Help me fit my HIGH MOUNT

Ranger77

Question

• Member Contributer

Ok. I won a high mount off of ebay and I didnt know that the '98-'99 fit different (funny though cause websites just say '98-01). O well, this piece to me is rare so I went ahead and won the sucker.

Here are some pics of how the pipe looks. I need to know what you would do to make the pipe get closer the wheel for a better alignment with the tail.

1. Bend the bottom bend more and pull the pipe off the header a little, then clamp down?

2. Bend both bends to make fit?

VFRhighmount1Large.jpg

VFRhighmount2Large.jpg

VFRhighmount3Large.jpg

VFRhighmount4Large.jpg

VFRhighmount5Large.jpg

VFRhighmount6Large.jpg

VFRhighmount7Large.jpg

VFRhighmount8Large.jpg

VFRhighmount9Large.jpg

13 answers to this question

I think your problem is once the pipe is bolted up using the footpeg hole, you dont like the angle?

So bending the connector "up" pipe wont fix this. You'd need to change the angle of the pipe aft of the footpeg, and the only way may be to cut and re-weld it where the pipe meets the end-can.

• Member Contributer

POST-JACKING, I don't think I've ever seen anyone using the Dunlop 616. It almost looks like a dual sport tread pattern but Dunlop's website does show it in the sport catagory. You happy with it?

• Member Contributer

heres a thought.. get another rear footpeg mount and cut off the muffler mount.. and make a braket that bolts to the sub frame like a high mount should.. up under the fairing.

• Member Contributer

There should be a lot of play in the mid pipe by rotating it on the header? Put the strap mount on the muffler, rotate the mid pipe around until you get it where you want. If nothing is actually bent it should tuck under more like this:

IM000805Medium.jpg

IM000796Medium.jpg

• Member Contributer

The high mount muffler bracket is on its way. I have the one I had the machinist make bolted up in the pics.

I dont like the angle cause it shoots the muffler out away from the bike. It's like those ricers with their fart cans that are too big and they just bend them down to fit under their bumpers.

I'd have no problems with the D616's. Of course I dont have a track or really twisted roads here so I only hit the side walls so often. Wish I would have marked my beginning mileage to see how many miles are on them. They seem to be lasting.

• Member Contributer

Ranger, I'd have a new pipe bent. The reason it's pointing outward is the distance from the connection to the header to the first bend is too short.

POST-JACKING, I don't think I've ever seen anyone using the Dunlop 616. It almost looks like a dual sport tread pattern but Dunlop's website does show it in the sport catagory. You happy with it?

I tried them. Hated them from the time I put them on until I finally wore the tread down enough on the rear to justify replacing them. Weird (to me) profile made the bike feel like it was going to fall over in turns and they never really felt like they had good grip. Took almost 700 miles before the front stopped slipping in moderate turns.

• Member Contributer

Ranger, I'd have a new pipe bent. The reason it's pointing outward is the distance from the connection to the header to the first bend is too short.

I tried them. Hated them from the time I put them on until I finally wore the tread down enough on the rear to justify replacing them. Weird (to me) profile made the bike feel like it was going to fall over in turns and they never really felt like they had good grip. Took almost 700 miles before the front stopped slipping in moderate turns.

I wonder if you got a bad set cause mine gripped like new sneakers on a basketball court. They've lost some grip but I only have a 1/2" chicken strip from city riding.

I've tried rotating the pipe but its right up against the arm. If I rotate up, it just smacks the arm harder, if I rotate down the pipe is still hitting the arm and trying to get its self from under it. Working on a vid.

There should be a lot of play in the mid pipe by rotating it on the header? Put the strap mount on the muffler, rotate the mid pipe around until you get it where you want. If nothing is actually bent it should tuck under more like this:

:fing02:

Loosen the clamp on the mid pipe at the collector and just rotate the mid pipe down some, it will pull it down and in which is just what you want! wink.gif

• Member Contributer

With just 2 bends, you would have bugger all adjustment by rotation.

If the final bend sticks outwards, that's the one you need to change.

Make sure you are comfortable with the lower bend in regards to tyre and foot positioning.

Looks like you may get away with just one alteration.

• Member Contributer

Ya'll are killing me on the "just rotate it." Uploading vid.

:wheel: :goofy:

Looking down from over the bike, if you rotate the midpipe clockwise, it wouldn't pull the muffler in closer? Vid would help, no way of knowing if you may actually have a bent piece somewhere. You can get that Micron tucked in!

IM000816Medium.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yeah, looks like something is bent. I really don't think there are different pipes between the cat and cat-less headers. Can you bolt & clamp it all together and muscle it in to place like you want? Otherwise, I think you're on the right track, have someone add a little more angle to the lower bend.

Archived