Mods For X-c Trip

Guest trapp120

Question

Guest trapp120

I just picked up an '02 VFR and would like to make a few mods for the long haul, but, I need some specific advice and possibly a link or instructions on products and install. I've been searching here and ST.N, but, info is all over and seems there's a lot of dead-ends with certain questions. I'm camping, and may or may not alternate hotels. The bike has 7,200 miles, a Sargent seat, Helibars, and a Throttlemeister.

1. GPS Mount. I have a Zumo 550 that is currently wired up to my Husky 610. I know I could take it off and wire it up to the VFR, but, I have quite a few bikes and it would just be easier to get a new mount if possible. Any suggestions on obtaining a mount that would work with the 550, possibly with placement above the Triple in the center of the bike?

2. Charging. Searching the forum I found a link to WireMyBike and a few other sources. I need to charge at the minimum, my cell phone. Having a cigarette adapter would be fantastic, but, I wouldn't say I'm very proficient with electrical wiring and it's a bit over my head. Is there a simple plug-and-play device? If someone has a great setup, please let me know. I have a laptop that wouldn't last a few days without a charge and I work exclusively from home, and since I'll be camping, having access to a computer is pretty vital. I can use the iPhone at the bare minimum, but a computer would be easiest.

3. Maintenance: I've found that the tire question has been asked a hundred times and I've already decided what I'm going with. However, I do have questions about certain parts/fluids you would check/replace prior to a road trip. I plan on taking the bike into a local shop (though meeting up with a forum member local to PDX with experience on this bike would be better) and will have an inspection and replace what needs to be replaced.

4. The gear (riding and camping) is fairly straight-forward and have or will have what is needed. I'm more concerned about making sure the VFR is in good condition. With that being said, I'm open to gear suggestions, no matter how small, to make the ride that much better.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer
1. GPS Mount. I have a Zumo 550 that is currently wired up to my Husky 610. I know I could take it off and wire it up to the VFR, but, I have quite a few bikes and it would just be easier to get a new mount if possible. Any suggestions on obtaining a mount that would work with the 550, possibly with placement above the Triple in the center of the bike?

There is a Ram Ball mount designed to clamp to a handlebar, where the two bolts are perfectly spaced to pick up the two gas tank bolts. Further info here.

2. Charging. Searching the forum I found a link to WireMyBike and a few other sources. I need to charge at the minimum, my cell phone. Having a cigarette adapter would be fantastic, but, I wouldn't say I'm very proficient with electrical wiring and it's a bit over my head. Is there a simple plug-and-play device? If someone has a great setup, please let me know. I have a laptop that wouldn't last a few days without a charge and I work exclusively from home, and since I'll be camping, having access to a computer is pretty vital. I can use the iPhone at the bare minimum, but a computer would be easiest.

You could just get a cig lighter and wire it straight to your battery. I would not reccomend this, as it would be quite easy to kill your battery by forgetting to to unplug whatever is charging (or if the circuit shorts). However, if you're CERTAIN you'll never forget to unplug, that's all you need to do. But... it's really pretty easy to wire in a simple relay so that your cig lighter is only on when the ignition is on. You have power in from the battery, power out to your cig socket, a trigger wire that you splice to a wire that turns on with the bike (such as your headlight or taillight), and a ground wire. The relay will only allow power from the battery to your charger if the trigger wire is on (ie, if the bike is running). Head down to Radio Shack, tell them you need an automotive power relay, and they'll hook you right up. They even make nifty splice-clips that make tapping into the trigger wire a cinch. As for the socket install itself, check this thread.

3. Maintenance: I've found that the tire question has been asked a hundred times and I've already decided what I'm going with. However, I do have questions about certain parts/fluids you would check/replace prior to a road trip. I plan on taking the bike into a local shop (though meeting up with a forum member local to PDX with experience on this bike would be better) and will have an inspection and replace what needs to be replaced.

Change your oil, unless you've already done that recently. Bring a can of chain lube and a rag, and take care of your chain, especially after riding through rain. Other then that, there's not much on a 7,000 mile bike that would need checking or replacement.

Re: gear, WEAR EARPLUGS! If you don't ride with them, you cannot even imagine how much less fatiguing it is to be wearing them. The noise reduction makes a huge difference on a long ride.

Have a blast!

Hey Trapp. I'm not much one for posting but saw nobody replied and I've been cost to cost so...

1. GPS, if you get the U-ball base from RAM Mount (B231ZU) (http://www.ram-mount.com/EmptyPages/COMPONENTS/BCOMPONENTS/tabid/1556/Default.aspx)

this will mount where the two fuel tank bolts are up by the tree and don't forget that arm thing or you may use the one you already have.

2. For charging / electric get a fused fuseblock and wire everything off that. bring the battery tender.

3. Good plan. Make sure you have a credit card to have in case you need to have work done, tires, replacement gear, tent, (insert whatever).

4. Camalback, about a liter. Read David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling section on heat exhaustion / heatstroke. Consider a new chain with them tiers.

Good luck,

Doug

P.S.

Rest and sleep it may save your life.

I would suggest, for the wiring part, that you install a powerlet and get the adapter(s) needed. My current setup is:

Steering stem powerlet, which is relayed to only be active when the bike is. I use this for my GPS, Headphone amp charger, cell phone charger, camera charger. The Cell phone and camera are both cigarette lighter based, so I have 2 cigarette adapters in my tank bag. I use this kit:

PTB-001_p_166_webl.jpg

to transfer power into my tank bag, then i split it to 3 outputs so I can run most any device at any time. Powerlet carries cables for almost anything, although i built my own specific cables.

I also have a powerlet connector on the rear panel that covers the brake master cylinder. This is wired directly to my battery, for use for battery charging (I wired my charger to a Powerlet connector), or for running a tire pump or any other roadside need.

For your laptop you will need an inverter, and it is best to NOT run them in tight spots as they can generate heat, as could your laptop. Be careful when doing so. I would suggest using your laptop on battery when not riding, and let it charge while you are riding, by wiring your luggage in such a way that it can do so.

If you need any help coming up with a system that will be exactly what you want, shoot me a PM and we can talk...I love designing stuff like this.

wow, you guys are awesome. Thanks.

SC, good info on the ram ball and YES I do wear earplugs. I have no idea what people would do without those (besides lose hearing). Makes the trip that much easier. I will get the oil change and make sure they check out the brakes/clutch (would be nice to have suspension set up as well).

Nightflight. Camelback! I would have totally overlooked that, yet it's been on my mind. Thanks for bringing that up. I've been so concerned about running out of gas (i.e. packing MSR bottles with gas) that I overlooked extra water.

Tightwad. Sounds like a good setup. I will PM you as my needs are specific and I'd like the most efficient setup. Keep in mind, definitely not an electrician but I did initially wire my GPS to the Husky so I can be proficient when needed wink.gif

The laptop sounded like a bad idea, and it still sounds like one. I've read about the possibility of overheating/running the battery dead and I'm not sure if it's worth it. However, keeping my iPhone charged would then be priority #1.

I know I have other questions, but I'll search around for them.

• Member Contributer

Everyone has said some excellent advice, but I just want to throw in a few more cents...

I took the bar mounted RAM mount with the U-bolt that came with the ZUMO and mounted it on the verticle section of the left Heli-Bar, so that the ball is to the right of the U-bolt. With the small extension, the Zumo is directly center over the triple clamp, and you can have it lower than what it'd be like if you did the tank mounted bolt option. For power, I used the Powerlet kit that mounts in the (head nut?) (can't think of the technical term). You'll find it on the powerlet website. This allows me to remove the zumo and mount in about 5 seconds.

For charging, make sure your system is up to par. There's a how to for troubleshooting your electrical system, and it'd be good to check that your voltages are good. I had about 29K on mine when I did a x-country trip and was paranoid and replaced the R/R and stator. (carried the spare RR with me, just in case). But other than that, I'm sure a laptop would be a large drain on the system. I'd alternate motel/camping and bring an AC charger for your laptop (plus, when it rains all day or it hot/humid, you're going to be looking forward to a hot shower and soft bed). Turn off the laptop when not in use.

For maintenance, as others said, change the oil, make sure you got tires to last, make sure the chain is in good shape, and enjoy!

For gear, +many for the camelbak idea. Especially in hot weather, you need to drink many liters a day to stay hydrated (which keeps you alert). I took a 100 oz camelbak bladder and put it in my tankbag, with the drinking hose fitted through a headphone hole in the tankbag. Also, come rain or shine, I cannot recommend having an Aerostich Roadcrafter for gear. Butt ugly and expensive, but worth it. I can't imagine touring without mine. Other things, Gold Bond, bicycle shorts, Maximum strength excedrine, and maximum strength Ben-Gay for the neck and back.

For camping, smallest tent you can get, down sleeping bag (packs real small), and a pad. I wouldn't bring anything to create fire/cook. Takes up too much room and I hate having a fire as it makes everything smell like smoke for a couple of days. Bug spray. v

I would also give someone that you can call access to this forum, just in case you break down somewhere without a bike shop nearby, you can call that person and have them post something along the lines of "trapp120 has a broken framaderchy on Hwy-XX, he can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx", as VFRD members are very helpful people.

• Member Contributer
I would also give someone that you can call access to this forum, just in case you break down somewhere without a bike shop nearby, you can call that person and have them post something along the lines of "trapp120 has a broken framaderchy on Hwy-XX, he can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx", as VFRD members are very helpful people.

:warranty: Seriously great advise!

Great post Crazy T.

Here's an update. I went to REI and picked up a 100oz and 70oz bladder for use with a backpack (1 for me, 1 for a friend) on an upcoming 3 day camping trip. Hadn't thought about the tank bag, but that's a great idea as I don't want to wear a backpack x-c.

Also, not sure how many people here do this, but I plan to carry a SPOT with me. I've been in too many areas my phones don't have coverage, i.e. Siskiyou's in So. OR, sections of No. Cal coast, Wyoming, among other remote areas . (I have a VZ phone and AT&T phone.)

Alternating hotel/camp is a good idea and I've definitely considered it. Summer, while great for riding tends to be horrible for making it to a town and hoping they have availability (at least out here in the west). So, it's either KOA, Parks and Reservations at Hotels, or just camping and hoping a hotel has vacancy.

Tires. Ah, yes. Bought the bike with PP's on them. Great for my Brutale, but I have a feeling expecting more than 3k out of them is pushing it. Plus, they were tracked once. Sure, there's a plenty of tread, but I would rather have something with more tread and, of course, new.

The tent, I'm going with a small 2 person. I've also read quite a bit about picking up metal stakes, so I'll look into that. The bag, undecided. Not 100% on the air mattress yet. I know they're great, but how is breakdown the next day?

I'm definitely going to bring something to create fire as it could save your life if needed, but, I don't plan to cook.

All in all, great post. Anything along this line is helpful.

• Member Contributer

Absolute mod #1: throttle lock.

Absolute mod #2: better seat.

Absolute mod #3: whatever....... but according to your post a waterproof 12v plug and voltmeter would be next.

• Member Contributer
Also, not sure how many people here do this, but I plan to carry a SPOT with me. I've been in too many areas my phones don't have coverage, i.e. Siskiyou's in So. OR, sections of No. Cal coast, Wyoming, among other remote areas . (I have a VZ phone and AT&T phone.)

The SPOT system is pretty good. My friend had it when he did his cleveland-alaska-mexico ride. If he didn't break it, its definitely a solid piece of hardware. Was nice to be able to track his progress online as well. He still uses it to this day. And after taking that trip down to Bedford and realizing how little cell coverage there was, I'm thinking about getting one as well.

As far as air mattresses, I have a Big Agnes mattress. Compresses down to nalgene bottle size. Takes about 5 easy minutes to fully inflate and probably the same to empty and pack away. Its not too expensive and has held up fairly well for me. Its definitely worth it. Better than nothing, and that inch or two of cushion makes the biggest difference between sleeping on hard cold ground and being fairly comfortable. I'm not sure where I bought it, but I know I paid much less than what the link has.

As for tents, its not really the tent that's an issue, its the sleeping bag. I can easily get a tent packed anywhere on the bike, but the sleeping bag is so ball shaped that its hard to get it packed in a good spot. If it is just you on the trip and you don't actually need tent space, try just getting a bivy bag. That'll save some lbs and space. And don't worry too much about the tent size. I'm using a MH Lightpath 3. It's much larger than my old PCT2 and, while I liked the structure and design of the PCT2 much better, the Lightpath packs just as small and light. So if you're not worried about leaving gear on the bike or out in the open, get a bivy bag or a tiny tent. Otherwise, get something fairly spacious.

And as far as camelpaks go, they're definitely helpful in the fact that you don't need to take your helmet off if you're thirsty. I did find that my back was always sweaty from the back being on my bake and not letting it vent properly. Just a consideration.

• Member Contributer

The one thing that I would recommend is to put an ounce or two of slime in the rear tire and have a tire patch kit + mini compressor on board. A flat can really ruin your day.

• Member Contributer

All good advice, that powerlet adapter is just what I've been wanting to modify my tankbag. I'm running power to the bag from a relay switched off the ignition but the cell and ipod use a cigarette adapter, along with my small 12V compressor for fixing flats.

A good flat kit along with CO2 cartridges or a small compressor, the compressor I have is about the size of two packs of cigarettes.

Camp gear, especially sleeping bag, goes in a dry bag, Ortlieb has one. Pick up smaller dry bags for other things you want to keep dry, REI has them but Walmart also sells them, pack of 3 for $18 I think. Work basically as compression bags too. Anything that can compress goes in a dry/compression bag; sleeping bag, clothes, tent, camp pillow :biggrin: , etc.

IMG_7036Medium.jpg

Sounds like you have a MSR already, the PocketRocket worked well for me. Folds up tiny and fits inside a small cooking pot, about 3" diameter.

msr_pocketrocket.jpg

A pad is essential, imo! Not only do you sleep better but it is the insulation between you and the ground. Thermarest, Big Agnes, REI all make some good ones. Self inflating foam, they only take one or two puffs to get them fully inflated and just a couple minutes to roll back up.

Good luck, test everything out first, packing, unpacking, setting up, etc and have fun.

Also, plenty of threads on STN on camping but also check motocampers.com, smaller site but some helpful info.

Yoshi - I will take a look at the mattress. I grew up in SouthEast AK where the ground is very soft (when you're on flat ground away from rocks and roots), but I've also lived in AZ and camped at the Grand Canyon...quite possibly the hardest ground I've ever encountered. After 300+ miles, I know for a fact I'm going to want to sleep, not lay on something resembling a park bench, hoping to sleep.

I may try the tank bag camelback idea, as I'm looking to keep the layers "just right", and a camelback may disturb that. I hear you on the sleeping bag. That's a big issue. It's more of a bulky big issue. I don't care that it's 3 1/2 lbs, they just fit weird and take up a ton of space anywhere they are. I'll look into smaller alternatives.

Rice - Not sure what you mean by "slime", but I would definitely like to have something to repair tires (not that I'm 100% sure how) and from what I've read, a lot of people carry mini-pumps around. Some suggestions would be great.

vfrcapn - great idea about the dry bags.

I'm thinking GIVI (would be sweet to find used, but may need new). Are most running the V46 top, 35 side combo? Is bigger better for a tour like this? I'm concerned about width and being top heavy. No, I don't want to start another thread on luggage, I've read a ton, but if some of the long distance tourers/campers could pipe up and let me know what they're using specifically for trips like these - that would be great. Where do you pack the tent/bag/mattress if you have a top? Things like that. Luggage is great, but I'm looking for the most efficient (and lightest) way to travel.

Thanks again, all of these responses are great.

BTW: VFRCAPN, that's a sweet setup in the pic. I see you go without a top box. Can't tell if that duffel/dry bag is all your camping gear, but it looks like the setup I want. Details!

That's quite the ride! Sounds like fun to me, wish I could take that kind of trip.

I don't think charging the laptop should be that hard, just don't hook it up while not riding....9,600 miles should give plenty of recharge time.

That's quite the ride! Sounds like fun to me, wish I could take that kind of trip.

I don't think charging the laptop should be that hard, just don't hook it up while not riding....9,600 miles should give plenty of recharge time.

Yeah, then there's that whole "WTF do I put my laptop to charge it while driving?". I do appreciate the suggestions though, because it made me realize how ridiculous charging a laptop really would be on a motorcycle trip. Sucks that I need it, but maybe I'll just be the first person to prove I can work for a month on an iPhone (if only I had a good HTML/word processor and an FTP app for it!).

• Member Contributer
BTW: VFRCAPN, that's a sweet setup in the pic. I see you go without a top box. Can't tell if that duffel/dry bag is all your camping gear, but it looks like the setup I want. Details!

It's a large size Ortlieb bag, I actually got it through Aerostich's site, http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Ortlie...gs-p-17175.html. I don't like the weight of a full trunk bag hanging off the back of the bike and prefer having whatever duffel strapped on the seat. The goal was to put all the camp gear in that bag, next trip I'll leave some unnecessary stuff at home and it'll probably work. :biggrin: For the VFRD summit I'm looking at 11 days, about 3K miles and hoping to use the smaller 20L Givi side bags instead of the 40L ones in my pic. The 40L's are 9.2 lbs each, empty. I'd think for cross county I'd use the larger ones though, it would depend on the number of days for me, not necessary mileage, ymmv.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, then there's that whole "WTF do I put my laptop to charge it while driving?". I do appreciate the suggestions though, because it made me realize how ridiculous charging a laptop really would be on a motorcycle trip. Sucks that I need it, but maybe I'll just be the first person to prove I can work for a month on an iPhone (if only I had a good HTML/word processor and an FTP app for it!).

I haven't dragged my laptop along but using the ipod for any intensive purpose is annoying. I just saw an HP Netbook advertised today for $199, through Verizon and requires 2 year contract. Seems like it would be a good tool for road warriors though with built in 3G.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/hpnetbook/overview.jsp

• Member Contributer

I have an inverter under the seat of my 4th gen. Not exactly the best airflow, but I don't run it constantly. Usually have it on for a couple hours at a time at most. It gets warm, but haven't had an issue with it so far. I have it wired from the battery to a fuse, to a switch and back to the inverter. Also left the inverter switch on, so I have a safety button. Can't accidentally turn it on.

If you're really going to need a laptop and need a true travel warrior, you may consider the toughbook business line-up. I just picked up a T5 for $480, which is quite a bit for an older laptop, but I get a 10hr battery life, and seems like it only takes 3-4hrs to charge it from dead to full. For my normal use here, I usually have to charge it every three days. Also has a touchscreen, which is absolutely awesome. A nettop is much cheaper and smaller, and thats about the only advantages it has. Besides, if you're going to be using wifi, you will probably be around a few open outlets as well. Pretty sure 3G wouldn't be a problem as most of these laptops were able to have GPS and other odd radio bands built in.

Just ordered the V46 with mounting bracket. I would have gone for side cases and saved the top for the camping gear, but I'm still not 100% on the extra weight on the sides. I'll do a few trips with the top case and see what I can do, but figuring out where the camping gear is going might be a bit of an issue - unless it can be strapped behind me with the top case on.

As for the computer. I can pack a laptop, not a huge issue - keeping it charged with 3 hrs of downtime not related to sleep might be though. I use Mac's only, so a PC is pretty much out of the question.

gallery_6347_1009_16.jpg

Loaded and ready to go. Honda OEM bags, Ventura luggage rack, Technic tank bag. Over 130 liters of stuff.

This is my '02 I put 70k miles on it. I have been out for 10 days 3700 miles and all I need fits in the OEM bags. I absolutely love them. If I did camp I would strap the tent, sleeping bag, and pad to the Ventura Sport rack without the Ventura bag or strap it to the back seat handles. If you need more space you are bringing too much. If you haven't done this much you will bring too much. If I was out for a month I would not bring more stuff. You can mail stuff home like dirty laundry.

Check out Soundrider.com web site for light weight gear and book "Pack light Pack right"

My mods: Radar detector w/ volt meter, throttle lock, Cramp Buster.

Clothes: heated jacket, evaporative cooling vest, Gore Tex rain gear, leather pants and jacket, neck gator, Gore Tex gloves, vented gloves, Gore Tex boots, Long Day Comfort under shorts, microfiber shirts/socks (quick drying when washed on the road), moccasin shoes, ball cap, fleece jacket, shorts, nylon warm up pants, ear plugs, sun glasses

19 mm and 22 mm sockets/ratchet to remove wheels. When you need new tires find a Cycle Gear store, remove wheels carry them in and they will mount tires for good price. Pilot Road 2 will give best mileage, great tire. Tire compressor, $10 at Walmart and plug kit, rope type plugs w/ glue work best, gauge,

Chain lube, visor cleaner, rag, anti fog spray, water bottles, power bars, electrical tape, zip ties, bike lock, maps,

Watch the master pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHMHWC_B4cw

When is the big trip?

gallery_6347_1009_16.jpg

Loaded and ready to go. Honda OEM bags, Ventura luggage rack, Technic tank bag. Over 130 liters of stuff.

This is my '02 I put 70k miles on it. I have been out for 10 days 3700 miles and all I need fits in the OEM bags. I absolutely love them. If I did camp I would strap the tent, sleeping bag, and pad to the Ventura Sport rack without the Ventura bag or strap it to the back seat handles. If you need more space you are bringing too much. If you haven't done this much you will bring too much. If I was out for a month I would not bring more stuff. You can mail stuff home like dirty laundry.

Check out Soundrider.com web site for light weight gear and book "Pack light Pack right"

Clothes: heated jacket, evaporative cooling vest, Gore Tex rain gear, leather pants and jacket, neck gator, Gore Tex gloves, vented gloves, Gore Tex boots, Long Day Comfort under shorts, microfiber shirts/socks (quick drying when washed on the road), moccasin shoes, ball cap, fleece jacket, shorts, nylon warm up pants, ear plugs, sun glasses

19 mm and 22 mm sockets/ratchet to remove wheels. When you need new tires find a Cycle Gear store, remove wheels carry them in and they will mount tires for good price. Pilot Road 2 will give best mileage, great tire. Tire compressor, $10 at Walmart and plug kit, rope type plugs w/ glue work best, gauge,

Chain lube, visor cleaner, rag, anti fog spray, water bottles, power bars, electrical tape, zip ties, bike lock, maps,

Watch the master pack

When is the big trip?

Having those factory bags would be nice. Like I mentioned in the above post, I just ordered a V46 top case. I'm still not sold on side bags, but I may be considering that's 70 liters compared to 46. If I can pack the camping gear on the pillion in front of the top case, I think I'll be good.

Plan to leave late Sept for the big ride, but will do plenty of 3 day camping trips in the PNW before that.

Nice '02 btw, looks just lie mine wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Watch the master pack

Such a great thread this is... :biggrin:

Why a throttle lock AND a cramp buster? Don't they accomplish the same thing?

Anyone have any thoughts on the best bike lock?

Having those factory bags would be nice. Like I mentioned in the above post, I just ordered a V46 top case. I'm still not sold on side bags, but I may be considering that's 70 liters compared to 46. If I can pack the camping gear on the pillion in front of the top case, I think I'll be good.

Plan to leave late Sept for the big ride, but will do plenty of 3 day camping trips in the PNW before that.

Nice '02 btw, looks just lie mine wink.gif

There are advantages to the side bags, the weight is lower so handling would be better and not as susceptible to side winds. The top case is behind the rear wheel so if heavily loaded lightens the front wheel. Unlike the Ventura Bag witch is over the rear seat. These affects may not be significant but are noticeable. Placing heavier items over the rear seat would help.

Archived