Fork Seal Tool

y2kvfr

• Member Contributer

I'm about to set new seals in my forks for the '00.

It looks like 1.5" ID Sched 40 PVC will do the trick.

What are you guys using?

How long should I make the pipe? Any special prep to the pipe? (round off edges, clean it, etc)

Thanks

-travis

Along with this...where all can seals be purchased? What is needed besides the upper seal and wiper? How much fluid do they actually hold?

For some reason I don't think the 1 1/2 sched 40 pipe will work....but I forgot why I determined this 3 years ago when I was doing my RaceTech internals. Seems the diameter just wasn't quite right....dunno.

Anyway, I did something similar using a 1 1/2 fitting that had a flange on it for tapping with a hammer. The prep was to:

1. Cut it lengthwise, cuz you don't really need 360 degrees of pipe to tap a seal in place. 180 is fine.

2. Put it on the tube, crank it down tight to the tube with radiator-type stainless hose clamps and hit it hard with a heat gun. Once it cools it will be at the perfect diameter. In my case, it ended up being about 185 degrees of circumference after heat-forming process, so it kinda pops onto the tube and stays there, as you can see in the bottom picture. This was an unintended benefit from the heating/forming work, but it proved to be handy, cuz it just stays put while you're working!

With it popped on to the tube, I used a brass hammer and lightly slid it along the fork tube to whack the "seal tool", thus preventing me from whacking the tube at an angle that could have caused damage.

And...as you can see....it was specially designed for a Y2K bike! :fing02:

SealTool003.jpg

In this shot, you can see the hash marks from the hose clamp at the smaller diameter end.

SealTool002.jpg

SealTool006.jpg

It's popped on to the fork tube and stays there by itself.

SealTool004-1.jpg

Oh wait...I guess it will work on an RC51, too!!

SealTool005.jpg

Make sure you do a nice job taking the burrs off. If one comes off, it can get stuck in your seal and ruin it from the start. Make it long enough to hold in your fist, and personally I would make 2 halves so you can hold both in your fist and bang the seal in by hand.

I use a Motion Pro seal driver. :fing02: Meant for my 43mm vtec forks, but, I found that putting a layer of paper shop towel between it and the fork tube works out well for 41mm tubes also.

• Member Contributer

Well, if my 1.5" sched 40 pipe doesn't work, I'm certain I have fittings kicking around.

I'm just not "tool wealthy" like Seb (yet wink.gif )

Thanks for the idea Trace!

I made mine out of PVC, but can't remember the size either. A standard pipe did not work though. I think it was about 1.5", but then I put an adapter 4-way on it which goes on the oustide of the pipe. This made it bigger and fit the seal better. I also made it long enough to go over the tube and put a cap on it so I can tap it with a hammer and not worry about chipping the PVC. I'll try to remember to take some pictures tonight.

• Member Contributer
Along with this...where all can seals be purchased? What is needed besides the upper seal and wiper? How much fluid do they actually hold?

Judging by the sludge that came out of my forks, not much. I have 2 quarts ready and waiting. Someone suggested 3.

I got my seals at Service Honda.

Here's what I ordered:

PRODUCT INFORMATION:

Mfg Product Number: 51414-KCR-003

Description: BUSH, GUIDE for 2000 Honda VFR800FI

Order Quantity: 2

Unit Price: $8.11

Total Cost: $16.22

Mfg Product Number: 51415-KCR-003

Description: BUSH, SLIDER for 2000 Honda VFR800FI

Unit Price: $6.69

Total Cost: $13.38

Mfg Product Number: 51490-MN8-305

Description: SEAL SET, FR. FORK for 2000 Honda VFR800FI

Unit Price: $18.50

Total Cost: $37.00

Mfg Product Number: 90544-283-000

Description: WASHER (8MM) for 2000 Honda VFR800FI

Unit Price: $1.56

Total Cost: $3.12

Mfg Product Number: 94109-12000

Description: WASHER, DRAIN (12MM) for Honda

Order Quantity: 5

Unit Price: $0.41

Total Cost: $2.05

Note, the drain washers are for the motor oil :fing02:

And from Sonic Springs:

Products

------------------------------------------------------

1 x VFR800 98-01 - 0.90kg/mm Sonic Springs (25S-090) = $79.95

2 x PJ-1 10w Fork Oil, 1 pint (Most bikes will need 2 pints) (PJ-10) = $15.90

------------------------------------------------------

Sub-Total: $95.85

Zone Rates (Shipping to US : 3 lb(s)): $12.00

Total: $107.85

OH NO! I'M NOT USING HONDA BRAND FORK OIL!!! smile.gif

The 5th gen forks can be done with 1 quart of fork oil. I've done it several times and always have a little left.........come to think of it, I have RaceTech springs in there and go off their specs though, not the Honda book. When I had my Superhawk, I did those with one quart and had a little left too (with RaceTech springs).

If you buy the Honda packaged fork oil, you will require 2 of them (I think) because they are not quart size (maybe pint instead??). Don't really know, I usually just buy a quart of Bel-Ray 7wt.

Thanks for the info....not looking forward to this one! I was planning to do this at the tech day in May for us DFW folks...better make sure I have everything I need...I gotta ride it there and home!

• Member Contributer

Not sure if it helps with the VFR but I used a + fitting for installing seals, gives you a little more hammer area to tap it down. :blink:

DSCN1210.jpg

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the info....not looking forward to this one! I was planning to do this at the tech day in May for us DFW folks...better make sure I have everything I need...I gotta ride it there and home!

I originally bought 3 bottles of the Honda stuff with the intention of flushing the forks with part of it. The fourth one was needed when I somehow knocked the fork leg over as I was attempting to fill it and of course slung its contents across the garage. :blink:

Should be doable for the tech day.

• Member Contributer
Not sure if it helps with the VFR but I used a + fitting for installing seals, gives you a little more hammer area to tap it down. :beer:

:blink: What sized fitting is that?

:blink: What sized fitting is that?

But first you gotta know what fork he's working on! As he mentioned, "Not sure if it helps with a VFR...." which I took to mean that the fork in the pic is something else. But the 4-way fitting is kinda cool if it will work. I don't recall any off-the-shelf fitting working on the 5th Gen fork, which is why I had to make my split and heat-formed tool. But, there might be a fitting that's spot-on....dunno.

• Member Contributer

I ended up using just under 2 pints (one for each fork) on my '00.

I did end up using the 1.5" PVC, but cut lengthwise as Trace suggested. If you can create a setup like that pictured above, it'd be a LOT easier than the way I did it.

Bloggage on the forks here.

By the way, what is that stand 'normally' used for?

• Member Contributer

That "stand" looks to be for bicycle service. The clamp would hold the one of the frame tubes and keep the bicycle up at a reasonable working height. The clamp rotates because bicycle frame tubes are not always vertical and I think the one in the photo has a tool shelf also.

The inexpensive repair stands are under $100 and would be OK for holding a motorcycle fork tube. My mountain bike is no lightweight so I use a heavy repair stand ( $100 + ) to make sure I don't bend up the tripod legs. It does not seem to tip over so easy.

Anyway.... that bicycle repair stand is a GREAT idea for keeping the fork in place while working. Since you can adjust the height and the angle it's perfect for fork work! Add a plastic milk crate and you've got it made.

• Member Contributer
That "stand" looks to be for bicycle service.

Yep, it's a Park bicycle stand.

The fork is a 38mm from a KLR.

The fork is a 38mm from a KLR.

Yup....I kinda figgered that a 1 1/2 inch fitting wouldn't work for the 41mm fork. But anyway, neat idea with the bike stand! :fing02: [ I used a large bench vise with padded jaws and worked "horizontally". ]

• Member Contributer
[ I used a large bench vise with padded jaws and worked "horizontally". ]

Well if memory serves you already have a vertical pole in the middle the garage anyway. :blink: :fing02:

Well if memory serves you already have a vertical pole in the middle the garage anyway. :goofy: :blink:

Nope.....it was just a figment of BR's overactive imatination!! As you can see, there is no pole between his legs.... :fing02:

KevNoPole.jpg

Oh...I found a few more pics of my PVC Half Pipe Tool.

Here I am making it, hitting it with the heat gun and cranking down the hose clamp:

Forks014.jpg

And using it.....gently:

Forks017.jpg

Finally remembered to take some pictures of my home made 41 mm seal driver. Looks like I used a 2" PVC pipe with a 1 1/4" slip cross and a cap on the top for hammering. I had to then file it some and make the opening a little bigger on the slip cross, but it wasn't a whole lot. I think I used my die grinder with a rasp bit on it (probably made it 8 or 9 years ago so I don't remember all of the details). I also have a similar one for 38 mm forks. Sorry, no pictures of it in action, but I have used it on several VTR, VFR, & YZF forks.

gallery_1859_4603_410218.jpg

gallery_1859_4603_302570.jpg

gallery_1859_4603_97574.jpg

Archived