Ventura Ripoff?

Guest zeebee

Guest zeebee

I had a full Ventura Rack Bag on my previous CBR and now that I want to transfer it over to my sixth gen, thought I'd just wander down and order the appropriate L Mounts to suit the VFR.

Were they available ? yes sir, but they will cost you $260 for the set.

After collecting self from the floor, I checked, were these the two little mounts that bolt onto the HandGrips?

Are they made from platinum ?

Yes sir, and No sir was the answer. I replied " but the whole rack system with bag and all only costs $450!!"

Yes sir was the answer.

Needless to say I left empty handed.

What options do I have ? Probably..get something else or make the mounts myself.

Anybody else struck this sort of pricing strategy?

Let's see if I can type faster than Ian.

Welcome to VFRD, Zeebee, where are you located?

Yep Ventura are special like this. Not only do they practise what you've discovered - if you just want to buy a new bag for your existing system (to replace an old faded one, or a stolen one, or even to just run two bags), you need to provide the internal tag from the old bag, otherwise they won't sell it to you - they'll make you buy a new rack to get the bag. Seems they felt they were losing money by not doing this, but I know for a fact that all they've done with this strategy is send customers to Oxford and other luggage manufacturers.

I love their gear, but I won't play their game if I need new luggage.

Maybe ebay or other used sales site can help (or this site, some people go from Ventura to hard luggage).

What options do I have ? Probably..get something else or make the mounts myself.

Here's another option - they're made just down the road aways from here, and retail here for between NZ$90 and NZ$130, which is about US$50 - 80.

Oh - and (maybe it's because they're made here?) it's no problem buying any of the bits by themselves. As far as I know (I've bought individual bags, brackets, etc.)

• Member Contributer

keep an eye on fleabay. I bought a ventura rack for $60. Came with L brackets for 4th and 5th gen and the sport rack but no bag, which I could live with.

Thanks Folks....

Phantom, I'm in Sunny (at least at the moment) Perth but the bike came from your way in Brissy.

I'm going to do a trip soon to the other island so I might do as EnZed suggests and get them there.

The retards who think they can price them indiscriminately will miss out.

Alternatively, I may just get the welding set out and mod the old L-Brackets up, but it seems a waste.

One of my CBR friends has their eye on them.

Cheers..>Z

zeebee, if you need me to find some and mail them to you, I'm quite happy to do that. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for any on the auction sites here.

That's awfully kind of you EnZed.

Rather than put you out, I'll explore one or two options here, but if that's no good, and you're able to get them, I'll cover your costs and ensure that you have a carton on me.

Cheers...Z

• Member Contributer
I had a full Ventura Rack Bag on my previous CBR and now that I want to transfer it over to my sixth gen, thought I'd just wander down and order the appropriate L Mounts to suit the VFR.

Were they available ? yes sir, but they will cost you $260 for the set.

After collecting self from the floor, I checked, were these the two little mounts that bolt onto the HandGrips?

Are they made from platinum ?

Yes sir, and No sir was the answer. I replied " but the whole rack system with bag and all only costs $450!!"

Yes sir was the answer.

Needless to say I left empty handed.

Did you try CycleVenture?

http://www.cycleventure.com/products/pack_system/index.htm

Prices seem reasonable to me.

MD

Sounds like a very poor policy on their part.

Stick it to your customers. :pissed:

you need to provide the internal tag from the old bag, otherwise they won't sell it to you - they'll make you buy a new rack to get the bag.

Major crock! I was previously interested in this system, but those are poor business practices at best, to the point that I wouldn't buy it. Thanks for the tip, I'll look elsewhere.

you need to provide the internal tag from the old bag, otherwise they won't sell it to you - they'll make you buy a new rack to get the bag.

Major crock! I was previously interested in this system, but those are poor business practices at best, to the point that I wouldn't buy it. Thanks for the tip, I'll look elsewhere.

It sounds kinda bogus that this is the case overseas, when here in Noo Zilund you can buy any of the bits, no problems. It must be something weird to do with the way the distributor/reseller network is set up for other markets.

I've owned three bikes now that have had Ventura racks (and bags) fitted. The only beefs I have with them are that although they're not too obtrusive, they're not exactly aesthetically pleasing; the racks themselves have not been made to take advantage of the availability of newer and better materials; and even though the material the bags are made of is very robust and water-resistant, the seams will let water in after prolonged rain. You can get a storm cover that fixes this, but it's made of nylon and flaps around horribly. I tend to just put anything that needs to be kept dry into plastic supermarket bags inside the Ventura bag.

I got it arse-about - Ventura will sell you a bag, but they wont sell you a rack unless you buy it with a bag or provide proof that you own one of their bags.

Some info in this topic:

http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10305

As I said I'm a big fan of their gear and have bought three complete systems over the years, but if this policy ever gets between me and happy camping then I'll likely shop elsewhere.

I had some grief with the distributor a couple of years ago when one of the L brackets broke. I emailed the distributor - his answer, you must have had more than 9 kg weight on it - end of story, no further discussion. I rang them and the guy I spoke to was pretty rude and unprofessional.

Ended up I got a pair of fleabay so I could still use the bags etc that I have.

I vowed never to purchase their system again.

Yes, it's starting to sound a little bit like the issue is with the Australian distributor rather than Ventura per se.

It would be interesting to hear of any similar issues with overseas customers.

If it's Australian only, then the local distributors (who sell other items as well) should be given a rocket.

The problem here sounds like the Australian vendor rather than Ventura. My dealings with the U.S. vendor Cycleventure have been excellent and have not ran into any such problems. One of the plastic plugs that cover the bolts fell out and they mailed me 4 more at no cost. I met the NW sales rep. and she provided great customer service.

I got it arse-about - Ventura will sell you a bag, but they wont sell you a rack unless you buy it with a bag or provide proof that you own one of their bags.

When I bought the VFR, it didn't have a rack on it, but I had a couple of the bags from the last two bikes. The only trouble I had was with the shop I bought the bike from: they promised to have the rack fitted, but when I turned up to pick the bike up on the agreed day, no rack! They tried to fob me off with some BS story about them being unavailable. I went to see my 'bike guy' (another shop), and he said, "Nah! That sounds very unlikely to me!" (or words to that effect). He ordered a rack, and we fitted it the next day, with no need for me to prove I already had some bags. I then asked the first shop for some money for the rack (which was NZ$100, or about US$7.38), and they got very upset, saying, "But then we don't get our margin on the sale of the rack!"

FFS! What a crappy (non) customer service attitude. Up till that point, I'd intended for them to do all my servicing, but I've never been back, and in the last nearly 5 years, haven't spent a cent in their shop (but have spent thousands elsewhere).

• Member Contributer

The problem here sounds like the Australian vendor rather than Ventura. My dealings with the U.S. vendor Cycleventure have been excellent and have not ran into any such problems. One of the plastic plugs that cover the bolts fell out and they mailed me 4 more at no cost. I met the NW sales rep. and she provided great customer service.

As I was trying to say... ditto! +1 to Cycleventure

MD

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Bought my entire setup from www.cycleventure.com

the people were great to deal with.

I am thinking about getting one of the discounted 2008 CBR's, and I wanted to check on the price of the L-brackets for that one - $145 through cycleventure, no problem.

• Member Contributer
Bought my entire setup from www.cycleventure.com

the people were great to deal with.

I am thinking about getting one of the discounted 2008 CBR's, and I wanted to check on the price of the L-brackets for that one - $145 through cycleventure, no problem.

My experience with cycleventure in USA was excellent. They even exhanged one of the mounts that I bought from somebody else at no cost..............no sweat.

Wonder how Zeebee got on with this? I contacted some shops here to find out prices (dearer than I thought), and gave him their email addresses so he could order from them. He was going to get back to me if they wouldn't/couldn't supply the brackets to him, and hasn't, so I guess that means he was successful. :fing02:

Archived