Electric Gear

Guest JJbigbird

Guest JJbigbird

Ok guys, I am a year round rider and every year around January here in N.C I really freeze my b*lls off....So this year Im going for some heated gear. I plan on buying within the next two weeks. The bad is I have no idea what i need. Ive seen two full kits, one by firstgear, and the other is the Synergy kit from tourmaster. The Synergy looks more like what Im looking for, jacket liner, pant liner, and gloves for a little over $400.00. Is this a good kit??? how many trollers would I need to really be comfy? Also Nothing Ive seen so far really is what Id preffer...I d really like to have a one piece (outer) suit that was heated, similiar to Aerostitch just heated..Does anyone make something like that??? It would be nice to arrive at work and just zip out..not have to strip down to remove it all then repeat at the end of the day!! So guys Id really like your inputs, $400 + or - is alot of bread these days to be dissapointed!! And if any of you would like to share some sites with some gear to buy at good prices please provide...same goes if any of you have heated gear youd like to sell...........Thanks alot Ive wore my Google eyes out trying to find info!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Well, I don't know if this will help you or not, but I like the Gerbing ( http://www.gerbing.com/message.php ) stuff. I have a heated jacket liner and the heated gloves and I can ride in cold down to about 10 degrees with it on. When it's mid 40, I can just use the jacket liner under my regular summer leather jacket and it keeps me plenty warm. I am planning on getting a pair of their heated socks, but just the gloves and the jacket liner will set you back about $400. But I've always heard that Gerbing and Widder make the BEST stuff, they've been doing it for a long time!

How cold does in get in N.C. ? What types of temps are yopu freezing your balls off in??

• Member Contributer

Personally I think the heated pants might be a bit too much unless you plan on riding day long rides in the freezing temps. I have a Gerbing liner and it works pretty well but their sizing/fit is not the greatest. Tightwad is selling Powerlet Gear at a pretty decent price so you might give him a shout. To my knowledge there isn't a heated one-piece suit.

I have the Powerlet Jacket and Sport Gloves, plus a dual controller. I have only used it once so far, as the weather has been pretty good, but I like the gloves a lot! I dislike thick winter gloves, and the heated grips on my bike are great for my palms but not my finger/thumb tips. Powerlet also makes pants, but I don't have them. I doubt they are needed unless you are touring....riding to work and back I don't want to have more layers than needed.

• Member Contributer

The basics are heated vest and grips. Those two items will take the edge off most situations. At that point you can decide if you need more. The VFR can handle this kind of load easily. The vest is easy to pack and actually reduces clothing requirements on tour. Grips can be had for about $40 and there are many folks who make good vests. I have Aerostich but ..............not sure it is that important. Tourmaster makes a very compact lighweight inexpensive vest but there have problems with controller reliability...see advrider.com

I have the Powerlet Jacket and Sport Gloves, plus a dual controller. I have only used it once so far, as the weather has been pretty good, but I like the gloves a lot! I dislike thick winter gloves, and the heated grips on my bike are great for my palms but not my finger/thumb tips. Powerlet also makes pants, but I don't have them. I doubt they are needed unless you are touring....riding to work and back I don't want to have more layers than needed.

I agree.... I've ridden in 20º temps. for hours, and a vest with add-on *sleeves(*which I don't use that often) are plenty.... And Tightwad's gloves also look like the best ones I've seen( I use Hippo-Hands).... Anyway You could get the top and gloves then add on bottoms later if you think it's something you want...

• Member Contributer

P.S.

Yeah I hate cold weather dressing too! all the fricken layering....hate the get ready part, love the "riding when no one else is" !!!

Tourmaster SYNERGY!!!!!!

No big wires to gouge in your body, no hot spots , best heat on the market. Its like having a Good friend riding with you.

I have the Vest, and under a rain jacket is very functional retains all that heat . I wanted to get a full jacket and pants for this winter, but it would defintely be the Synergy line.

Alot of these companies, want to charge additionally for controllers, synergy comes with it, controler is defintely required.

The early models before 08 had weak cotrollers , they were like a 10 amp, new ones are 25 amp, I've not seen any issues since

These models are still on some store shelves , go though a chain like Motorcycle super store

the early models ran a little small in sizing, but 2009 models they enlarged the size

• Member Contributer

The problem with putting the heating into the outer layer, like adding it to the normal riding jacket, is that it doesn't do as much good there - you want it in closer to your skin, with the insulation outside of it. But not right on your skin!

For really cold weather, I start with a light turtleneck and a pair of fleece tights that I got at the ski store. Then the Gerbing jacket, then a fleece mockneck, and my textile suit over the top. This is good down to the 20s, and I park the bike when it gets down lower than that, due to traction issues more than cold.

I have owned two sets of heated gloves but never liked them very much. I have small, slender hands and can't do the two finger braking anyway. Forcing my fingers apart in heavy gloves is cold and uncomfortable and makes it hard to do anything with those separated fingers. A good pair of mittens gives me better control feel AND better warmth. If the ride is long and the weather is cold, I'll pop some of those oxygen activated heat packets into my mittens and I'm good for six or seven hours.

I've never felt a need for heated pants. Heated socks sound nice, but juggling the extra wire would be a nuisance and I fear they'd make my boots fit funny so I haven't tried them. Instead I use the oxygen activated toe warmers, just like the ones I use in my mittens. They work great, and while they are single use consumable items, they aren't very expensive and I don't have to deal with the extra wiring.

Toe Warmers

• Member Contributer

Hey Elizilla, great point! I also wear a very thin termal underwear layer, then my gerbing jacket liner, and I have thin polartec northface that goes over the top of that...then my textile jacket...works great. I did pop for the heated gerbing gloves, which ran me about $185 two years ago, and they are no where near as nice as my alpine stars sp2's for feel, but they sure do get really warm....if it's 35 degrees or warmer, my hands will sweat.

But, the correct layering is the KEY!

• Member Contributer

Hey,

Here's my 2 cents...take what I say with the understanding that I'm not real happy in the cold. I'm in central NC.

I have a 5th Gen and am 6'-1" tall, mostly in the torso, so I'm up in the wind pretty good. I have a Gerbings heated liner, with sleeves and the heating element goes up into the neck. I like it, but for me, here's the catch. This option is neither water proof nor windproof, so I must wear it under my regular jacket liner for it to be any good. It does get a little bulky and persnickety getting dressed. Everything has to be "just so" to keep the drafts out. Without the regular liner, it's only about as effective as the regular liner alone, so why bother? I also haven't seen the need for a controller, I always need the thing full on or off. Also super effective me was to get a taller windscreen, huge difference in staying warm.

All that said, it's nice turning that thing on. Mmmmmmmm good.

Scott

• Member Contributer
But, the correct layering is the KEY!

Very much so. If I have too much insulation between me and the heated jacket liner, it might as well not be there. Though I can also report there's such a thing as too little insulation between skin and heated jacket - the first week I had my gerbing, I wore it over a silk long underwear shirt, very thin, and when i took my clothes off that evening my torso was covered with little red loopy lines, that traced out exactly where the wires in the jacket are. So, wear a thin base layer, but not too thin.

The other thing that's key, is to keep your heated gear close to your skin. A stretchy, close fitting garment over the heated jacket is good.

Another thing that's worth knowing... Gerbing will wire anything you want for heat. You can send them your jacket liner or whatever, if you really want that. I keep thinking I will sew myself a perfectly fitting midlayer, out of windstopper fleece, and send it off to Gerbing to be wired for heat. But I've never gotten around to it.

I normally wear my synergy vest over top a tee shirt and thick sweat shirt, and theen the vest with rain over coat.

synergy is the hottest out put on the market it will fry your A$$

The lower rated amerapes clothes need to be very close to the skin

• Member Contributer

Widder was a good product but they've gone out of business now, although you can still find new old stock from some places. Gerbing consistently gets good reviews.

I've never felt the need to have heated pants on my 5th gen. With my Aerostich I just add some 'long johns' under my pants if it's really cold.

My Widder is a vest style with optional arm chaps but I've only used them twice in 8 years. Gerbing is a full jacket with sleeves so you'll have to decide if you want the flexibility of removable arm sleeves or not. Controllers are nice but can be a little expensive. I have a simple on/off switch and just cycle it as needed.

Heated gloves would have been nice on many occasions but I've got by with a set of $35 grip heaters like these. http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit.htm

And fleece is nice. Since getting an Aerostich fleece sweater a few years ago I've been using the heated vest less and less.

Good luck.

Hey thanks everyone, its nice to have some 1st person opinions...In the past 2 years Ive been layering..Rocky makes some of the best under insulation, thin and warm. But Im just riding in such cold weather that it still gets extremely cold, i.e Dangerous... Im going to go with the full liner and skip the vest. I may skip the pant liner to start, but the gloves are going to be a must, even though heated grips would probrably be great, I dont think they would beat the gloves in constant highway speeds in 30 or lower temps...Now Ive been reading alot of reviews and alot of people love the Synergy liners but dont like the Synergy gloves. Ive found alot like Firstgear heated gloves...

Can I mismatch gloves with liners?? The connections look the same but Id like to know if any of you have any first hand. Synergy states thier gear is waterproof, this is a must...so are all heated gear waterproof. Im going to have Frogtogs on in the rain but the trollers (controllers..whatever) will stilll be exposed...good or bad??? No joke guys I am going to be riding in all weather except ice and snow!!! If I just do the gloves and jacket liner, it would be smart to have two trollers (or one dual) or will I be fine with one??? ( I figure I need the dual or two independent for comfort)

As you can all see I have no clue about heated gear and this is just the few questions I can think of as of now, give me time and I'll have a hundred more dumb ones for you :rolleyes: !!! Thanks again for the help, I dont want to drop this kind of dime and not be happy! Im going check out Tightwads gear now and see what its like...be back soon to see the answers and anymore advice I can get..THANKS!

1 tip I have, go to a store like Hooby lobby arts and krafts , buy some long strips of velcro. Tie a strip on each side of your connection to the bike , so you dont stand up and disconnect your self. I had that happen and luckily I was running stock cans cause the electric line was laying on the heat shields otherwise may have melted .

have never had that happen with the strips up velcro, a good mod.

I dont know about the mismatch of gloves, worth checking out though , every synergy piece comes with a controller and works on all their gear, so you end up with back up controllers.

• Member Contributer
Hey thanks everyone, its nice to have some 1st person opinions...In the past 2 years Ive been layering..Rocky makes some of the best under insulation, thin and warm. But Im just riding in such cold weather that it still gets extremely cold, i.e Dangerous... Im going to go with the full liner and skip the vest. I may skip the pant liner to start, but the gloves are going to be a must, even though heated grips would probrably be great, I dont think they would beat the gloves in constant highway speeds in 30 or lower temps...Now Ive been reading alot of reviews and alot of people love the Synergy liners but dont like the Synergy gloves. Ive found alot like Firstgear heated gloves...

Can I mismatch gloves with liners?? The connections look the same but Id like to know if any of you have any first hand. Synergy states thier gear is waterproof, this is a must...so are all heated gear waterproof. Im going to have Frogtogs on in the rain but the trollers (controllers..whatever) will stilll be exposed...good or bad??? No joke guys I am going to be riding in all weather except ice and snow!!! If I just do the gloves and jacket liner, it would be smart to have two trollers (or one dual) or will I be fine with one??? ( I figure I need the dual or two independent for comfort)

As you can all see I have no clue about heated gear and this is just the few questions I can think of as of now, give me time and I'll have a hundred more dumb ones for you :fing02: !!! Thanks again for the help, I dont want to drop this kind of dime and not be happy! Im going check out Tightwads gear now and see what its like...be back soon to see the answers and anymore advice I can get..THANKS!

The Gerbing jackets have plugs on the ends of the sleeves that you can plug their gloves into. The gloves come with their own harness that can be used independently of the jacket, and even though I could have plugged my gloves into the jacket, I chose to use the harness because I found it too nuisancy to get the gloves plugged in - the connectors on the jacket liner sleeve end up under the cuff of my outer jacket, and routing the wires is a pain. The harness is a Y shape with each leg a couple feet long. One end plugs to the controller, and one end to each glove, and you wear it like the idiot strings of a kindergartner's mittens.

The Widder and Gerbing gloves aren't interchangeable. Widder gloves are designed to run in series, while Gerbings run in parallel. If you plug the Widders into the Gerbing jacket's plugs, they will get twice as hot as they should. I don't know if the Synergy gloves are series or parallel, so I don't know if they can plug into Gerbing jacket plugs.

I know that the Warmnsafe brand heat-trollers that Gerbing used to sell, are waterproof and it doesn't matter how drenched they get. I have several of them and they've been no trouble at all. Gerbing copied those controllers when they decided to start making their own, so I suppose the new Gerbing controllers are also waterproof.

I can also report that I've gotten my Gerbing jacket liner wet a number of times over the eight years I had it, and it held up just fine until I lost it. I hunted all over my house and couldn't find it, and finally replaced it with a Warmnsafe brand jacket. I like the fit of the Warmnsafe jacket better, I don't have to work so hard to persuade it to tuck into my riding pants. But the Gerbing jacket has more wires, that are smaller, and distributes the heat more nicely. The Warmnsafe jacket has bigger wires, like the Widder stuff and also like the Synergy jackets I have seen. I like the smaller wires in the Gerbing. I definitely need to get around to making that perfect fit jacket and having Gerbing wire it for me!

I'm glad this thread was started. I need heated gloves and socks the most as the layering usually does the trick for me. The problem in AZ is that it's 35 in the morning on the way to work and 75-80 on the ride home. I am constantly zipping liners in and out, have to take two pairs of gloves with me, and have a tank bag up to my chin with sweatshirt, balaklava, etc.............hmmmmm maybe a heated liner would be a good idea!

As you can all see I have no clue about heated gear and this is just the few questions I can think of as of now, give me time and I'll have a hundred more dumb ones for you :mellow: !!! Thanks again for the help, I dont want to drop this kind of dime and not be happy! Im going check out Tightwads gear now and see what its like...be back soon to see the answers and anymore advice I can get..THANKS!

The Gerbing jackets have plugs on the ends of the sleeves that you can plug their gloves into. The gloves come with their own harness that can be used independently of the jacket, and even though I could have plugged my gloves into the jacket, I chose to use the harness because I found it too nuisancy to get the gloves plugged in - the connectors on the jacket liner sleeve end up under the cuff of my outer jacket, and routing the wires is a pain. The harness is a Y shape with each leg a couple feet long. One end plugs to the controller, and one end to each glove, and you wear it like the idiot strings of a kindergartner's mittens.

The Widder and Gerbing gloves aren't interchangeable. Widder gloves are designed to run in series, while Gerbings run in parallel. If you plug the Widders into the Gerbing jacket's plugs, they will get twice as hot as they should. I don't know if the Synergy gloves are series or parallel, so I don't know if they can plug into Gerbing jacket plugs.

I know that the Warmnsafe brand heat-trollers that Gerbing used to sell, are waterproof and it doesn't matter how drenched they get. I have several of them and they've been no trouble at all. Gerbing copied those controllers when they decided to start making their own, so I suppose the new Gerbing controllers are also waterproof.

I can also report that I've gotten my Gerbing jacket liner wet a number of times over the eight years I had it, and it held up just fine until I lost it. I hunted all over my house and couldn't find it, and finally replaced it with a Warmnsafe brand jacket. I like the fit of the Warmnsafe jacket better, I don't have to work so hard to persuade it to tuck into my riding pants. But the Gerbing jacket has more wires, that are smaller, and distributes the heat more nicely. The Warmnsafe jacket has bigger wires, like the Widder stuff and also like the Synergy jackets I have seen. I like the smaller wires in the Gerbing. I definitely need to get around to making that perfect fit jacket and having Gerbing wire it for me!

I own a Gerbing liner and gloves--no complaints.I do think the Synergy has it's advantage in having the controller connected to the garment.

I'm glad this thread was started. I need heated gloves and socks the most as the layering usually does the trick for me. The problem in AZ is that it's 35 in the morning on the way to work and 75-80 on the ride home. I am constantly zipping liners in and out, have to take two pairs of gloves with me, and have a tank bag up to my chin with sweatshirt, balaklava, etc.............hmmmmm maybe a heated liner would be a good idea!

Id skip the heated socks...I have aplinestars goretech boots , waterproof and very warm...last year just two pair of thin socks and my feet were fine in low 30s at highway speeds all day!! Right now Im in the same boat with 2 pairs of gloves, insulated under pants, and shirt along with the bavalancha..just instead of it all bieng in the tank bag this year, I scored a deal on a set of saddlebags during the summer so I got storage...and it is GREAT to have saddlebags...first bike I ever had them on...And this will be the first time I ever had electric gear too..So far Im still liking the Synergy stuff the best, seems you get more for the $$ as you get trollers with everything plus connectors...still going to pay attetion to what everyone says and google some more before I commit....that bad is the only gear I can put my hands on is Firstgear (cyclegear sells it) so I will have to order the other brands..thats scaring considering sizing difficulties...if any og you know a good place to order heated gear let me know...Newenough.com doesnt have any darn it!! :warranty:

Try a BMW dealer, they normally carry the synergy stuff, Firstgear is a very thin expensive jacket and the large wires I found not to comfortable, plus controller another $99 thats well over $200

synergy jacket with contoller is only about $175 mail order from Motorcycle superstore and it will ensure you get the lastest controllers.

My BMW still has 3 year old synergy gear on the shelves, I can tell cause its the old controllers.

Try a BMW dealer, they normally carry the synergy stuff, Firstgear is a very thin expensive jacket and the large wires I found not to comfortable, plus controller another $99 thats well over $200

synergy jacket with contoller is only about $175 mail order from Motorcycle superstore and it will ensure you get the lastest controllers.

My BMW still has 3 year old synergy gear on the shelves, I can tell cause its the old controllers.

What size sweatshirt do you wear and do you have a big beer belly?

• Member Contributer

I have the Gerbings heated jacket, gloves, and socks. It's allowed me to ride easily down to 10 degrees. I agree on the comment of keeping the heated jacket as close to your body as possible; it makes a big difference in how much heat is passed to you. I would highly reommend them. I have used this set up for the last six years with no issues.

It is correct that you don't want to match Widder with other brands. I asked my Powerlet guy about mixing and matching and he was sure to specify NOT to connect to them.

I have a dual controller, which I haven't used a ton but I like not having too many wires everywhere. I think the biggest issue for me is how I connect to the power on the bike, I put a powerlet on the right side, but the natural place for the controller is the left side (adjust while riding). I opted not to use the panel mounted controller for vanity.

I normally was OK running a long sleeve T under my work shirt, then a sweatshirt over my work shirt and my textile jacket with rain liner in....but I still got cold enough in the 30 minute ride to work to annoy me. I am looking forward to trying the gloves and liner, and foregoing the thick winter gloves and T-shirt/Sweatshirt combo (it was green and never coordinated...). I also bought a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket, which is much better for cooler weather than my textile. It is also water resistant, so I can maybe skip the 15th layer of rain suit if it isn't pouring.

Archived