Buell Foot Pegs

jaimev34

Question

• Member Contributer

I have a set of these, but they don't fit perfectly. After reading BLS' thread about the lowering blocks, it got me thinking about possibly getting a pair, but first I'd like to see if I can make these fit. I haven't tried fitting them in a while, but I think the problem was that there was too much space between the part of the Buell pegs that fits into the part on the bike; I may be wrong though.

Anyway, what have any of you done to make these work on your bikes? Baileyrock: I read that you have them. Did you have to make any mods to make it work?

23 answers to this question

Yeah, I did the Buell pegs some time back and think they were xb12 pegs or something like that. They were too wide for the VFR brackets so I did have to file/grind down the width a little, then drove steel sleeves into a slightly bored out hole so that stock pins would work better.

I guess there's other Buell model pegs that bolt in.

I now have a set of BLS blocks that I'll try once I start riding again. Things of beauty. :fing02:

You can also use the Pegs I helped design:

Tapered%20Crosstrax%20Drop%20Peg.jpg

and

Sidetrax%20Drop%20Pegsjpg.jpg

They are made by a small outfit called KnightDesignLLC...company out of Oregon. He made them after people were buying his Buell pegs and modifying them. I love my 1" dropped pegs (polished aluminum for me), and you can get them in different colors and even 2 tread surfaces.

You can get them from ordering through me:

http://www.wiremybike.com/index.php?cPath=47&osCsid=a3795f8a15ed6c9e10dc31a3226a643c

or directly from them:

http://knightdesignllc.com/index_files/Page2007.htm

Price is the same, but I combine shipping and orders over $100 ship free.

Found a few pics from 08 when I did this, like I mentioned I had to grind them down along with the pins I added to fit. :fing02:

post-301-126696894451_thumb.jpg

post-301-12669689677_thumb.jpg

Like I said BLS blocks are coming soon. wink.gif

They/Those are the Buell XB9S Pegs. I had them until I dropped my bike and snapped one off. Just like Kevin shows, you have to insert a shim to get to the fit proper but they fit perfect if done correctly. I now have BLS blocks though. Not taking away from BLS but they position the pegs in about the same place at a much lower cost. Although BLS's block installation is a lot simpler.

• Member Contributer

I did the buell peg mod last year but used the ulysses pegs as they are a direct fit no need to grind anything. They are about a 3/4inch drop with almost no movement back, maybe 1/8 inch tops over stock.

I'm 6foot4 and found this to me a major improvement in the confort level on the bike without taking away any feel of the bike. Can easily run a fuel tank with out getting off for a break, get gas and ride for another 200miles.

Stock

100_2620.jpg

Ulysses

100_2621.jpg

Left leg stock / right leg Ulysses

100_2622.jpg

I'll have to take a look, but I'm sure I've got the parts bag they came in somewhere. The silver ones are about 1/3 of the black ones.

• Member Contributer

#N0006.1AD is the part number for the set for $26. If go to your local machine shop and get a bronze valve guide. There is a common size that will adapt the peg to the bike. It will fit into the peg by heating the peg in the oven and putting the bushing in the freezer for a couple hours. I forget the size of the guide, just take the peg and pin with you, one guide cut in half will work. I did end up slightly enlarging the center of the guide. The easiest way to do this is to put the drill bit in a bench vise and chuck the guide in the drill motor, before you cut it. If you try to do it the normal way, you'll ruin the guide trying to hold it.

• Member Contributer

#N0006.1AD is the part number for the set for $26. If go to your local machine shop and get a bronze valve guide. There is a common size that will adapt the peg to the bike. It will fit into the peg by heating the peg in the oven and putting the bushing in the freezer for a couple hours. I forget the size of the guide, just take the peg and pin with you, one guide cut in half will work. I did end up slightly enlarging the center of the guide. The easiest way to do this is to put the drill bit in a bench vise and chuck the guide in the drill motor, before you cut it. If you try to do it the normal way, you'll ruin the guide trying to hold it.

It took me about 10 mijnutes to grind them to fit. I did not use a spacer guide for the hole and they fit just fine.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have a part number, year or price for this ulysses mod?

Cost me $75canadian for the pair... Only thing yo need to do is add a small washer to help tighen everything up a bit. The VFR uses a 8mm peg pin where these are about 11mm.

med_gallery_8630_2135_43929.jpg

• Member Contributer

While I dig the cheaper cost of the Buell pegs, those things are hideously fat!

Yep, theys be ugly. And I like the feel of the rubber part of the stockers. I believe I have the uly pegs, so I'll try 'em out for a weekend and see how they feel. If they don't work out, I may get some BLS specials, as these would allow me to keep my stock pegs.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Member Contributer

Not too ugly, but not too pretty either. That's why I step on them all the time. And they are not fat! They're husky!

Yep, theys be ugly. And I like the feel of the rubber part of the stockers. I believe I have the uly pegs, so I'll try 'em out for a weekend and see how they feel. If they don't work out, I may get some BLS specials, as these would allow me to keep my stock pegs.

Thanks for all the replies.

I found the way the tread was cut on the ones I use (top pictured version) that I didn't slip around at all. I like the sportier cut for sure, and the lack of curb feeler makes the drop distance almost immaterial. Additionally they were engineered to be exactly the same fore/aft placement, so only small adjustment to the shifter and brake pedal are needed....no special tools or sanding/modifying. I only miss the rubber when it comes to a bit of vibration dampening...but then I tell myself I am just more attuned to the road.

• Member Contributer

While I have no idea which pegs will work, you can find some Buell pegs with similar part numbers on Ebay.

Top rated seller, 100% positive feedback.

Silver- $34.95 + $5.80 shipping.

Silver

Black - $84.95 + $5.80 shipping.

Black

• Member Contributer

Have you had a chance to get them on? I've always heard that Ulysses pegs were pretty much plug and play, curious if the firebolt pegs were as well.

Archived