New To The Vfr World, With A Few Questions

Guest vfrftw

Question

Guest vfrftw

so i recently traded in my 06 Naked sv650 for an 03 VFR800.. overall i love the bike however now comes the fun part

I want more power.. lol my friend purchased a 2000 vfr with a few mods, but it has tons of miles like 40,000. Mine only has approximately 4200 miles on it, now taking into consideration i have about 150lbs on him.. lol he slowly walks away from mine.

whats some of the fastest and cheapest mods i can do..? As i said im new to the VFR lifestyle, so help me out

can i eliminate the cats? O2's? mod the exhaust? replace the exhaust? power commander? vtec controler?

any help for the noob would be great in the mean time ill be reading other posts...

thanks guys

• Member Contributer
so i recently traded in my 06 Naked sv650 for an 03 VFR800.. overall i love the bike however now comes the fun part

I want more power.. lol my friend purchased a 2000 vfr with a few mods, but it has tons of miles like 40,000. Mine only has approximately 4200 miles on it, now taking into consideration i have about 150lbs on him.. lol he slowly walks away from mine.

whats some of the fastest and cheapest mods i can do..? As i said im new to the VFR lifestyle, so help me out

can i eliminate the cats? O2's? mod the exhaust? replace the exhaust? power commander? vtec controler?

any help for the noob would be great in the mean time ill be reading other posts...

thanks guys

To eliminate the Cat you'll need to get a new set of exhausts, either from a 98 or 99, or a set from Motad or other aftermarket manufacturer.

There are plenty of slip-on exhausts. As well.

O2 eliminators and a Power Commander are also available, but don't provide power themselves, they simply help the bike run more smoothly, and to match your other mods.

There is no VTEC controller.

Aftermarket air filters are available as well.

But,

Catless headers $200-$700.

Slip on Exhaust $500-1,000.

Power Commander $275

Air Filter $60.

You're talking a lot of money for not a huge improvement in power. The best improvement we've seen is 10 horsepower, but even with all of those mods, I would not expect to see that.

Your best bet, I hate to say it, is to lose some weight.

thanks guys

To eliminate the Cat you'll need to get a new set of exhausts, either from a 98 or 99, or a set from Motad or other aftermarket manufacturer.

O2 eliminators and a Power Commander are also available, but don't provide power themselves, they simply help the bike run more smoothly, and to match your other mods.

But,

Power Commander $275

Air Filter $60.

You're talking a lot of money for not a huge improvement in power. The best improvement we've seen is 10 horsepower, but even with all of those mods, I would not expect to see that.

ouch.. FOOD IS GOOD!! lol, i undertsand that, but basically im looking for an inexpensive way to gain some power. i kinda plan to get an exhaust air filter and power commander, but i figured you guys have some tricks up your sleeves..

• Member Contributer

thanks guys

But,

Power Commander $275

Air Filter $60.

ouch.. FOOD IS GOOD!! lol, i undertsand that, but basically im looking for an inexpensive way to gain some power. i kinda plan to get an exhaust air filter and power commander, but i figured you guys have some tricks up your sleeves..

Didn't mean to make it personal! I'm just saying that in general, the best way to make the bike faster is for the rider to lose weight, that's all!

There are plenty of cheap mods, there's even a topic somewhere around here of cheap or lowbuck mods, unfortunately, none of them make the bike go all that much faster.

Your 6th gen has a PAIR valve system which can be removed, but the main advantage is that there is now less stuff to go wrong, not any real power gains.

Same thing for the flapper valve (located on top of your airbox)

Some people remove the air intake snorkel, but there's no evidence that the bike runs a tiny bit better.

Really there's just air filter, catless headers, and a different exhaust. There aren't too many parts on the bike that can be removed to save weight, either. Sure, you could get rid of a few pounds by removing the center stand, the passenger pegs, etc. but then you lose some of the usefullness which is the reason you got a VFR.

Every now and then someone will sell their 98 or 99 Catless headers on here for $200-$300 bucks. Some people even make their own exhausts.

Look around here, there's plenty of great information on all of these.

by the way....

WELCOME!

• Member Contributer
lol he slowly walks away from mine.

whats some of the fastest and cheapest mods i can do..?

Out corner him.

Lose weight.

Change gearing.

thats cool man, i appreciate all your input, I weight approxiamtely 270, so im not like huge or anything, but weightlose is on my list.. lol

im just mad that a 2000 with 40,000 miles pulls on me.. lol

so which step would you suggest i take first.. or you recommend stock

• Member Contributer
thats cool man, i appreciate all your input, I weight approxiamtely 270, so im not like huge or anything, but weightlose is on my list.. lol

His 2000 is a bit lighter than yours, with almost identical horsepower. There is a huge debate on here between which is better, 5th gen (1998-2001) or 6th gen 2002+ with the 5th gen guys being fanatical in bashing the newer models.

The general concensus is... if you want fast, get a CBR1000RR. The VFR is does everything well, it is a jack of all trades, master of none. But a change in gearing will probably let you keep up with him with the only drawback being that you'll be running more RPM's on the highway. By varying the gear ratios between the front and rear sprockets (less teeth in front, more in rear) you can choose how much you want to change the gearing.

As for what mods to do, that is up to you, everyone on here has their own opinion and you should make a bike that is truly yours! My opinion is to add a throttle lock (NEP, Vistalock, or Throttlemeister) for $15, $20, or $100 (in that order) some heated hand grips ($30-$100) ditch the fender ($0-$100) and call it good.

Oh, and if you are running a stock suspension at 270 lbs some stiffer springs up front will really help!!!

its not that i want a fast bike, because obviously going from a sv650 to the vfr is a step itself.. i just wanna beat him.. lol i could otherwise care less..

what is the throttle lock?

• Member Contributer
its not that i want a fast bike, because obviously going from a sv650 to the vfr is a step itself.. i just wanna beat him.. lol i could otherwise care less..

what is the throttle lock?

Throttle lock is a piece of plastic that you can clamp down around the throttle with your right thumb. It allows you to relax your right hand momentarily.

Like I said, everyone mods their bikes differently. I am more touring-oriented than sport oriented, so I do what I can to increase comfort for long travels.

Others will say that mods to bling out a bike are best, or that suspension upgrades are best, or to get rid of the stock tires in favor of some Michelin Pilot Road 2's, or to get rid of the stock mufflers to save weight and make the bike sound better. Plenty of options, it's up to you!

There's some great information on this forum!

As for beating your friend, a change in gearing just might do that. But so could being a better rider than him.

ok i hear you. I dont ride very hard at all, i just like to to have it when i want it.. lol

I would love for it to sound a little deeper.. not sure what exhaust would suit me best, power and sound.. I had a yoshimira tri-oval, k@n, and power commander on the SV650.. thats seemed to wake it up a little.

• Member Contributer

If you want more power from your VFR, the only way to get it, without a big bore kit, (which still yeilds very little) is with a full exhaust system that eliminates the catalytic converter. This will require a power commander with a good custom map as well. I know of only a couple of owners who have done this and it gained them around 8 to 10 horsepower.

I highly recommend gearing. Going up two teeth on the rear sprocket is a subtle change that will improve acceleration without sacrificing any of the bikes highway manners. Going down one tooth in the front will provide a little more thrust than two up on the rear, but you may notice it runs at higher revs when cruseing.

If you do add a power commander, be sure to disconnect the O-2 sensors and install 330 ohm resistors in the leads coming from the engine. Details for this modification can be found on this web site.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Damn Shayne, you're back huh :cool: :biggrin:

Changing sprockets ain't gunna help with his problem, he says the 2000 is walking away from him so by doing the sprocket changes suggested the only thing he'll gain is initial speed, the longer it goes down the road the quicker the 5th gen will become a dot on the horizon.

I'm with Shayne, lose 100 and you'll have a better shot :goofy: :fing02: :fing02:

BTW,, welcome, and don't worry about racing with the VFR, concentrate on being a better rider or get good on Playstation. Both would be preferable :goofy:

His 2000 is a bit lighter than yours, with almost identical horsepower. There is a huge debate on here between which is better, 5th gen (1998-2001) or 6th gen 2002+ with the 5th gen guys being fanatical in bashing the newer models.

The general concensus is... if you want fast, get a CBR1000RR. The VFR is does everything well, it is a jack of all trades, master of none. But a change in gearing will probably let you keep up with him with the only drawback being that you'll be running more RPM's on the highway. By varying the gear ratios between the front and rear sprockets (less teeth in front, more in rear) you can choose how much you want to change the gearing.

As for what mods to do, that is up to you, everyone on here has their own opinion and you should make a bike that is truly yours! My opinion is to add a throttle lock (NEP, Vistalock, or Throttlemeister) for $15, $20, or $100 (in that order) some heated hand grips ($30-$100) ditch the fender ($0-$100) and call it good.

Oh, and if you are running a stock suspension at 270 lbs some stiffer springs up front will really help!!!

:biggrin:

Often overlooked here is the fact that since the speed sensor gets its signal from the front sprocket, sprocket mods for improved acceleration also fast forward both your speedo and odo causing sometimes gross inaccuracy of both. This, of course, piles on mileage quicker than it should, and makes you more susceptible to tickees from revenue generating traffic cops, since you really don't know how fast you are going without a GPS. The fix is a Yellow Box or Speedohealer connected in series with the speed sensor circuit. You can check out their Web sites if you're contemplating this mod.

Once again, the actual bike is the cheap part of motorcycling. :cool:

• Member Contributer

I couldnt resist but I grabed the calculator. --- If the 5th gen weighs 500lbs and the rider weighs say 180lbs = total bike rider wieght 680 lbs. So to make it easy hp = 100, so power to weight = 6.8 pounds per horsepower. The 6th gen just a tick heavier - lets be conservative at 520 lbs. So - 520 lbs + 270 lbs = 790. 790/100 = 7.9 pounds per horse power.

What power then does the 6th have to have to break even with the 5th senario? Lets see... 790 lbs/6.8 = 116 hp.

So unless you go for a supercharger or crack the engine open and do port/polish 3 angle valve job and other tricks, you aint gonna get there.

MD

BTW - this is just a relative calculator thing, dont mean to start a bike weight discussion.

• Member Contributer
What power then does the 6th have to have to break even with the 5th senario? Lets see... 790 lbs/6.8 = 116 hp.

Least cost way to get 116 hp out of the VTEC is a big-bore kit for about $3000 all in.

VTEC, VTEC! I can feel the rush...NOW! Oh, here we go... :cool:

• Member Contributer
I couldnt resist but I grabed the calculator. --- If the 5th gen weighs 500lbs and the rider weighs say 180lbs = total bike rider wieght 680 lbs. So to make it easy hp = 100, so power to weight = 6.8 pounds per horsepower. The 6th gen just a tick heavier - lets be conservative at 520 lbs. So - 520 lbs + 270 lbs = 790. 790/100 = 7.9 pounds per horse power.

So unless you go for a supercharger or crack the engine open and do port/polish 3 angle valve job and other tricks, you aint gonna get there.

MD

BTW - this is just a relative calculator thing, dont mean to start a bike weight discussion.

Oops my bad - I didnt catch the 150 pound difference in rider weight. Do overs -- :biggrin:

270 - 150 = 120 --- aw lets make it 135 ---- 500+135 = 635 - 635/100 = 6.35lbs/hp -- recrunching -- 790 lbs/6.35 = 124.4hp

116 hp - not ----- new number 124.4 hp - whoa - it will take a whole lotta work to hit that one.

MD

Geek Foole :cool:

Torocharger! That someone posted a link to above.

OK, it's not cheap.

What is cheap is a front sprocket with 1 less tooth.

There won't really be more power, but it will feel like it, albeit with a little reduced top speed.

Do you want power where you can use it? Or top speed to get you arrested if you use it on the street? :biggrin:

Oh no! I can't quite make it to 150 MPH anymore! :cool:

• Member Contributer
If you want more power from your VFR, the only way to get it, without a big bore kit, (which still yeilds very little) is with a full exhaust system that eliminates the catalytic converter. This will require a power commander with a good custom map as well. I know of only a couple of owners who have done this and it gained them around 8 to 10 horsepower.

I highly recommend gearing. Going up two teeth on the rear sprocket is a subtle change that will improve acceleration without sacrificing any of the bikes highway manners. Going down one tooth in the front will provide a little more thrust than two up on the rear, but you may notice it runs at higher revs when cruseing.

If you do add a power commander, be sure to disconnect the O-2 sensors and install 330 ohm resistors in the leads coming from the engine. Details for this modification can be found on this web site.

Good luck.

I agree with going up a couple of teeth on the rear. I did this and it pulls far better than before which allows for greater comand of the twisties.

Archived