A Simple Cargo Net, Anyone?

Guest vthoky

Good morning, all. I'm chiming in today to ask if there's a good method for attaching a simple cargo net to the tail of my '07.

I've used a standard six-dollar stretchy cargo net on my 599 for three years now, and it attaches nicely to the seat's fold-out hooks and the the grab bar. The VFR has no such hooks, so I'm at a loss for carrying "a little" of something.

Sometimes my commute to work involves a backpack for my daily gear; other times I use a Fieldsheer tail bag. I love the tail bag, but some days it (or the backpack) is just too much luggage for what I need to carry. Best example: all I want to carry for a day trip is a tiny camera bag or a baseball cap. Or, for instance, last week's honda599.com scavenger hunt -- I had to carry a newspaper from place to place. As it stands I can't carry a newspaper on my VFR, short of stuffing it into my jacket. If I could have the stretchy-net device behind me, I'd be set.

So... given there are no hooks under the seat, what's my option for attaching a cargo net?

Thanks, all.

• Member Contributer

I'm at work or I'd send ya a picture of how I attach the net... instead I'll shoot for 1000 words. LOL On the passenger foot pegs there is a little hole for attaching the hard bags... I put one hook in that hole on each side, this is the front of the net. The back of the net I work around the grap rails on the rear of the bike and then hook them into the front of the net it'self. Works very well for me.

Kevin

I'm at work or I'd send ya a picture of how I attach the net... instead I'll shoot for 1000 words. LOL On the passenger foot pegs there is a little hole for attaching the hard bags... I put one hook in that hole on each side, this is the front of the net. The back of the net I work around the grap rails on the rear of the bike and then hook them into the front of the net it'self. Works very well for me.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin, I understand what you're describing... I think. If you get time to take a pic or two, though, I'd appreciate it.

I've been staring at a pic of my VFR (no internet connection in the garage... yet) wondering if I could add a piece to the footpeg piece you mention. In its simplest, just a rod or bar, aligned with the muffler and attached to the back of that footpeg piece (using the hole you mention as one of the mounts). Something protruding straight back, so as to have something for the net hooks to get hold of.

The OCD in me says I've got to make it look good, as well as be functional. Form follows function, but I'm greedy -- I want both! :beer:

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin, I understand what you're describing... I think. If you get time to take a pic or two, though, I'd appreciate it.

I've been staring at a pic of my VFR (no internet connection in the garage... yet) wondering if I could add a piece to the footpeg piece you mention. In its simplest, just a rod or bar, aligned with the muffler and attached to the back of that footpeg piece (using the hole you mention as one of the mounts). Something protruding straight back, so as to have something for the net hooks to get hold of.

The OCD in me says I've got to make it look good, as well as be functional. Form follows function, but I'm greedy -- I want both! :beer:

You would want to secure said bar in 2 spots, so it doesn't rotate under pressure...nothing worse than loosing your stashed stuff...I lost a case of Mountain Dew once, it was devastating!

You would want to secure said bar in 2 spots, so it doesn't rotate under pressure...nothing worse than loosing your stashed stuff...I lost a case of Mountain Dew once, it was devastating!

Yep! I've been staring at that footpeg holder, thinking:

a) removal is a breeze

b) clamping in it the mill may be a little challenging, but I'm sure I can work it out.

c) is there an area along that line where there is enough material to drill and counterbore

d) if I can't counterbore, then can I at least mill a flat on the outside so as to use a nice button-head

e) gotta grab my Fastenal rep on Monday and get some stainless fasteners coming

:beer:

Ack. Just found that the back sides of those footpeg holders are not symmetrical. Right side has bosses cast in; left side doesn't.

Looking for other mounting points now....

• Member Contributer

Kevin

Vthoky,

I'm not 100% sure I follow what you're trying to do. I think I get it, but then I can also see another way that you might mean this. And I can think of two different solutions, depending upon how you mean it. (Of course, you might mean it in an entirely different manner. Or other people are bound to have better ideas. But this is what I've got for you.)

First, if you are only trying to secure the front hooks for the bungee cargo net, then you could drill two small holes at the end of the passenger footpegs themselves, and hook the net through those holes. (When you are carrying something in the net, it's sitting on the passenger seat anyway. So you fold the passenger pegs up, hook the front of the net through it, and you're good to go.)

Second, if you are trying to find something low to which you can attach both the forward hooks AND the rear hooks - something that will look good as well as be functional - then you might want to look at the Honda factory saddlebag mounts. New, I think that you can only buy them with the saddlebags, but you may possibly be able to find a used set for sale.

To see what I mean, check out the first 2 pictures in the FS post here on VFRD. (Note that I have no affiliation with that seller - it's just the first post-with-pix-showing-the-OEM-saddlebag-mounts that I found when I was searched VFRD.) Those may meet your qualifications of both form and function.

Best of luck,

Ron

Thanks, Ron. To clarify, I want to be able to put the net over the rear section of the seat. The passenger footpeg mount is a good place for the front set of hooks (I'll either take or edit a picture afterwhile to better clarify.) The middle and rear hooks are the ones currently "homeless."

I like your idea of the factory hard bag mounts, though I'd like to do something a bit more covert. Taking that hard-mount concept, I could attach to the right side as pictured (thank you for pointing to a thread with pics!) but not head downward as that one does. I'd prefer to follow the line of the underside of the factory muffler. I could mirror-image that on the left side (I'm still wondering about the bosses cast in on the right-side piece and absent from the left-side piece) and join them by a horizontal span below the mufflers. It's a thought.

I've had my head up under there briefly, and I do now see the bolts that attach the factory mufflers' heat shields. I'm scheming on that a bit now, wondering if I can fabricate a piece to attach there (replacing those bolts with slightly longer ones -- should be easy, the other end is visible beneath the seat) extending outward from the centerline. Imagine a PC board standoff, but much beefier and with an offset mounting hole. With that in place, I could either 1) attach another piece (aligned front-rear with the bike) with a hook or hole on each end, or 2) just use the four corners of the net, attaching the rear hooks to that "beefy standoff."

I wish I'd thought of this problem last week -- I had some slack time available. I'll be busier than the old one-armed paper hanger this week, and likely won't have time to monkey with this project. I'll keep you posted...

Thanks, again!

God I love this place. Something as simple as a bungee net and this guy is breaking out a mill and stainless fasteners! LOL! Go man go!

I'm geek like that. :unsure:

And speaking of geek, here's a pic of the 599 with cargo net (garage junk edited out):

cargo_net_1.jpg

Red arrows indicate the fold-out hooks (convenient little gadgets that the VFR didn't get); yellow ones show the net's own hooks attached to the net itself, after running through the grab rail.

Here's the same net, just laid over the VFR seat.

cargo_net_2.jpg

Having set that up for the photo (please ignore my big ol' fan and backpack), I realized that the net is going to rub the heck out of the bodywork there. Not nice. Option: clear paint-protection film over those areas. Can do.

Another option: what are these two slots for?

cargo_net_3.jpg

Could I perhaps use them for running a web strap through from one side to the other? With loops on each end, I could make some mounting points available.

And while we're showing pics, here's the bolt to which I had earlier mentioned attaching a big ol' standoff:

cargo_net_4.jpg

And two more that ought to make good mounting points somehow:

cargo_net_5.jpg

Just more things to think on, on a sunny Sunday afternoon....

The two slots are for the helmet "locks".

?? How so? Got pic?

And in a similar vein, why does the right side footpeg mount have those two bosses cast in, while the left doesn't?

Thankya!

I have a different avenue you might want to consider that won't involve drilling holes and such....

Buy some webbing/Straps, loop and sew the ends using a box-stitch ; make the straps long enough to go under the seat and come out far enough so the bungee hooks aren't being pressed against the seats leather ; then you can hook your bungee to the strapes ; clean portable and and no marks/holes/etc. ; I would have 3 or 4 straps made depending on how many hooks are on the net.........

You can get the webbing at Hobby-Lobby or some such fabric store, and if you can't sew then any sewing shop can(upholstery shop,etc.).... get a tape measure and measure the finished length( each may differ due to the seat tappering as you go towards the back.... a box stitch is a small square box with an X going to each corner..... and if the straps are synthetic then melt the ends to stop fraying(bic lighter)........ OR NOT :unsure:

I have a different avenue you might want to consider that won't involve drilling holes and such....

Buy some webbing/Straps, loop and sew the ends using a box-stitch ; make the straps long enough to go under the seat and come out far enough so the bungee hooks aren't being pressed against the seats leather ; then you can hook your bungee to the strapes ; clean portable and and no marks/holes/etc. ; I would have 3 or 4 straps made depending on how many hooks are on the net.........

You can get the webbing at Hobby-Lobby or some such fabric store, and if you can't sew then any sewing shop can(upholstery shop,etc.).... get a tape measure and measure the finished length( each may differ due to the seat tappering as you go towards the back.... a box stitch is a small square box with an X going to each corner..... and if the straps are synthetic then melt the ends to stop fraying(bic lighter)........ OR NOT :cool:

Thanks, Monk. That may just be the key. :fing02: Next trip to the garage, I'll get some measuring done.

Eventually, perhaps, I can upgrade to a Sargent seat --> they come with hooks! Wha97hk3_.jpg

In the short term, I may just be doing some sewing. :unsure:

The two slots are for the helmet "locks".

?? How so? Got pic?

And in a similar vein, why does the right side footpeg mount have those two bosses cast in, while the left doesn't?

Thankya!

Bosses? What the hell is a boss? But I think you are talking about the bolt holes on the rear foot peg frame? Those are for the ABS bike to bolt the rear shock adjuster to.

Bosses? What the hell is a boss? But I think you are talking about the bolt holes on the rear foot peg frame? Those are for the ABS bike to bolt the rear shock adjuster to.

Yeah, those. The cast-in standoffs on the inside of the right-side footpeg mount. A protuberant part or body -- simply, the thing that sticks out. :biggrin:

Thanks for clueing me in on what those are there for. :happy:

• 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I installed a Frankinbolt for that purpose (the black shock cord, to prevent rattling, was moved to the underside of the fender later)

post-13282-0-19076900-1386101981.jpg

Archived