Battery Voltage Question

turtlecreek

I have had a 2003 VFR since 05. I "think" I put a new battery in it at the time, but if not, it doesn't matter for my question.

Since I have had the bike, the battery ALWAYS reads less then 12.4V after sitting. When I turn the key on, it will quickly drop to 12.1 or less (down to 11.9V even.

However, when I start it, the R/R/Gen gets it up to 13 to 14.4ish depending on rpm....ie it works fine.

I have NEVER had it not crank.

I leave it on a tender regularly

I have the VFRHarness (did this before harness recall)

Oh, and I check the voltage DIRECTLY at the terminals, so no, its not voltage drop across connections/connectors, etc.

I have a voltage meter (the one HS has which is really nice by the way) and when I first turn the bike on, it blinks RED and as soon as I start it, it goes GREEN.

So, while I have NO PROBLEMS, how can my battery continually be lower then what everyone says is standard or correct for my battery, yet I NEVER have a cranking issue in 4 plus years?

Any battery experts out there?

My battery is 1 year old and has always done the same thing. I forgot to take it back before the 1 year mark, so I just live with it. If the lights are off I get a higher reading of course, but if it sits for a few minutes it drops to 12 volts. I am not going to spend another $70 just to see 12.8 on my meter...

I've been monitoring my battery's "resting" voltage since new. When I bought my vfr in March 2007 the battery voltage , after sitting for a day or two after a long ride, was 12.9 volts. Little by little, as the battery ages, the resting voltage drops. Currently it's at about 12.6 volts. So I don't see 12.4 volts for a 2003 battery as being out of line.

Don't see a charging system issue, but I think the book says that a 12.4v battery needs charging! :beer:

You might have a slight voltage discharge within your system somewhere! :dry:

The battery on the vfr is very critical, your 4 years old and showing signs of weakening.

mine got really weak at 2 year mark and 45,000 mile, still worked though, but I depend on my bike, so It was replaced before serious issue .

I luv the st1300 yuasa, its a direct fit for the vfr, same size and everything

I have had a 2003 VFR since 05. I "think" I put a new battery in it at the time, but if not, it doesn't matter for my question.

Since I have had the bike, the battery ALWAYS reads less then 12.4V after sitting. When I turn the key on, it will quickly drop to 12.1 or less (down to 11.9V even.

However, when I start it, the R/R/Gen gets it up to 13 to 14.4ish depending on rpm....ie it works fine.

I have NEVER had it not crank.

I leave it on a tender regularly

I have the VFRHarness (did this before harness recall)

Oh, and I check the voltage DIRECTLY at the terminals, so no, its not voltage drop across connections/connectors, etc.

I have a voltage meter (the one HS has which is really nice by the way) and when I first turn the bike on, it blinks RED and as soon as I start it, it goes GREEN.

So, while I have NO PROBLEMS, how can my battery continually be lower then what everyone says is standard or correct for my battery, yet I NEVER have a cranking issue in 4 plus years?

Any battery experts out there?

2003 VFR , same Battery until 1/2009 (5,5 years) . EXACTLY the same behavior .Got a new one Yuasa YTZ and 12,4 after sitting all night and ..When I turn the key on, it will quickly drop to 12.1 or less .

Glad to hear another rider with the same issue ...

Well, on my 5th Gen, the battery was less than 2 years old, and the voltage was down to around 12.4 - 12.5 or thereabouts, so I replaced it. It was having some problems turning the bike over at times. The new battery (MotoBatt) is higher amp-hours and CCAs, and spins the engine much more rapidly.

• Member Contributer

Not a bad idea to check the fluid levels in the battery and add some distilled water if needed.

I thought the batteries on the 6th gen (and on my new CBR) were sealed...........

Not a bad idea to check the fluid levels in the battery and add some distilled water if needed.

I thought the batteries on the 6th gen (and on my new CBR) were sealed...........

They are sealed (OEM replacements are anyway). With as easy as it is to bump start the VFR, I wouldn't be worried about a slightly weakish battery. The first time it failed to start when I wanted it to would be the time I buy a new one, but I will wait for then.

thanks for the input. it isn't a weakening issue as it has been this way since the beginning.

i wonder what the spec is for this sort of thing +/- .5V is still only 5%. anyway, it doesn't bother me at all, except as BR was saying, specs say 12.4V....

glad to hear a few others have seen similar levels.

My batteries in the vfr have always read over 13 volt even sitting for a week, only when I had one get weak it would hold more than 12.8 in standy

Heres a test turn your lights on for 1 minute , with just the key. if you still have plenty ummph to turn motor over, thats good sign.

If not you got a weak battery

• Member Contributer

thanks for the input. it isn't a weakening issue as it has been this way since the beginning.

i wonder what the spec is for this sort of thing +/- .5V is still only 5%. anyway, it doesn't bother me at all, except as BR was saying, specs say 12.4V....

How sure are you about the accuracy of the voltmeter? Maybe it just reads .5 low all the time.

How sure are you about the accuracy of the voltmeter? Maybe it just reads .5 low all the time.

3 DIFFERENT voltmeters....a fluke hand meter, lascar digital dash meter and now the led meter.

Archived