Smelly trunk / top box liner!

SEBSPEED

I recently bought an OEM top box and rack from a member here. He was kind enough to include the Honda top box bag liner. Unfortunately, the contents of the box had been locked up wet or damp for quite some time, and now the box, the pad in the box, and the Honda bag liner all have a really nasty cat pee smell to them. I let them air out for 2 days in the sunshine outside, but they still smell horrible.

I could just ask my Mom what she would do, and have my own ideas too(BURN THEM! lol), but I know some of you have had this trouble too... how did you get rid of the stink? Soap & water? Febreeze? Baking soda?

The good news is, the weathertight seal is intact and works REALLY well! :fing02: :blush:

Probably limited help but...

You're looking to get a cleaning product that removes/kills MOULD. Start with usual stuff, bleach, TSP. I have a recipe at home for cleaning plastic lawn chairs of mould and grunge. Off the top of my head, its bleach, water softener, dish soap and I think borax. It works great but it has bleach in it, so the liner bag is not gonna look the same after your finished using it. I'll post the proper mix later tonight.

Brian

• Member Contributer

If you know anybody that has a Melaleuca account or you can order it direct they have a produce called SOL-U-MEL.

http://www.melaleuca...ory.aspx?id=109

I left a helmet outside at a friends house for a year, needless to say it was totaled. Smell like a mens locker room, couple a treatments with this stuff and no smell. Still have it.

• Member Contributer

you are goinna wanna clean that sucker out. i would use a bathroom/kitchen spray cleaner for the inner case... something not to harsh for the plastics, and will have a nice fresh scent:)

as for the liner... i have non-honda liners, and would put them thru the washer without hesitation. cold water, for a short cycle, and air dry.

How about some FDS?

If it doesn't work, at least you'll feel confident! :blush:

:fing02:

Maybe I should ask Oyama how he cleaned his top box after this happened to him... ?

2007_07_04_moldy_gloves.jpg

you are goinna wanna clean that sucker out. i would use a bathroom/kitchen spray cleaner for the inner case... something not to harsh for the plastics, and will have a nice fresh scent:)

as for the liner... i have non-honda liners, and would put them thru the washer without hesitation. cold water, for a short cycle, and air dry.

Washing machine was my first thought, but my wife has mold allergies(along w/ many others), and so I'll skip on introducing mold to the washer for now.

• Member Contributer

Vinegar!!!!

That stuff kills sour smells like you would not believe.

I would soak it in a 50/50 solution for a few days and then throw it in the wash with some more vinegar.

My girlfriend goes through about 2 gallons of cheap white vinegar each week washing the dishrags she piles up and get to smelling sour.

It is amazing stuff........... although I take the stance that prevention is better than a good cheap fix.

Washing machine was my first thought, but my wife has mold allergies(along w/ many others), and so I'll skip on introducing mold to the washer for now.

Laundromat?

Too cheap to go and wash just the bag. :blush:

edit: And too big of a conscience to bring my dirty shop rags along... :fing02:

Laundromat?

edit: And too big of a conscience to bring my dirty shop rags along... :fing02:

Meh, they have dedicated machines for work clothes and coveralls.......

• Member Contributer

Laundromat?

edit: And too big of a conscience to bring my dirty shop rags along... :cheerleader:

................................you poooswah. It'll cost ya' five bucks.....go at night.....when no one's around. :fing02:

................and yeah.....I like Chevs vinegar trick too. Soak all that crap and then.......bloop.....leave the smell for the locals. :fing02:

Vinegar!!!!

I would soak it in a 50/50 solution for a few days and then throw it in the wash with some more vinegar.

My girlfriend goes through about 2 gallons of cheap white vinegar each week washing the dishrags she piles up and get to smelling sour.

It is amazing stuff........... although I take the stance that prevention is better than a good cheap fix.

Sounds good, but is it going to strip the cheap chrome off the zipper pulls? They already started corroding from being in the box. I know vinegar will strip rust...

• Member Contributer

Vinegar!!!!

Sounds good, but is it going to strip the cheap chrome off the zipper pulls? They already started corroding from being in the box. I know vinegar will strip rust...

........................sure will. I used vinegar to soak files in........it'll clean just about everything. You're handy with the 'ole spray bomb.......I don't see a problem here. :blush:

• Member Contributer

...........hey.....do you think you really need all that spacious weight in the tail wheelie boy? :blush:

...........hey.....do you think you really need all that spacious weight in the tail wheelie boy? :fing02:

Whatchu talkin bout Willis? :cheerleader: tongue.gif

Jess will appreciate the backrest(came w/ the pad too), and the trunk space. I want to take her out for a weekend or two this year, that's the only time I'll put the trunk on. Price was too good to not buy it... $250 shipped for trunk with pad/bag liner & oem rack + fasteners. Just needs a color match. :blush:

• Member Contributer

Simple answer - Febreze

http://www.febreze.com/en_US/home.do

You can find this at a grocery store or a drug store, popular stuff, it really kills odors as opposed to covering them up

Buy the stuff made to spray onto fabric

BTW- I use this in my helmet after a long hot ride...

They make stuff for killing pet odor comes in a spray can. I had a female cat that spraied my snowmobile jacket 2 years ago. Washed it 4 times still had a odor to it. Spraied it with this stuff smell was gone in seconds.

• Member Contributer

How about some FDS?

If it doesn't work, at least you'll feel confident! :biggrin:

:laughing6-hehe:

Maybe I should ask Oyama how he cleaned his top box after this happened to him... ?

2007_07_04_moldy_gloves.jpg

OMG I would have taken that thing out back and lit it on fire... yuck :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I'm just glad you added "/top box liner" to the title. "Smelly trunk" would have led this thread in a whole 'nuther direction! :biggrin:

I'm just glad you added "/top box liner" to the title. "Smelly trunk" would have led this thread in a whole 'nuther direction! :laughing6-hehe:

Yep, chose my wording carefully a few times! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I'm just glad you added "/top box liner" to the title. "Smelly trunk" would have led this thread in a whole 'nuther direction! :laughing6-hehe:

Yep, chose my wording carefully a few times! :biggrin:

.............kinda' like "observing" the speed limit huh? :laughing6-hehe:

Archived