Boot Suggestions?

Guest sixshooter

Guest sixshooter

I've been wearing these Sketchers knock off biker boots for a couple years now, and I destroy a pair about every 8 months... I wear them every day, all day. Anyone have a suggestion for a good (durable, comfortable, water-proof, non astronaut spacesuit-looking) all around boot?

• Member Contributer
I've been wearing these Sketchers knock off biker boots for a couple years now, and I destroy a pair about every 8 months... I wear them every day, all day. Anyone have a suggestion for a good (durable, comfortable, water-proof, non astronaut spacesuit-looking) all around boot?

I used to ride in normal leather workboots, which I was wearing when I lowsided my bike. It was a good thing I was going slow, because the laces were completely gone. Now whenever I ride, I use a boot that has more than just laces or velcro.

I'm using an Icon Accelerant boot. (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/16961/ITEM/Icon-Accelerant-Waterproof-Boots.aspx)

It has a ski-type latch in addition to laces, is SUPER comfortable.

But, the waterproofing doesn't last long, it is not proving to be very durable, and you may find it looks like an Astronaut boot. So, I'd recommend it on comfort, but not on durability. sad.gif sorry.

The other thing I've found with boots is that to get adequate ankle protection, you have the boot has to be stiff and go very high, which means most boots that are safe dig into the back of my ankle.

Good luck!

I recently picked up a pair of Alpinestars S-MX 5 Vents that I've been very happy with. Got them for a killer deal because the shop was 20% off everything.

- Patrick

• Member Contributer

I have been running the Alpinestars Supertech R boots, (Black with Red trim) and cannot say enough good about them.

Supertech R boots

They are not cheap, but......

I almost had to have my right foot amputated in college from a football injury that got infected.

I have metal plates in the other ankle from hockey.

this means that I have to take care of them.

I have worn these boots for 18 hours, and they were comfortable as can be the entire time.

These are full on racing boots, but they are also the most comfortable boots I own. (and I own about a dozen pairs)

The 2 most important things for me on Motorcycle boots are protection and comfort. if they are not comfortable you won't wear them. if they do not provide good protection, they why waste your money on them?

Cheers:-)

FYI: Sidi's will not fit wide feet---ask why I know this! Alpinestars is what I wear for the aforementioned reason and I love them. The SMX-R model with some aftermarket insoles for walking comfort and waterproof paste (actually works)...very good setup.

But since you are not looking for "spaceman" boots....Icon superdutys work great....I have a pair of those too. Otherwise TM and Teknic have nice selections too. I would highly advocate finding a local MC store and trying them on. Good luck!

I wear Puma Desmo boots. Very comfortable, and they didn't require much break-in. They're a tad narrow, so order a half size larger than your street shoes for a perfect fit.

• Member Contributer
FYI: Sidi's will not fit wide feet---ask why I know this! Alpinestars is what I wear for the aforementioned reason and I love them. The SMX-R model with some aftermarket insoles for walking comfort and waterproof paste (actually works)...very good setup.

But since you are not looking for "spaceman" boots....Icon superdutys work great....I have a pair of those too. Otherwise TM and Teknic have nice selections too. I would highly advocate finding a local MC store and trying them on. Good luck!

Sidi offers some of their boots in "Mega" sizing that's more suited to wider feet.

Anyone have any experience with Alpinestars?

These look good to me:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/3...m-WP-Boots.aspx

Those boots have the look of the ones you like, and they say WP(waterproof)..... but they have a side zipper(with OUT a zipper cover flap).... Just a heads up.........

• Member Contributer

I would buy the best boots you can afford. That being said if you have to spend lightly you can try Ebay. I've seen Sidi and Alpinestar boots there for about 150. Don't buy the racer boots unless that's how you ride. You will only regret if you spend too little on lousy boots. Boots last for year unlike a bad tank of gas you have to live with your choice for quite a while.

yeah, Monk, they look pretty good to me. My Sketchers have only a side zipper as well, so nothing new to me. The big difference will be about a hundred bucks... Like I said earlier, I'm brutal to my footwear, so if I'm gonna spend $180 on a pair of Italian leather boots, they'd better last me a while. My $80 sketchers aren't even a year old and I've got a flappy heel, sticky zippers, ripped up liners, Dr. Scholls inserts and wet feet every time it rains. For $180 they'd better last me at least 18 months, maybe more. My wife'll say they'd better last me 25 years, of course... :cool:

I wonder if I bought another pair of these Sketchers if I could have them waterproofed and reinforced by a shoe shop or boot maker or something?

yeah, Monk, they look pretty good to me. My Sketchers have only a side zipper as well, so nothing new to me. The big difference will be about a hundred bucks... Like I said earlier, I'm brutal to my footwear, so if I'm gonna spend $180 on a pair of Italian leather boots, they'd better last me a while. My $80 sketchers aren't even a year old and I've got a flappy heel, sticky zippers, ripped up liners, Dr. Scholls inserts and wet feet every time it rains. For $180 they'd better last me at least 18 months, maybe more. My wife'll say they'd better last me 25 years, of course... :cool:

I wonder if I bought another pair of these Sketchers if I could have them waterproofed and reinforced by a shoe shop or boot maker or something?

I'd keep looking.... as long as they have an exposed zipper they're going to get wet inside....

never thought about the zipper leaking... mostly I get water in through the toes, since my boots aren't water proof... damn. back to the drawing board

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I wear Original SWAT 1270. Waterproof, light and no issues with them. Every day use in the snow bound north of Edmonton.

http://www.originalswat.com/productdetail.php?product_id=Njc=&category_id=MTM=

• Member Contributer
yeah, Monk, they look pretty good to me. My Sketchers have only a side zipper as well, so nothing new to me. The big difference will be about a hundred bucks... Like I said earlier, I'm brutal to my footwear, so if I'm gonna spend $180 on a pair of Italian leather boots, they'd better last me a while. My $80 sketchers aren't even a year old and I've got a flappy heel, sticky zippers, ripped up liners, Dr. Scholls inserts and wet feet every time it rains. For $180 they'd better last me at least 18 months, maybe more. My wife'll say they'd better last me 25 years, of course... :angry:

I'd keep looking.... as long as they have an exposed zipper they're going to get wet inside....

Not true at all. Many Gore-tex Daytona boots including my Roadstar GTX have an exposed zipper (or two)and are completely waterproof and guaranteed so for two years. I've ridden in very heavy rain and through puddles that put my boots fully under water (not over the top of the boots though) and never a drop leaks.

• Member Contributer

+1 Sidi I just a pair of Vortice from New Enough for $329 plus shipping

I use the ICON feild armor chukka boot. It is not waterproof but it offers decent protection for the street and is fairly comfortable while walking around off the bike and does not make you look like a spaceman walking about when off your bike.

Since we're talking about boots, anyone have suggestions for someone with size 15 (Euro 49-50) feet?

Go to a singles bar with a sign around your neck that says "I have size 15 feet". :angry:

My suggestion, since you're so hard on boots, would be to get a less expensive set of riding boots and change in to work boots at work. I leave a set at work just for that purpose. That way you aren't tearing up expensive riding boots on the job. If that is not an option check out Redwing riding boots LINK.

Action

wow! way to ressurect a thread, guys! I actually ended up buying another pair of sketchers that aren't officially waterproof, but they'll do. I also bought a pair of some other brand that I've never heard of that are "dress" looking boots, so I wear them to school and church and out to dinner, etc, and the sketchers to work.

Thanks for all the input, I'm glad I sparked a discussion!!

Archived