Jc Whitney Trunks

Tightwad

I know the Honda/Givi trunks are much better, but I am still interested in feedback from VFR folks on the JCWhitney trunks. I now have a laptop that I have to take to/from work, and I will be retiring my EXL bag. I will keep my custom rack, which places the trunk over the rear seat, as well as looking at a pillion setup also.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/MATTE-BLACK-TRAVE...14603_10111.jcw

http://www.jcwhitney.com/MEDIUM-SIZE-GLOSS...14603_10111.jcw

Any thoughts/advice on them?

• Member Contributer

Any thoughts/advice on them?

Go with the large, I just put mine on last week, I had the medium one on a venture rack(that broke), so I bought the givi rack & Love it. The large one will fit a helmet in it at least, the medium will not. also do a search there was a code to put in as a discount. I paid 88.98 Total 3/11/09.

it fits the monokey rack with a little effort at first.

Good luck

gallery_8073_4155_17531.jpg

original side

gallery_8073_4155_338689.jpg

New Side(upper & mid)

I got somewhat impatient and pulled the trigger....although I found a better deal. I read in the reviews to buy it on sale, so i googled sale prices and on the ADV forum they had instructions for a promo price for the large box.

Originally Posted by pfb

Tim,

Make sure you follow the directions exactly. It seems like it doesn't work, but does. I doubt it changed in the past day. It has been working for over 8 months...

1. Click on this link: here

2. Add the large $85 trunk to the cart. (the wrong price will show)

3. Search for and add the $4.99 bungee net to the cart. Part # bZX272206 (the wrong price still shows for the trunk)

4. Open the cart. Add the free shipping promo code 'frshp50'. (The wrong price still shows for the trunk, but free shipping should show)

5. Checkout. Enter your name address information. Select FedEx expedited shipping. (The wrong price still shows for the trunk)

6. Enter your credit card information. (The wrong price still shows)

7. On the FINAL CONFIRMATION screen before you actually spend your money. Finally, the correct price will show

If you don't follow this process, or expect the price to change before the final confirmation screen, it won't work. Also, if you get to the final screen with the right price and hit the back button on your browser, the price will go back up and you will have to check out all over again to get the right price.

Kind of a pain, but it does work.

I followed the advice to the letter EXCEPT I didn't use the Fed Ex shipping upgrade, which saved me about $5. Total priced shipped to me, with the bungee net(can't have too many of those) was :

Item: 272206 MOTORCYCLE NET BLACK

Quantity: 1 @ Total Price:$5.99 USD

Item: 277022 FLAT BLK L TRUNK W/IRON CROSS LOGO

Quantity: 1 @ Total Price:$47.99 USD

Shipping: STANDARD

Subtotal: $53.98 USD

Shipping: $3.99 USD

Tax: $0.00 USD

Total: $57.97 USD

• Member Contributer

You will not be dissapointed.

I got the same deal and have been using it for a couple of month now with my SWMotech rack.

It's perfect. Fits a ton of stuff and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Quality wise, I have no complaints. Some have reported that hinges come apart, but I think that if you don't try to force it, it will serve you for a long time.

sorry for the self service jacking, but I have a Givi 46L topbox that needs to go if anybody wants a deal not so good as the JC whitney caper.

One my givi is gone, I think I will look into this very same box.

• Member Contributer

I have the large trunk from JC Whitney as well and used it on a 3500 mile trip last fall with excellent results. It is obviously not the heavy duty Givi, but for the money, it can't be beat. It is a little tricky to get the latch completely locked connecting the trunk to the mounting plate, but once it's locked, it isn't going anywhere. The lock/latch for the trunk itself works flawlessly. I rode in rain for a good portion of two days and the trunk was 100% waterproof. I found a Ventura rack in the VFRd classified section and while it was the "Tall" rack, I just cut the big hoop off and capped the stubs with small plastic caps that I found at my local Ace Hardware. Works perfectly. I also modified the trunk itself by following some simple steps offered in the customer feedback section under their trunk description on the JCW website. I removed the large orange section around the middle of the trunk and painted it a Krylon satin black using their paint specifically for plastic items. It is supposed to stick better than their regular paint and has not flaked off yet. ++ :biggrin: I also removed the red plastic lense at the same time and put a strip of white reflective tape around the rear of the trunk as well. You will find that while the trunk appears to have a red reflector on the back, it is just a red lense over a white strip of paper. 100% NON REFLECTIVE!!! In comparisson, when I pull my SUV into the garage, the new reflective tape under the red lense is amazingly bright. Major kudos to whoever made that suggestion on the JCW feedback thread!

gallery_581_512_554699.jpg

Bailey Harbor - Lake Michigan '08

gallery_581_512_665981.jpg

25k @ Peninsula State Park, WI

Glad to hear people have had good luck....I fear it may be exceptionally huge for what I need, but I will be able to have my gear in there. I need to make a new tail rack for Pillion seating, for when the wife wants to ride come summer time and we want to carry a picnic or something. Might also be useful for a longer ride if I want to strap something to the seat.

Maybe a Mod can move this to the Bargain section if that will make it easier for others to find?

Hi,

I've also been thinking about the large trunk myself for the last month.

What rack for this trunk is the best deal? I've read about the Givi's, SWMotech, Venture, etc. Curious what rack people recommend and what they paid for it.

Thanks,

John

• Member Contributer

You'll probably be good with the large - I have a medium, and it won't fit my 15" laptop in a thin laptop case... I'm probably going to pick up a large myself one of these days. Anyone want to trade? wink.gif

Hi,

I've also been thinking about the large trunk myself for the last month.

What rack for this trunk is the best deal? I've read about the Givi's, SWMotech, Venture, etc. Curious what rack people recommend and what they paid for it.

Thanks,

John

I made my own rack I plan to adapt. Others I have seen have used the Givi rack, and the Ventura one....I am sure pretty much all others.

• Member Contributer
Anybody tried the medium box?? Seems like it would work better on the Ventura Rack?

I had that set up, till the tab on the ventura rack broke(it could be welded back) but I bought the GIVI instead & went with the large here is the medium

gallery_8073_3048_428077.jpg

IMG_0134.JPG

I went large because it was cheaper than the medium, and would support a possible long trip this summer (maybe two, fingers crossed!)

• Member Contributer

I've got one that I use to store the Ken's solo rack and hardware. I only use it when I tour. No more commuting. It works fine and shows no sign of breaking even though I constantly slightly over stuff it when in use. I'd definately buy another at that price.

I followed the advice to the letter EXCEPT I didn't use the Fed Ex shipping upgrade, which saved me about $5. Total priced shipped to me, with the bungee net(can't have too many of those) was :

Geez, I sure wish you could have posted that nice little find about two weeks earlier.

Oh well, I got my JCW trunk two days before you posted this. I am pleased at the the build quaility. So far, all I have done with it is haul a twelve of Bitburger to my parents and back. It worked well for that on Ken's Solo Rack. Quality seems to be more than I expected for the price (even my inflated payment).

I also removed the red plastic lense at the same time and put a strip of white reflective tape around the rear of the trunk as well. You will find that while the trunk appears to have a red reflector on the back, it is just a red lense over a white strip of paper. 100% NON REFLECTIVE!!! In comparisson, when I pull my SUV into the garage, the new reflective tape under the red lense is amazingly bright. Major kudos to whoever made that suggestion on the JCW feedback thread!

Great advice. A 2" wide strip of 3M Solas under the red lens IS "amazingly bright".

This is a must do mod for anyone who purchases the JCW trunk.

• Member Contributer
I got somewhat impatient and pulled the trigger....although I found a better deal. I read in the reviews to buy it on sale, so i googled sale prices and on the ADV forum they had instructions for a promo price for the large box.
Originally Posted by pfb

Tim,

Make sure you follow the directions exactly. It seems like it doesn't work, but does. I doubt it changed in the past day. It has been working for over 8 months...

3. Search for and add the $4.99 bungee net to the cart. Part # bZX272206 (the wrong price still shows for the trunk)

4. Open the cart. Add the free shipping promo code 'frshp50'. (The wrong price still shows for the trunk, but free shipping should show)

5. Checkout. Enter your name address information. Select FedEx expedited shipping. (The wrong price still shows for the trunk)

7. On the FINAL CONFIRMATION screen before you actually spend your money. Finally, the correct price will show

If you don't follow this process, or expect the price to change before the final confirmation screen, it won't work. Also, if you get to the final screen with the right price and hit the back button on your browser, the price will go back up and you will have to check out all over again to get the right price.

Tightwad; I tried the same method today, April 5, and it did not work! They still tried to charge me $85 for the trunk. :fing02:

Anybody else out there try this recently and got it to work?? Let me know. I am ready to buy at $54 but for $99, I may look at a spending some more for Givi or CooCase.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

You get what you pay for. The cheap boxes do the job, but they do not look as good or last as long. I have had the JC Whitney box for 1.5 years (7000 miles). The ties that hold the lid broke on the first day, one of the hinges broke a few months later, then the reflector fell off, and finally the lock mechanism fell apart rendering the box unusable. By that time the red plastic part has faded to a nasty shade of pink.

I replaced the box with an entry-level Givi E45NJ ($150). Seems to be a much better investment so far.

Originally Posted by pfb

Tim,

Tightwad; I tried the same method today, April 5, and it did not work! They still tried to charge me $85 for the trunk. :laugh:

Anybody else out there try this recently and got it to work?? Let me know. I am ready to buy at $54 but for $99, I may look at a spending some more for Givi or CooCase.

Thanks

Did you go all the way to the end? It is on the final confirmation page that the price changes....and you have to buy the cargo net or similar...not sure what else qualifies there, but I like the cargo nets enough to want a second. I don't know of this being disabled recently, I just did it.

• Member Contributer

Did you go all the way to the end? It is on the final confirmation page that the price changes....and you have to buy the cargo net or similar...not sure what else qualifies there, but I like the cargo nets enough to want a second. I don't know of this being disabled recently, I just did it.

I got to the screen that has the "PURCHASE" button after entering all of my information & credit card number. Is that the final screen or is there "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO PURCHASE" screen after that?

Thanks for the help.

I've been thinking about this one forever, I've got a medium sized Givi as my topcase at the moment on a Givi metal rack. Works great, but I'm tired of my hard luggage.

Anyone used these as sidecases? Think it would be a pain with the locking and unlocking release mechanism when mounted as a side case and full of items?

Possibly mounted something like these. Thoughts please!

http://will.sitch.org/fun/vehicles/motorcycles/

vfr800i__front__600_450.jpg

vfr800i__left_side__600_354.jpg

vfr800i__front_left__600_450.jpg

I got to the screen that has the "PURCHASE" button after entering all of my information & credit card number. Is that the final screen or is there "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO PURCHASE" screen after that?

Thanks for the help.

I didn't notice my original instruction post didn't have the actual link. use this link: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?...p;sku=zxe20997G

Check out the slideshow for step by step pictures:

th_JCWTrunkstep1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have bought all three, two med for sides and a large for top. I am making a custom 1/2" steel tube frame and my mock-up shows it ez to remove and replace the cases loaded. I put reflective tape under the clear red band, replaced the locks with keyed alike locks from Ace Hardware, and glued in a thin strip of tubular weather strip (Home Depot). My hinges look ok, but I would easily put on some small stainless ones. I have de-reflectored and de-ornamented. The boxes are molded ABS and are sturdy. I am painting them with the same PPG catalyzed paint as the bike is being painted with soon. I think they are a steal if you are McGuyver inclined as I hoplessly seem to be. If I ever get done, I'll post up photos.

PS: Harbor freight has got a great 1/2"-7/8" tubing bender now, plus they are re-supplied with the steel tire/wheel spin balancer(plus VFR wheel adapter 16.00)....both about 60.00 and well made.

• Member Contributer
JCWhitney has a deal if you add the letter E between the 2nd and 3rd digit of a part number it reduces the price to a sale price. Example is below for this trunk which is identical.

Part: ZX277021 Price $64.99

Part ZXE277021 Price $44.99

FYI, this is a pretty nifty way to browse around on their website and find sale prices. I picked up an inexpensive rain suit and got $4 off a $27 item. I used the rain suit as my filler to trigger the trunk deal as described in this thread. Large trunk and a 2 piece rain suit for $75 shipped is a pretty good deal.

Gonne post up the "E" thing in bargain finder as that's good info IMO.

Mals

Archived