Zumo 550 Security Screw

SpiralGray

For those of you with the Zumo 550, do you always tighten that security screw thingy in the mount when riding? And what have you done with the little screwdriver. The manual makes some comment about putting it on your key chain, but I don't want the thing rubbing on the triple clamp and I haven't found a key chain that is small enough to fit through the hole in the screwdriver. I went for a short inaugural ride the other day and didn't tighten it, it seemed pretty secure as it was.

• Member Contributer
For those of you with the Zumo 550, do you always tighten that security screw thingy in the mount when riding? And what have you done with the little screwdriver. The manual makes some comment about putting it on your key chain, but I don't want the thing rubbing on the triple clamp and I haven't found a key chain that is small enough to fit through the hole in the screwdriver. I went for a short inaugural ride the other day and didn't tighten it, it seemed pretty secure as it was.

check out zumo forum. Someone sells a thumb screw to replace the little security screw. Much better and easier!

I've read on the Zumo forum where people have lost there Zumo while riding because they did not tighten there screw. I bought the after market screw off of the Zumo forum and love it, best few bucks I've spent.

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=1153.0

This is where I ordered mine from.

http://touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?sku=065-0147

• Member Contributer

I use a 2 piece keychain, you know those ones that lock together... Anyways it works well to hold the screwdriver, house key, hard bag keys and so on, I can stick in my pocket. Where the other part that unlocks from the rest has just the key to the bike on it. Woks well..

And ya check out Zumo forums, there are people who try not tightening the mount and they have the aftermath pictures to show you of what a Zumo looks like after its fallen off a bike at 70mph. They can stand up to the fall, but that crash of hitting the road and being run over by the car behind you does a number on the unit.

• Member Contributer

I bought the thumb screw from the Dutch gentleman on Zumo forums. Best use of a couple bucks to save a couple hundred dollars GPS. Quick shipping, too.

• Member Contributer
I bought the thumb screw from the Dutch gentleman on Zumo forums. Best use of a couple bucks to save a couple hundred dollars GPS. Quick shipping, too.

+1 I ordered 2 screws in case of loss. I didn't want to pay for shipping again just for one $7 screw.

Thanks for the feedback. After reading some of the referenced threads I decided to order a replacement screw as recommended. I decided to order from this guy because: (a) he's in the US; and (b) he was less expensive than any of the alternatives ($7.50 shipped). I placed the order at 4:24 and at 4:30 I got a shipping confirmation email.

I dont use the screw, and have covered about 15k km with the zumo and haven't lost it smile.gif

Sounds like your playing the odds might be time for a screw! :goofy: (and no not that kind! :laugh: )

• Member Contributer

I use the screw mainly because I dont want someone to walk up and yank it off when I am out somewhere.

I took and old flat tip screwdriver and with a dremel tool cut the groove. Makes it easier to take on and off than the little one.

• Member Contributer

I never used the OEM security screw because it was a PITA to use. I do use an aftermarket screw now. Never had a problem with the Zumo bouncing though.

2594920230099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

silly me I just got a $1 small screw driver from the checkout at autozone, and notched it with a dremel (it lives in the tank bag), ps that little pocket in the zumo case works well for keeping that little factory driver.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd do a quick follow up. I ordered the thumb screw from http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49002. When it arrived the Post Office screwed up and tried to charge me postage due on it (and it was the Post Office's fault, not the seller's). I contacted the seller about it and we agreed that I'd tell the post office to return to sender while he sent out another one. He actually ended up sending two for my trouble.

If you're looking for an alternative to the one that comes with it, I'd recommend dealing with this guy. His is high quality and less expensive than the ones ordered from overseas.

silly me I just got a $1 small screw driver from the checkout at autozone, and notched it with a dremel (it lives in the tank bag), ps that little pocket in the zumo case works well for keeping that little factory driver.

Yeah, but then I'd have to go buy a dremel, which would kind of defeat the purpose of going with a low-cost solution.

Yeah, but then I'd have to go buy a dremel, which would kind of defeat the purpose of going with a low-cost solution.

No Dremel :blush:

No Dremel :cool:

Yeah, I know, I should hand in my "Guy Card." It's a combination of being a cheap bas***d and I've never had enough need for a dremel to justify the expense.

Archived