How do I tie down my VFR?

Guest WestgateVRF

Guest WestgateVRF

Hi there,

so I am picking up my 4th Gen VFR this weekend. I am using a hitch mounted rail carrier to transport it from SF to LA. My question is, how do I secure the bike? Can I just run tie-downs up to the bars or does the fairing interfere?

Thanks,

Tim

You NEED this.... plus sturdy tie downs... Its really the only way IMO

Canyon dancer

+1 on the Canyon Dancer. There is another tie harness out there too, but can't think of the name. Also, if the straps touch the bike anywhere, stick a rag or something between them so you don't get rub marks on the fairings. Make sure to tie up and ends of the straps also so they don't blow on the bike and rub.

• Member Contributer

I use Canyon Dancers on my bikes whether in the bed or on a trailer. I use these PVC pipe things to help protect the grips..sch 40 pipe at Home Depot. Just use the extenders/joints to help prevent the dancers from riding up on the grip housings.

med_gallery_2144_2004_319941.jpg

Edited to add........

2029439530099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I use Canyon Dancers on my bikes whether in the bed or on a trailer. I use these PVC pipe things to help protect the grips..sch 40 pipe at Home Depot. Just use the extenders/joints to help prevent the dancers from riding up on the grip housings.

med_gallery_2144_2004_319941.jpg

Edited to add........

2029439530099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Have you seen the new canyon dancers they have that hard plastic piece built it...Oh the other company name is cycle chinch

Hitch mounted rail carrier? One of those things that goes in your trailer hitch and the bike sits in it sideways to the long axis of your car/truck?

Why not rent a U Haul low trailer? They rent one that's perfect for motorcycles.

Hitch mounted rail carrier? One of those things that goes in your trailer hitch and the bike sits in it sideways to the long axis of your car/truck?

Why not rent a U Haul low trailer? They rent one that's perfect for motorcycles.

I have a purpose-built hitch on my Range Rover that is good for 1,000 lbs tongue weight, and I have 400miles to go. Trailer is limited to 55mph and I already have the rail carrier for my dirt bike.

• Member Contributer

I have a purpose-built hitch on my Range Rover that is good for 1,000 lbs tongue weight, and I have 400miles to go. Trailer is limited to 55mph and I already have the rail carrier for my dirt bike.

I wouldn't worry about the hitch rating. A class II or III could easily handle the bike's weight. I would be worried about the rail itself holding up with a much heavier bike than a dirt bike. I HAVE seen 600cc sport bikes on similar carriers while out on the road and they were rockin' and rollin' and wobbling all over the place. I didn't want to be anywhere near them and a VFR is even heavier. I would still go for the purpose built U-Haul moto trailer. They are very cheap to rent. Just my paranoid opinion.

• Member Contributer

Check out weight limit for your rail tooooo. I have read when checking them out that they are limited to 500 lbs which is right on the limit for a VFR.

• Member Contributer

Check out weight limit for your rail tooooo. I have read when checking them out that they are limited to 500 lbs which is right on the limit for a VFR.

I've seen guys take their cbr 600 to the track on one of those. Think he tied at least one strap from the exposed side of the bike to the roof rack besides the prescribed tiedown points. I'd drain all the fuel out of the tank to relieve some top heavyness. Make sure you are fully insured before you transport it. Just in case.

Check the manufacture of the carrier for capacity and tie down information.

• Member Contributer

Hi there,

so I am picking up my 4th Gen VFR this weekend. I am using a hitch mounted rail carrier to transport it from SF to LA. My question is, how do I secure the bike? Can I just run tie-downs up to the bars or does the fairing interfere?

Thanks,

Tim

I used soft ties with ratcheting tie downs. Worked well, keeps the grips out of play. Here's a pic of the set-up on a track bike, with a baxley chock.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/1157559953/gallery_2925_490_324790.jpg

• Member Contributer

I use a cheap Harbor Freight wheel chock and a set of Canyon dancer straps and it is solid as a rock. I prefer the older Canyon straps to the newer ones with the built in plastic caps because the plastic caps rubbed all the paint off my handlebar end weights.

Rollin

The 55mph limit in Cali isnt enforced very well for cars/small vehicles with trailers. Big trucks are another story.. I wouldnt worry too much about it just dont go blowing up the left lane..

I've never found the need for a Canyon Dancer.

I simply tie down going around the fork tubes, above the lower triple clamp.

Has worked 100% so far. :goofy:

:beer: I have always used the lower triple with bikes with fairings. never a problem so far.

I've never found the need for a Canyon Dancer.

I simply tie down going around the fork tubes, above the lower triple clamp.

Has worked 100% so far. fing02.gif

+1.gif I have always used the lower triple with bikes with fairings. never a problem so far.

Can we get some detailed pics..

I looked at using this method but the angles just didnt look stable, The further out you place the tie downs on a trailer the less likely it will bbe to shake left or right and if you have 2 bikes onn board less likely to rub..

• 5 years later...

Archived