Road Debris

Birdman

• Member Contributer

Riding along the California 210 freeway at 75mph, with my usual vigilance and care. Suddenly this 2 foot piece of big rig tire carcass gets kicked up and smacks me in the shoulder. Now, I'm wearing a fairly heavy leather jacket, but that was almost like getting hit by a baseball bat without my shirt on. In the second just before impact, I was able to brace for the blow and hang on to the grips tighter. :goofy:

Lucky it wasn't a bigger piece and lucky it didn't hit me square on. Just left a broad smudge on my jacket that buffed out fine. Couldn't freakin imagine if I were one of those clowns riding around in a t-shirt. :blink: Would've added me to HS's list of victims.

Sorry to hear that, Birdman, but glad you were OK.

I had to dodge the remnants of a blown-out truck tire during my commute a couple mornings ago. One more reason to avoid slabbing it when possible!

• Member Contributer

With the amount of accidents those things cause I'm still amazed that the Government still allows retreads on the highway. And that's not counting all the near misses like this one that don't get reported.

With the amount of accidents those things cause I'm still amazed that the Government still allows retreads on the highway. And that's not counting all the near misses like this one that don't get reported.

As much as I agree with you on the retreads, having been a OTR semi-driver, even with retreads on, I never had one cut loose on me, because it is my belief to keep a eye on the tyre pressure..... I think that is the biggest factor....JMHO...

I've had chunks of tire treads take out the windshield on my Rodeo on two different ocassions on the interstate. The first time, a piece about 18" long got struck by a car in front of me - did what I call the "football bounce" (3-5 small bounces and then one big bounce). I dove into the passengers seat.

Got into this same discussion with a truck driver on the ZRXOA board - I was bitching severely about the gov't still allowing retreads. His story is that most of tire chunks come off of under inflated original tires. He said that most tractor trailer tires are 5-6 ply tires designed to be run at about 100 psi. Drivers don't check their air pressures, they get low, over heat, and come apart.

Monk - can you elaborate on this for us please?

Birdman Fred! Haven't seen that name in a while. :warranty:

Those road gators can take you right off your bike, I hear. I've managed to avoid learning firsthand.

Glad you're OK.

That kind of thing mainly worries me in the dark, but I rarely ride in the dark on the Freeway.

It's a little spooky. :fing02:

I've had chunks of tire treads take out the windshield on my Rodeo on two different ocassions on the interstate. The first time, a piece about 18" long got struck by a car in front of me - did what I call the "football bounce" (3-5 small bounces and then one big bounce). I dove into the passengers seat.

Got into this same discussion with a truck driver on the ZRXOA board - I was bitching severely about the gov't still allowing retreads. His story is that most of tire chunks come off of under inflated original tires. He said that most tractor trailer tires are 5-6 ply tires designed to be run at about 100 psi. Drivers don't check their air pressures, they get low, over heat, and come apart.

Monk - can you elaborate on this for us please?

Well, 90 lbs. was what I ran.... but you pretty much covered it ..... what a lot of truck drivers do is check the tyre by hitting it with a weighted stick.... sorry, doesn't work as well as a gauge.... Single tyres(steering) look full or flat .... where as double wheels can be supported by one good tyre while the one beside it can be low or flat.... flat, you'll feel it with the stick.... low you won't..... That's the one that will blow..... Another thing when you get near one is to listen for a thumping sound ( a knot or one coming lose ... Quickly back off or gas it .... which ever works when you hear it...

I've said it before, it's not retreads that are a problem, it's dumb drivers. If the government should do anything it's put a mileage limit on retreads and start making drivers pay attention to their air pressure.

I've noticed a lot of road gators on the road lately. Temperatures have been somewhat high and drivers are probably being pushed harder to make more miles without stopping and checking tire condition given the state of the economy. Banning retreads will never happen, retreads are pennies compared to new truck tires and really aren't that unsafe if properly maintained (keep in mind, a brand new tire can shred a casing from the carcass no different than a retread if put through the same lack of maintenance) and our OTR truck drivers are already disgruntled enough with how little they get paid and how much everything costs.

- Patrick

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

money mainly

• Member Contributer

I've heard that tire pressure monitors are becoming mandatory on cars. They should be mandatory on trucks, too. Those tires are obviously much more dangerous to others.

• Member Contributer

I'm suprised that they don't already have internal electronic tire pressure gages on semis. Or maybe they do, but only on the new ones. I don't know, and I didn't see it listed on any of the websites. On a truck, it's not really going to throw off the tire balance. Just need a nice dash gage to control/view all the tires. Then again, that would only work for the tires on the truck, not the trailer. FAIL.

• Member Contributer

In our 2010 transit connect van here at work they do have wireless tire pressure transmitters mounted inside the rim on the valve stem, but seriously You CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER.... Until Society gets back to being personally responsible, nothing will change..

Just my .02

Gary

Archived