Glove question

Knute

• Member Contributer

I saw a pair of gloves in a cycle mag not to long ago that were designed with heated grips in mind. They were thin on the palm side and had thicker insulation on the knuckle side, but I just plain can't remember the brand name, or where I saw them? Anyone know anything of the gloves in question?

I would think this type of design would be idea to use with heated grips! Thin palms to maintain grip feel and insulated backs to keep the outside of the hand warm.

Sorry no help on the brand, but be sure to post up when you find some. :blink:

BR

I saw a pair of gloves in a cycle mag not to long ago that were designed with heated grips in mind. They were thin on the palm side and had thicker insulation on the knuckle side, but I just plain can't remember the the brand name, or where I saw them? Anyone know anything of the gloves in question?

probably the Held Warm n dry http://www.heldusa.com/warmndry.html

Olympia used to make a similar concept glove, but I can't find them now.

• Member Contributer

I saw a pair of gloves in a cycle mag not to long ago that were designed with heated grips in mind. They were thin on the palm side and had thicker insulation on the knuckle side, but I just plain can't remember the the brand name, or where I saw them? Anyone know anything of the gloves in question?

probably the Held Warm n dry http://www.heldusa.com/warmndry.html

Olympia used to make a similar concept glove, but I can't find them now.

Those might have been the one's... I just can't remember? Don't recall them costing that much, but its possible? Anyways, thanks for the link, appreciated.

Held stuff is always kinda expensive....for a darn good reason. :beer:

And yeah, what a great concept! Thin palms for grip heat and good "feel", but with insulation on the back areas where you really need it. Normal "winter" gloves are so bulky that you can't work the controls, and the insulation on the palms keeps the grip heat away from your hands, damn it! :fing02:

Held stuff is always kinda expensive....for a darn good reason. :beer:

And yeah, what a great concept! Thin palms for grip heat and good "feel", but with insulation on the back areas where you really need it. Normal "winter" gloves are so bulky that you can't work the controls, and the insulation on the palms keeps the grip heat away from your hands, damn it! :fing02:

Yeah, I can imagine the wind chill factor on those cool 50-60 deg FL nights! :beer:

tongue.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Forum CEO

This is exactly what I was looking for! A cold/wet weather glove that insulates the top of the hand not the bottoms, does not spread my fingers apart like some kind of torture device, is water proof, offers great protection, shield squeegee, and is good for finessing the controls. I pulled the trigger and got a pair at derby cycles, newenough did not have them in my size.

I have a set of waterproof winter gloves, wore them in rain on the way to the Kasasmeet. Teknic waterproof glove, still seem stiff and difficult to use the controls, no matter what they say they seem too thick, thinsulate is not so thin when it comes to gloves. I was tempted to rip out the thinsulate and try them, but they are really in there. I just want the waterproof part I could give a crap about the thinsulate stuff.

• Member Contributer

This is exactly what I was looking for! A cold/wet weather glove that insulates the top of the hand not the bottoms, does not spread my fingers apart like some kind of torture device, is water proof, offers great protection, shield squeegee, and is good for finessing the controls. I pulled the trigger and got a pair at derby cycles, newenough did not have them in my size.

I have a set of waterproof winter gloves, wore them in rain on the way to the Kasasmeet. Teknic waterproof glove, still seem stiff and difficult to use the controls, no matter what they say they seem too thick, thinsulate is not so thin when it comes to gloves. I was tempted to rip out the thinsulate and try them, but they are really in there. I just want the waterproof part I could give a crap about the thinsulate stuff.

If you would, once you get them, will you post up your thoughts on the gloves, I'm kinda wanting to get a pair of these also. BTW, how much did you have to fork over for 'em?

• Member Contributer

I really like the idea of those Held gloves seeing as I have grip heaters that I'm going to put on my 07, but $200 is a little steep for me.

I hear ya, $200 bucks... yikes! But, still these glove appear to be just what I'm looking for. I just might pry open the wallet...

• Member Contributer

I really like the idea of those Held gloves seeing as I have grip heaters that I'm going to put on my 07, but $200 is a little steep for me.

I hear ya, $200 bucks... yikes! But, still these glove appear to be just what I'm looking for. I just might pry open the wallet...

I have a pair of Helds that I purchased a year ago on Craigslist for $60. They are waterproof and winter weight although I think they are a discontinued or updated model. I wore them last winter and have been wearing them this winter. No question in my mind--the best $60 I have ever spent on riding gear. I will pony up for the $150 or $200 someday for a new pair when these wear out. They are great gloves with grip heaters due to their engineering. What really impresses me about them though is I don't feel like I'm wearing winter weight gloves when I'm riding. They provide very good feel on the controls and it really isn't a big difference between these and the gloves I wear in the spring, summer or fall...

Anyway, mine have lasted two winters and I'm sure will last at least two more--I ride year round unless there's snow or ice on the road so they're getting good use and I have no complaints about them!

• Member Contributer

I bought my first pair of Held gloves in 2002, and since then I'm a convert. I have always been in the habit of trying on gloves, and buying this or that pair because they seem appealing - there are a lot of pretty gloves out there. But since I got the Helds I haven't been as inclined to buy other kinds of gloves, and I rarely wear the ones I do buy - I just circle back to my Helds because they are just that much better.

I will have to try these.

this post reminded me of the first warmish day of spring, when you can wear you regular gloves, and that wonderful feeling of the handlebars and switches without bulk of the Neil Armstrong signature gloves. Its like a new bike to you.

• Forum CEO

It was like $212 with shipping. I am really hard on gloves, I dont like puffy insulation cause it spreads my fingers apart and it just hurts. I tend to ride on long multi day trips and so I am always getting caught in the rain, overgloves work to a degree (aerostich trifinger) but then you lose feel, grip is gone and when it rains really really hard rain still leaks in and they become useless. I have ruined lots of gloves from a good soaking. I always wear out the leather where the clutch and brake levers are on my fingers too. I usually wear out a set of gloves in one season. I like the aerostich guantlet ropers the elk skin is really soft and strong, twice the thickness of other gloves, including the espensive alpinestars I had two seasons ago with all the fancy do dads.

We will see.

I have ridden a couple good rides with my Powerlet Heated gloves...I have to say I really like them, even when not heated. Riding home from work last night it was close to 45 degrees, so I didn't bother with the heat controls...I just used my grip heaters and the Powerlet gloves. They are thin enough in the palm that I still feel quite a bit of control(and heat from the grips), and they are leather instead of nylon, so they are thin and offer more feel...plus I could wipe a bug off my shield without feeling I was scratching it up. The Guantlet is big enough to fit over the sleeve of my Kilimanjaro jacket, which is quite bulky.

Recently ran across a pair of FIRSTGEAR "TUNDRA" gloves at the gear shop in Tellico Plains. Exactly what I was looking for. Designed for use with heated grips,single layer leather palm, insulated and armored back, drawstring gauntlett. Very comfy,not bulky which is a priority wth me. Probably not heavy enough for riding in very cold temps but good down to 35-40 degrees (with heated grips on). List price is $90,I paid less. I am happy as a clam with these gloves. :goofy:

in cold weather do you guys wear gauntlet in or out? I though it was only done with the gauntlet on the ouside until I saw some guys wearing it inside the sleeve. (seems counter intuative, but maybe it works)

• Forum CEO

Got my Held Warmn'dry gloves a couple of days ago. I am impressed, rarely does a glove fit me so well, full range of articulation for a "winter glove" none of the usual stiffness that a new glove has, everything feels snug and when on the bike I have a good feel for the controls. A full range of materials, goretex for waterproofness and windproofness, goretex thermoplush on the tops of the hands for insulation - hardly noticable - none of the usual painful spreading apart of my fingers with winter gloves. Cons - The gauntlet is a bit short and it seems too narrow to fit over my stich, but then again I have unusually long arms in proportion to my body so sleeves are always too short, making gauntlets useless. Even the knuckle protector has a skin of leather over the top of the plastic moulded knuckles, dont see that too often. Another Con the squeegee points strait up from the left index finger, seems like it will be difficult to use effectivly. Pros - Lots of double stiching where usually there is only single stichs on lesser gloves. I think I got my moneys worth here, but time will tell. An unusual mix of textiles and exotic skins, goat skin, leather superfabric, goretex.

gallery_491_3604_90197.jpg

Held Warmn'dry

gallery_491_3604_257752.jpg

Held Warmn'dry

Archived