NGK CR9EKPA multi-ground plug

Veefer800Canuck

Question

http://www.ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pid=CR9EKPA&x=57&y=9

So once again, I find myself on the prowl for a deal for my buddy Craig. Hey, what are friends for, right?

He went to the Kawi dealer and asked about a set of sparkplugs for his ZX12R.

They say, sure, no problem, $32 apiece. He walks out the door. Rightly so. :goofy:

I can get the same genuine NGK plugs on EBAY for $12.29 each all day long, so I've got a set ready to go for him. :goofy:

In my wanderings, I discovered BRISK sparkplugs, which have been mentioned here before. But enough of that. tongue.gif

What piqued my interest was that BRISK specs the same sparkplug for both the ZX-12R and 5th gen VFR800. :491:

So, if the BRISK unit fits both bikes, then technically, you should be able to PHYSICALLY interchange a CR9EKPA and a CR9EHIX-9 or CR9EH-9. :goofy:

CR9EKPA

ngk36b-2.jpg

CR9EHIX-9

NGK3797-2.jpg

CR9EH-9

cr6eh.jpg

Specs for thread, heat range, reach, etc all look the same off the NGK website, so I think they oughta fit. +1.gif

Just wondering if there would be any benefit to a VFR owner from the multi-ground plugs? :goofy:

Compare:

http://www.ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pid=CR9EKPA&x=57&y=9

http://www.ngk.com/results_appOther.asp?otherMotiveID=225200&mfid=1

Discuss.

16 answers to this question

Hiya, forgive the chirp from the peanut gallery, I can only say that if the heat range and its reach (length of thread incl. ground tip), are the same, then it's a go.

I use Bosch double ground (same idea as the CR9EKPA) on the cage (2.3 Honda), and they are 'ok'.

Actually have a question; I can't find NGK's for my 4th gen around here, Bosch lists the XR4DC as interchangeable, but I'd rather go with something that's been used before.

Would anyone know of a plug, other than the cr9eh-9 that's listed for this 97??

Thanks!

post-18314-126650857575_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

Watched "The world's fastest Indian" last night so I'd say if Munro can run 200mph on plugs that have probably been in the engine for yonks, forget any significant improvement from these double jobbies... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Would anyone know of a plug, other than the cr9eh-9 that's listed for this 97??

Back when I was having issues with my 4th gen, I was using splitfire plugs. They were dirt cheap from JC Whitney. They didn't seem to work as well though, but when I'm fouling plugs left and right, I didn't care. However, I would recommend the CR9EH9s or the iridium ones. I was buying them off of ebay for $30 a 4 pack or something around there.

dose anyone have a clue if a cr8eh-9 ngk work in a 5th gen?It's a little hotter plug then the oe plug.

I have the above and would like to be able to use it but not if would do more harm then good.

• Member Contributer

I have talked to people that build race engines about this....heres what they say....its a gimmick...buy a good quality conventional plug as you only get one chance to light the fuel mix and a regular plug throws enough of a spark pattern to do just that. Now on the other hand...seems like a multi ground would reduce fouling if you used it in an old 2 stroke with some bad bean oil.

I can't find NGK's for my 4th gen around here,

EBAY: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390137632126&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Those are Iridiums, I bet the same seller has the standard plugs too.

Yes, the CR8 works fine. It's the "Cold Weather" plug, whatever that means. I've had them on the bike before without much issues.

The replacement engine goes in this weekend,so I might as well change the plugs now since the engine on the kitchen floor.

a VFR engine will fit in a miata trunk though it was a sight.

I have run the double electrode plug youve posted . Not in the vfr

Its a plug that will go double the life of a typical platinum plug. Power wise, nothing you'd notice , or atleast I didnt. But I liked the plug in comparison.

The only difference, might be in where its not the standard plug and the double eletrode takes up a little space increasing compression. But Not something that really you'd feel.

All in all, on the VFR I go with the longest life , and That's Iridium stock plug

EBAY: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390137632126&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Those are Iridiums, I bet the same seller has the standard plugs too.

Yeh, but most sellers won't ship to Mexico even tho I tell them I have a perfectly shiny amex card. oh well... may get them shipped to friends near the border.

However this aft. went shopping and one snotty sales guy said "wanna try these OKO ones from Taiwan?, half the price of the NGK's and they even have the same part number". Ok, why the h. not. I' burning substandard gas at 5,000ft A.S.L.! lol.

Will report on them later, I bet they will be fine, I'll just change them sooner or when I get the Iridiums, which, BTW, would be 3x that price here. Copper NGK's are $40. a pack.

They look just as shiny and perfectly machined as NGK's. And lots of sportbike manuf. are now in Taiwan...

OKO Spark plug linky -I get a warm-fuzzy feeling reading their intro;

"Chung Yi industrial Co., Ltd., established in 1984, are specialized in motorcycle spare parts & accessories making and retrofit fine production. Our company always adheres to sincere and steady spirit to keep improving, researching and developing new products for the market and expand constantly. "

Well, I bought the plugs.

(but not for my bike, I got them for my buddy with the ZX-12r)

For me, from the same seller, I got a set of Denso Iridiums for only $34.95

Normal electrodes, look just like the regular NGK iridiums for our VFRs.

I can't honestly remember when ??? I last changed my plugs, I figured I'd just do it, since the bike will be all apart and stuf.

I DID remove, inspect and gap the existing plugs last year before the Summit Meet, and they LOOKED fine, but what-ev.

I DID remove, inspect and gap the existing plugs last year before the Summit Meet, and they LOOKED fine, but what-ev.

Don't gap iridium plugs - that's a no-no, you'll damage the electrode. It sucks, but they don't even want you to clean them. Remove and replace if dirty.

Don't gap iridium plugs - that's a no-no, you'll damage the electrode. It sucks, but they don't even want you to clean them. Remove and replace if dirty.

My new Denso Iridiums came with a dire warning sticker not to gap them. So I didn't, I just installed them as-is, so I wouldn't crash and burn then die.

The old NGK iridiums that I had re-gapped seemed to work absolutely fine going to Colorado and back. When I checked the gap, they were large, so I gently tapped the side (ground) electrode on my workbench until the gap was correct, and when checking them, I didn't force anything to widen the gap, so I guess I didn't damage the iridium tips.

Oh well, live and learn. No harm no foul, a bird in the hand gets the worm, too many cooks will set you free, fools seldom judge a book by it's cover, the squeaky wheel turns the other cheek, etc, etc (Ian are you listening to this drivel?) :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I've heard that you can adjust the side electrode, but don't want to touch the center electrode. Which begs the question, how can you tell what the gap is without doing that? So I'm just careful about it and don't wrench on the center electrode.

Archived