Which Tires?

Guest theSnaab

Question

Guest theSnaab

I'm so sure this must have been covered ad nauseum, but I've searched a bunch and can't find anything on it...

Which tires do you all like on your VFR? Specifically, I've go an '86 700 with the CBR600F2 front end and rear wheel (120/160 radials), and I need to get some new tires for it.

I've liked Michelin Pilot Powers in the past, but that was on very different machinery. Also, I'm not riding too aggressively these days, and am likely to take the VFR on a long (like cross-country) road trip in the near future. Any good sport-touring rubber I should be considering? Inexpensive is always nice too :fing02:

Interested in all opinions...

• Member Contributer

Conti Road Attacks work great for me. High mileage and I have yet to find a twist that these can't stick to and they hold up great to the slab as well. Of course I would consider myself a moderate paced rider. :fing02:

+1 on the Pilot Road 2 w/ Pilot Power front......Expensive tire, but you get alot of miles without any worries of slip....with that said I havent found but one brand tire I refuse to use again...I wont metion the brand for fear of starting an oil thread, as some people here seem to work for the company!!! Cycle Gears has/or had that sell on the Diablos which was a great deal, for a great tire...but I still like the road 2 better for the miles/$$...

Conti Road Attacks work great for me. High mileage and I have yet to find a twist that these can't stick to and they hold up great to the slab as well. Of course I would consider myself a moderate paced rider. :fing02:

Conti Road Attacks are still one of my favorite tires. Whatever you get, consider putting a sportbike (i.e. softer compound) tire on the front and sport-touring (i.e. longer tread life) tire on the rear. Just my $0.02.

• Member Contributer
I'm so sure this must have been covered ad nauseum, but I've searched a bunch and can't find anything on it...

Which tires do you all like on your VFR? Specifically, I've go an '86 700 with the CBR600F2 front end and rear wheel (120/160 radials), and I need to get some new tires for it.

I've liked Michelin Pilot Powers in the past, but that was on very different machinery. Also, I'm not riding too aggressively these days, and am likely to take the VFR on a long (like cross-country) road trip in the near future. Any good sport-touring rubber I should be considering? Inexpensive is always nice too :fing02:

It's up to you, and your riding style. we've discussed this ad nauseum and most people like the Pilot Road 2's for longevity and stickiness, but the Conti Road attacts are also very good tires, for much cheaper. Balance it out.

Is your rear wheel a 17 inch or an 18 inch? That will make a huge difference, if you have 17's front and rear you have your choice of sport bike tires, if you have to find an 18 inch you don't have many options at all. Just crap-profile cruiser tires.

It's up to you, and your riding style. we've discussed this ad nauseum and most people like the Pilot Road 2's for longevity and stickiness, but the Conti Road attacts are also very good tires, for much cheaper. Balance it out.

Is your rear wheel a 17 inch or an 18 inch? That will make a huge difference, if you have 17's front and rear you have your choice of sport bike tires, if you have to find an 18 inch you don't have many options at all. Just crap-profile cruiser tires.

Ryan, the F2 wheel conversion gives him 17's front & rear and why they do it! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Ryan, the F2 wheel conversion gives him 17's front & rear and why they do it! :fing02:

Oh, I didn't read close enough, I skipped over the word "and rear wheel"

Thanks guys! And thanks, veefer...of course I missed the most obvious tire resource. Right on the homepage...who'd of thunk it?!

I'm leaning towards the Contis based on the recommendations here and this review, but now I've got new questions...

TimC, you recommend using a Sport front with the Road rear (and I hear several of the Michelin guys similarly saying use a Road 2 rear with a Power front). Has anyone actually tried this combination with the Continentals? The fellow who wrote the review I linked to said he'd probably do the same thing, but never actually tested the combo. I'm just too nervous to be a guinea pig :fing02:

That author also advised using a 70 series front instead of the 60 series. Of course, his stock size would have been a 70, whereas mine is a 60...but that's stock on a CBR. I think I remember reading somewhere on this site that people switching to an F2 front end should run a 70s series tire (now I can't find it, of course).

Anybody have experience on this 60/70 tire height issue? Would there be any disadvantage to running the taller tire besides raising the front end slightly?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
Thanks guys! And thanks, veefer...of course I missed the most obvious tire resource. Right on the homepage...who'd of thunk it?!

I'm leaning towards the Contis based on the recommendations here and this review, but now I've got new questions...

TimC, you recommend using a Sport front with the Road rear (and I hear several of the Michelin guys similarly saying use a Road 2 rear with a Power front). Has anyone actually tried this combination with the Continentals? The fellow who wrote the review I linked to said he'd probably do the same thing, but never actually tested the combo. I'm just too nervous to be a guinea pig :blush:

That author also advised using a 70 series front instead of the 60 series. Of course, his stock size would have been a 70, whereas mine is a 60...but that's stock on a CBR. I think I remember reading somewhere on this site that people switching to an F2 front end should run a 70s series tire (now I can't find it, of course).

Anybody have experience on this 60/70 tire height issue? Would there be any disadvantage to running the taller tire besides raising the front end slightly?

Thanks!

I can answer your first question. By mistake I just ordered a brand new Conti Sport Attack for the front. I was in a hurry and not paying attention. :fing02:

I had it installed on Saturday morning and took it up Sandia Crest Road here near Albuquerque. Just imagine about a 4000 ft incline with switchbacks, blind reducing corners, and lots of long drops if you miss your turn. I figured, what the heck...can't be worse then the Road Attack I just had. First off, the Sport Attack is more oval where the Road Attack is round in appearance. After riding for almost 2 hours of twists and elevation changes I could only say I was grinning foolishly and that the combo of Sport front and Road rear works great for my style of riding. I can't compare to the PR2's yet because I haven't tried them but for all the tires I have used in the past the Conti's have been a huge improvement. This includes of the Pirelli Diablos my VFR came with. Traction was never an issue, no sudden turn in due to tire shapes. It was smooth, controlled rolling all the way up and back. On the highway I got more road feedback than the Road Attack but nothing uncomfortable. Just more than I was used to. I can say that it is one mistake I can definitely live with. :huh:

My Road Attack front tire got my 13k miles with my rear tire about half that right now and still tons of tread left. I won't guestimate mileage but will post up when it comes times to replace them (I keep track of all that fun stuff in my maintenance spread sheet). I don't know how long the Sport Attack will last either but if it goes far enough to last the same as the back tire I will be happy and for the price (DennisKirk.com) of $117 shipped in a box to my door I sure ain't complaining. wink.gif

As for tire size? I am running the 70 series but that is the stock size for my 6th gen. I am sure someone will be able to help you out further there.

I can answer your first question. By mistake I just ordered a brand new Conti Sport Attack for the front. I was in a hurry and not paying attention. :rolleyes:

I had it installed on Saturday morning and took it up Sandia Crest Road here near Albuquerque. Just imagine about a 4000 ft incline with switchbacks, blind reducing corners, and lots of long drops if you miss your turn. I figured, what the heck...can't be worse then the Road Attack I just had. First off, the Sport Attack is more oval where the Road Attack is round in appearance. After riding for almost 2 hours of twists and elevation changes I could only say I was grinning foolishly and that the combo of Sport front and Road rear works great for my style of riding. I can't compare to the PR2's yet because I haven't tried them but for all the tires I have used in the past the Conti's have been a huge improvement. This includes of the Pirelli Diablos my VFR came with. Traction was never an issue, no sudden turn in due to tire shapes. It was smooth, controlled rolling all the way up and back. On the highway I got more road feedback than the Road Attack but nothing uncomfortable. Just more than I was used to. I can say that it is one mistake I can definitely live with. :fing02:

My Road Attack front tire got my 13k miles with my rear tire about half that right now and still tons of tread left. I won't guestimate mileage but will post up when it comes times to replace them (I keep track of all that fun stuff in my maintenance spread sheet). I don't know how long the Sport Attack will last either but if it goes far enough to last the same as the back tire I will be happy and for the price (DennisKirk.com) of $117 shipped in a box to my door I sure ain't complaining. wink.gif

As for tire size? I am running the 70 series but that is the stock size for my 6th gen. I am sure someone will be able to help you out further there.

Thanks vanion for getting to the heart of my query. Very useful info...I'll probably go with the Sport front too.

Several people at shops I have talked to recommend not mixing tires.

I`m just about to pull the trigger on PR2s .I was thinking of PP front and PR on the rear .But more people are telling me not a good idea .

I`m just about to pull the trigger on PR2s .I was thinking of PP front and PR on the rear .But more people are telling me not a good idea .

First off, to the people telling you not to mix tires, their idiots! :blush: Really!

I've mixed just about everything from race w/st tire to whatever over the last 100k miles on Viffers alone and am now on my 3rd set of that PP/P Road 2 mix set and it's a fantastic combo for my needs(rippen twisties)! Now I'm sure there are a few rare combos that may negatively effect the bikes handling, but in general running a Sport front with the same brand ST rear will never cause an issue and even mixing brands hasn't cause any concerns 90% of the time.

Basically it's probably best to run tires with similar profiles, but not necessary.

I highly recommend the straight-up Pilot Road 2 set, especially if your coming from stock or other ST tires. The p road 2's actually turn quicker than any stock set so that's usually and instant handling improvement on that level alone. Now for people like me who enjoy using our VFR as a pure sports bike living in the twisties, we enjoy the even quicker turn-in that the Pilot Power front provides. The avg. rider should just run the set of Road 2's IMO, for longevity and excellent grip.

If your on the high end of twisty skill level, I recommend the PP/PR 2 combo. Everyone else should just run a Road 2 set and be very happy. :cool:

First off, to the people telling you not to mix tires, their idiots! :blush: Really!

I've mixed just about everything from race w/st tire to whatever over the last 100k miles on Viffers alone and am now on my 3rd set of that PP/P Road 2 mix set and it's a fantastic combo for my needs(rippen twisties)! Now I'm sure there are a few rare combos that may negatively effect the bikes handling, but in general running a Sport front with the same brand ST rear will never cause an issue and even mixing brands hasn't cause any concerns 90% of the time.

Basically it's probably best to run tires with similar profiles, but not necessary.

I highly recommend the straight-up Pilot Road 2 set, especially if your coming from stock or other ST tires. The p road 2's actually turn quicker than any stock set so that's usually and instant handling improvement on that level alone. Now for people like me who enjoy using our VFR as a pure sports bike living in the twisties, we enjoy the even quicker turn-in that the Pilot Power front provides. The avg. rider should just run the set of Road 2's IMO, for longevity and excellent grip.

If your on the high end of twisty skill level, I recommend the PP/PR 2 combo. Everyone else should just run a Road 2 set and be very happy. :cool:

Now are you using PP 2CT or PP for the front ?

This advice comes from the era when you could actually find different construction tires. Years ago you had to be somewhat careful that you didn't put a radial on one end and bias ply on the other end.

Those days are gone. Performance tires are now exclusively radial in construction. Mix-n-match all you want.

Pilot Power front/ Pilot road 2 rear and love it, the turn in is crisp, grip is excellent and the f&r wear out at about the same rate! :blush:

• Member Contributer

Pilot Power front/ Pilot road 2 rear and love it, the turn in is crisp, grip is excellent and the f&r wear out at about the same rate! :cool:

I agree except I wear out my front much sooner than the rear. But this combo is great for a sure feel through the turns and great traction.

• Member Contributer

Pilot Power front/ Pilot road 2 rear and love it, the turn in is crisp, grip is excellent and the f&r wear out at about the same rate! :cool:

I agree except I wear out my front much sooner than the rear. But this combo is great for a sure feel through the turns and great traction.

That's his point. The Pilot Power wears quicker than a PR2, so those who wear out the rear quicker will find they wear out about the same.

What type of mileage are you getting out of the combination?

• Member Contributer

Pilot Power front/ Pilot road 2 rear and love it, the turn in is crisp, grip is excellent and the f&r wear out at about the same rate! :laugh:

They way they ride? I'm gonna guess about 3-5k miles per set. :cool:

Pilot Power front/ Pilot road 2 rear and love it, the turn in is crisp, grip is excellent and the f&r wear out at about the same rate! :goofy:

That's like asking "what oil"! :cool:

Ride type, style, roads, ability and rider weight will all greatly effect ware rate wildly! You will easily see the mileage range for this tire combo PP/PR2 range from a low of 3k to well over 10k on a VFR so asking any one rider what they get is very subjective. :laugh:

I avg. 3-3.5k a set(and that is the BEST mileage I've ever gotten from any set for how I ride) , your mileage may very! wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Nothing new to add other than I also run this combo. Pilot Power front/Pilot Road 2CT rear.

Archived