Boot Suggestions?

Guest sixshooter

Since we're talking about boots, anyone have suggestions for someone with size 15 (Euro 49-50) feet?

Go to a singles bar with a sign around your neck that says "I have size 15 feet". fing02.gif

Actually I got a pair of Oxtar boots ob closeout in that size and love them.. Oxtar is now known as TCX..

49 euro is a size 14 US... I wear 13's but the extra size lets me add Insoles or wear a extra pair of socks in Winter..

• 3 weeks later...

wow! way to ressurect a thread, guys! I actually ended up buying another pair of sketchers that aren't officially waterproof, but they'll do.

Thanks for all the input, I'm glad I sparked a discussion!!

My turn to bring the thread back to life... :biggrin:

Thanks, this has been a good read, I need to look into footwear, I'm really nervous about dropping several hundred on boots though, maybe I'll look into something like a Sketcher product.

I had a horse accident when I was 13 and my foot/arch was crushed. The problem is I do not know if a shoe or boot is going to be comfortable or painful unless I have it on for several hours. I have thrown away more than one pair of nearly brand new shoes because I found out how painful they were on my right foot after a couple hours. And sadly enough, that is just too used to be able to convince the store to do a refund...

• Member Contributer

wow! way to ressurect a thread, guys! I actually ended up buying another pair of sketchers that aren't officially waterproof, but they'll do.

Thanks for all the input, I'm glad I sparked a discussion!!

My turn to bring the thread back to life... :biggrin:

Thanks, this has been a good read, I need to look into footwear, I'm really nervous about dropping several hundred on boots though, maybe I'll look into something like a Sketcher product.

I had a horse accident when I was 13 and my foot/arch was crushed. The problem is I do not know if a shoe or boot is going to be comfortable or painful unless I have it on for several hours. I have thrown away more than one pair of nearly brand new shoes because I found out how painful they were on my right foot after a couple hours. And sadly enough, that is just too used to be able to convince the store to do a refund...

Talk to the good folks at www.newenough.com . They are outstanding to deal with. I've seen several stories from people ordering boots from them and being unsatisfied with the product. Quick call for a return authorization, and they will do what they can to make it right.

I'm sure if you ordered a boot and wore it around the house for a couple hours it wouldn't be a big deal. But I don't think it would be a good idea to take them outside.

As an aside note to those interested, I just ordered a pair of the TCX Comp RS boots from NE (thank God for gift certificates that don't expire and a recent price drop!). I only mention it because it seems hard to find anybody who has TCX's. Plenty of people with Sidi's and AStars, and a few Oxtar's, but no TCX owners. :goofy:

Hopefully I'll remember to come back to this thread and give a review. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Plenty of people with Sidi's and AStars, and a few Oxtar's, but no TCX owners. :rolleyes:

Hopefully I'll remember to come back to this thread and give a review. :biggrin:

Aren't Oxtar and TCX the same thing?

• Member Contributer

Plenty of people with Sidi's and AStars, and a few Oxtar's, but no TCX owners. :rolleyes:

Hopefully I'll remember to come back to this thread and give a review. :biggrin:

Eh, kinda sorta yeah. TCX is now the name of the company formerly known as Oxtar. Having said that though, it seems nobody has picked up a set of boots from them since they became TCX and updated/changed designs. I'm sure the quality of the boots is fine as many people are quite happy with their Oxtar's, but my big thing is I was looking for input on the "Torsion Control System" that TCX employs on their boots for protection.

My two priorities for riding boots were protection and fit. Oh and had to be available through Newenough. My feet run wide, so Sidi's were out of the running for me. Means my choices were AStars and Oxt...err I mean TCX. I was debating between the SMX+ and the Comp R's. Finally just decided to go for the TCX's, but the Comp R's are on extended back order. Now last week there was a price drop on the RS's, so I pulled the trigger on those since they came into my price range. I'll get to try them out tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Eh, kinda sorta yeah. TCX is now the name of the company formerly known as Oxtar. Having said that though, it seems nobody has picked up a set of boots from them since they became TCX and updated/changed designs. I'm sure the quality of the boots is fine as many people are quite happy with their Oxtar's, but my big thing is I was looking for input on the "Torsion Control System" that TCX employs on their boots for protection.

My two priorities for riding boots were protection and fit. Oh and had to be available through Newenough. My feet run wide, so Sidi's were out of the running for me. Means my choices were AStars and Oxt...err I mean TCX. I was debating between the SMX+ and the Comp R's. Finally just decided to go for the TCX's, but the Comp R's are on extended back order. Now last week there was a price drop on the RS's, so I pulled the trigger on those since they came into my price range. I'll get to try them out tomorrow.

Oh, okay, I was under the impression that the same designed and constructed boots were being sold under different names in different places. But Oxtar is no more, it's not TCX under new designs?

whatever you do, dont let your last e-bay purchase be seen by your wife. Tried to sneak them past her. She yells MORE BOOTS, and punches me. Then she says, Oh, but they are soo cool.

They were mine for 30 seconds.

002-7.jpg

I'm all about the puma's. I have been rocking some Brutale's for about 3 years now and they have held up great! I haven't seen the new line but somebody chimed in a while back with the Desmo boots, they seem like an upgraded version of the desmo's. Not technically waterproof but they keep your feet pretty dry. All WP boots I've looked into are just too hot during normal riding weather. Dont skimp on money when buying riding boots because like everything else, you get what you pay for... my $275 spent 3 years ago and still wear them every time I'm on the bike- well worth the extra cash.

• Member Contributer

Oh, okay, I was under the impression that the same designed and constructed boots were being sold under different names in different places. But Oxtar is no more, it's not TCX under new designs?

Well, as I said Oxtar became TCX, and for about a year there were TCX branded boots that looked like Oxtars I think. Then they released the updated boots with the Torsion Control System. Out with the old, in with the new, so to speak.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Sidi Vertebra for me right now.

This model is no longer made, but is a good boot. Sidi has a bunch of new models. I'll replace mine with new Sidis if they wear out some day (which doesn't seem to be any year soon). Of course they don't have the protection of an Enduro/MX boot -but no street boot does. But they aren't really that far behind. I ruined my ankle and lower leg in a minor off-road (dual-sporting) crash wearing just a pair of military all-leather combat boots. If I had these Sidi boots on at the time I wouldn't be walking with a limp still.

It's a free world, but you wouldn't catch me out riding the backroads in anything less than a full moto-specific armored boot unless it was just commuting to work and back -and my Redwing work boots are better than some of the boots I see some people wearing out on the backroads carving canyons. I guess it is their feet. Me, I'm a believer in good gear. There are other brands of good motorcycle-specific boots that I am sure are just as good as the Sidi. Look for armor for the ankles, calves, shins, lower foot, sole, and especially the fragile achilles tendon at a bare minimum. Protection comes first, then comfort/flexibility, and finally water repellent properties if desired. You'll pay more money as you move up along that scale.

I get waterproof boots by adding a pair of Treds rubber over-booties on top of my Sidis. They also add warmth in those colder months of Spring and late fall as I stretch my riding season and flirt with that white stuff on the roads.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived