Columbus.

Competition Accessories in Springfield, OH (about an hour west of Columbus, and just off I-70) is also a large store with a good selection of gear and accessories, but IMO it's not even close to Iron Pony in size and selection. They also sell some new and used bikes there. IIRC the prices seemed pretty fair, too.

Iron Pony's close out section is bigger than any bike shops entire gear selection I've seen up here in Ontario. It is truly massive and last year myself and a few other Canucks did spent a few hours wandering around there.

• Member Contributer

Only been to Iron Pony a few times in the last couple years, but each time it takes me about 10 minutes for my jaw to return to a normal position from viewing the scale of the place. Definately a kid in the candy store jackpot. :wheel:

Its probably just as well I dont live closer to it, my credit card would be in trouble.

• Member Contributer

Iron Pony is awesome. It's about three hours away from my house but it's so much fun to go there, that lately I have been making a habit of riding down there and taking the wheels off in their parking lot when I need tires. However, ultimately it's really the Parts Unlimited catalog your local Honda dealer orders from, made flesh. The ability to see and touch all those items, and try them on for size, and get the instant gratification of taking them home today, is an awesome thing and I love it.

But there are a lot of brands that I find desirable, that are not distributed through that particular channel, and which are not found there. So here are a few other shops:

The Vanson factory store in Fall River MA. Vanson makes high quality racing leathers. I had a nightmare ordeal getting them to actually get the work done when I ordered a custom size, bad enough that I wouldn't recommend custom Vanson leathers to anyone. But if you can walk in there and find something you like already made, you can buy it on the spot. And there must have been thousands of beautiful riding jackets in that room, including some clearance and factory second items that were screaming deals. I do so wish I wore a standard size!

Adventure Motostuff in Carson City NV. This is a great place to see large selections from brands that are popular with the adventure touring and sport touring crowds, which are not widely distributed through channels like the Parts Unlimited catalog. Givi, Krauser, PIAA, Ram Mounts, Gerbing, etc. I'm told that the Twisted Throttle store in Rhode Island is similar but I haven't been there (yet). I guess Amotostuff is the place to visit on your trip west, and Twisted Throttle is the place to visit if your trip takes you east. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Moto Liberty in Dallas, TX (and now San Antonio). Great gear selection.

www.motoliberty.com

Chaparral in San Bernardino is like going to Costco but just all motorcycles. Definitely the biggest I've seen. They also carry all 4 major Japanese brands as well as KTM! :laughing6-hehe:

Maybe not as big as the ones already mentioned, but I like "Road Rider" in San Jose, CA very much, Plus they have a great big start of the season sale every year where I have scored a lot of great buys through the years on top of the line gear........with free hotdogs and soda all day to all shoppers!

Beck

95 VFR

• 1 month later...

Kinda surprised I haven't seen mention of Dennis Kirk or J & P Cycle. Dennis Kirk is in Rush City Minnesota and J & P is in Anamosa Iowa. I haven't actually been to either but I've talked to folks who have and they've been impressed. Another is Shadetree Powersports. They have locations in Big Lake Minnesota and Middlefield Ohio. At least those are the bunch that send me catalogs sometimes, but yeah, it does seem like most of them all get their stuff from either Parts Unlimited or from Western.

• Member Contributer

Chaparral seals all you purchases in plastic bags (to deter shoplifting). Then when you exit the building, they check the bags again. You can't leave without being checked by security. After a few times of that, I stopped going in. Their prices aren't great, they just have everything. It all adds up to a no-shopping zone for me.

• 1 month later...

Archived