What Do You Use For Communication

Guest itwrx

This has been awesome info! I just ordered a set of the Q2. Ill do a follow up write up as soon as I get them installed and get some use out of them.

I think I made the best choice. I like how both units are equal in capabilities. That way when she gets her own bike we are set. Also they look as though they are easily swapped between helmets. That way I can install it in a friends helmet when we go on long rides. My brothers had a set of chatterbox units but couldn't hear each other unless they were standing within 2ft of each other. Now that was using older models I hear the new ones are better but from what I have heard still not very good. The autocom units are by far the most adaptable to any of your audio needs but come with a mess of wiring and cables. And don't forget about the $$$$. My brother just installed a autocom system but is about $1800 in to it. That's way too much money and that was only one bike one helmet.

Thanks for great response! I really like the idea of using a throat mic. I wonder if I can adapt one to the Q2? :angry:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bike to bike - while you can connect up to 3 headsets you have a master and 2 slaves. The slaves can only talk to the master and not to each other. Also we have had poor luck with getting this to work well when there are 3 of us. When only 2 it works pretty good

This is not so with the multi set. you simply have to press the mc button to toggle between the primary and seconday pairing, and they have to do the same. All three can talk to whoever they want just not at the same time.

• Member Contributer

Can you use headphones instead of the included helmet speakers? I have had previous hearing damage and now have Big Ear ear plugs with headphones installed (I know that isn't the correct terminology but forgive me WERA803) and I would like to have a system that I can plug those into instead of the supplied speakers. Also, from what I'm reading the bluetooth doesn't link up with Garmin GPS units (like my Zumo). Any truth to these rumors or should I visit Snopes.com? :angry:

• Member Contributer
I vote this post best post evar. :biggrin: I lol'd three times at least and answered some questions i had about these units.

Anyone have any pics of their comm setup?

Anyone have this one? Chetterbox full face comm

Or this one? Scala Q2 comm

Are the intercom and communicators the same thing?

Regarding the Scala Rider Q2, there's really nothing to look at. It's all on and in the helmet, other than plugging in an MP3 if desired. The website shows it all.

• Member Contributer

My links arent working. :blush: Has anyone tryed the Chatterbox Xbi setup? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chatterbox-...bayphotohosting

Looks like the Q2 setup.Im worried about the little speakers the Q2 has but i'll take everyones word they're loud enough.Im a bit worried about the size of the mic with the Q2 as well because i have a Shoei RF1000 and the chin bar is pretty close to my face.

• Member Contributer

$1800.00 WOW! Which Autocom did he get? I have the Previously named Active 7 Sport and I have My GPS, XM Radio, Bike to Bike transceiver, iPod and Rider to Passenger all hooked up at the same time...I have never been fast enough where I could not hear the unit (bike topped out), nor far enough away from another bike so we lost reception (well over two miles apart) and the only hook up is a single cable running to my helmet. It really is very simple. As far as the unit itself goes the cables are not really a hassle. Power to the unit (if bike powered) and a lead to each thing you plug in. Everything I have is permanently hooked up and the leads run under the seat and gas tank so there really is nothing to see really. I can also choose to use the helmet speakers or use earplug speakers whichever, and whenever I want. VOX really is a PITA though the push to talk switch is really much better.

As soon as I get my new Zumo 550 my installation will be even simpler. Autocom now makes a Bluetooth adapter for those items too...I don't have it because I don't need my cell phone when I'm actually riding the bike.

Oh and the total cost of my unit bought new and installed professionally three years ago was $750.00. Pricey yes, but it has never failed to work regardless of weather and always works as advertised...

• Member Contributer

I had a Chatterbox system. It worked fairly well, for a few months, but by the end of the first season it was disintegrating, and there weren't any replacement parts available. I had to solder a lot of broken connections just to get it through the first season, and by the second season the mic was beyond saving; my Chatterbox became listen-only.

Replaced it with an Autocom and have been so happy with it that I have bought additional Autocoms for my other motorcycles. The Autocom is more complex to set up, but it's solid and it just plain works. My original Autocom is still going strong, and I haven't had to get out my soldering iron at all. I have non of the quirks I had with the Chatterbox, and the sound quality is a lot better. I wear earplugs all the time and the Autocom works fine with them. (Chatterbox worked fine with earplugs too.)

I use mine to listen to music, communicate with passenger, and communicate with others via CB or FRS. I use the CB when I'm traveling solo, to listen in on the truckers and find out what's going on up the road. I use the FRS when riding with other riders who have FRS.

I don't want to talk on the phone while riding and I don't have GPS or a radar detector, so I have not tried those features, though the Autocom does have them.

One thing I have had to do with both the Autocom and the Chatterbox, is include a line amp to boost the MP3 volume. Personal stereos don't pump out enough volume to balance with CB and FRS radios.

I don't mind having a headset lead to connect to the bike. Any wireless option is going to need a lot of batteries to run all day. I don't want those batteries attached to my helmet or body, and I don't want to have to remember to charge them.

The newer Autocom I have is the Active-Rider. It is on sale on the Autocom USA site for $199, right now. That's a single headset kit - you'd have to pay extra for a passenger headset and a transceiver lead. Autocoms have gotten a lot cheaper since I bought the first one, six years ago. If you have been avoiding them because they are so darned spendy, might be worth looking again.

• Member Contributer
My links arent working. :biggrin: Has anyone tryed the Chatterbox Xbi setup? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chatterbox-...bayphotohosting

Looks like the Q2 setup.Im worried about the little speakers the Q2 has but i'll take everyones word they're loud enough.Im a bit worried about the size of the mic with the Q2 as well because i have a Shoei RF1000 and the chin bar is pretty close to my face.

I've got a Caberg flip-up (modular) helmet. It's a bit of a squeeze with the MIC. The MIC foam cover sits lightly against my lips when the helmet is closed. I thought this would be bothersome, but it hasn't been so far. I can push it down right below my lips, too. Not sure I'll like it when the sweat starts pouring down my face this summer, though. But the little foam MIC covers are cheap to replace, so no biggie.

• Member Contributer

i use sign language :P

which does include the midle and all the rest of my fingers..

i also use my voice to scream "MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

loud enough to scare the crap out of harley riders

• Member Contributer

I use the original q2 without the ipod jack, zumo 550, and my cell phone. I play music off of the sd card in the zumo or listen to fm which isn't so bad. I also have an FM modulator for my ipod but I don't use that anymore. It is cool but the reception suffered in some areas when local stations interfered.

wish list....

a way to pipe my radar detector through my zumo

stereo reception, fm and otherwise

louder at speed.

that's about it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

AKE Electronics makes products similar to Autocom and I use their blue tooth headset (Bluetooth Helmet Set 101)

to be able to answer phone calls when riding.

The headset allows me to answer a call without slowing down and taking my helmet off.

I've tested it at speeds up to about 80 mph and it works great. Normally the other person can't really tell that I'm on my bike.

Of course, as soon as I answer the call I tell the caller that I'm busy and will call back when I get a chance to pull over.

Security first!

If paired with a Zumo (and possibly other GPS units) one would also be able to make calls.

I am planning to get another headset for my girlfriend and either their "Bluetooth Pocket repeater" or the "Innova" hub.

This will allow us both to talk to each other, receive/make phone calls, listen to music, get GPS directions etc without using any wires at all!

When riding with my buddy we simply use hand signals.

We tried some cheaper PMR's (radios), but the mess with cables and limited range made us finally give up.

I would have gone further up in quality and price (Autocom, AKE etc.), but my buddy does not have the same financial situation...

/Faceplant

• Member Contributer

I've been using the Scala Rider Q2 Multiset for about a week or so now. It works exactly as advertized, and I'm very pleased.

Even the FM radio works great, though on a longer distance ride as a station fades, I have to scan for another, and if a tune comes on I don't like, I have to scan again. I got tired of that and set it to five presets, and just switch from one to the other occasionally. It's OK if I'm just riding locally.

Seems like a potentially unsafe habit to get into, though. All that scanning and switching detracts from concentrating on the task at hand, which is staying alive.

I'm going to get an iPOD (or maybe just use the MP3 feature on my Garmin GPS) so I can listen to only what I want, and I'm also going to hook up my Sirius radio for some unterrupted long-range touring. I think that would be a safer way to go.

Ive had a chatterbox frs x2, scalarider teamset, and currently am running an autocom active plus duo. IMHO none of the other units compare to how seamless, efficient and effective the autocom is. The noise canceling IMO is far superior to the other two units and the sound quality both on my end and the recieving end is top notch. The chatterbox was simple and easy to use but I couldnt stand having it mounted to my helmet so I had it hooked to the outside of my tank bag thus I still had to deal with a bunch of wires, and whenever I used my cell phone I got this incessant buzzing noise. The scala was good for around town but anything above 55mph and the wind noise made listening to music or talking on the phone nearly impossible even with earplugs, also, after riding through a good rainstorm the unit stopped working. The autocom is so customizable that it can get a bit confusing, and it can be frustrating to get everything dialed in to work properly at first, but once its there, its there, no fussing around. And as long as you have a good system to store the autocom (I prefer a small tank bag dedicated to my com unit and other accessories) its just a matter of throwing the tank bag on the bike, pluging in the headset and riding away, whats an extra 30 seconds to have a superior setup. Plus I got my autocom duo (rider and pasanger headsets) brand new off ebay for $165usd. Deals are out there.

• Member Contributer

I've been looking at the wireless headset solutions available today, and one unit I haven't seen anyone mention is the IMC/Camos BTS 300. It's similar to the Scala Rider Q2. Pro's: A2DP stereo sound is supported, intercom has its own dedicated channel. Awesome add-on available to link to GPRS/FRS radios. Con's: no headphone jack or FM radio support, only 2 simultaneous bluetooth devices can be connected.

My particular situation sucks. I have a Garmin 2720 (why oh why didn't I buy the 2820!) and an iPhone 3G w/ iJet remote control (no music via bluetooth, no A2DP support). I need 3 simultaneous connections. Intercom is a bonus to me; the only time I'd ever use it is at VFRD events.

The BTS 300 won't work for me until the iPhone supports a2dp because of the 2 device limitation. Or I could replace my Garmin 2720 with a bluetooth model and run my phone calls through the GPS. Lotsa money to replace a perfectly good GPS!

The Scala Rider Q2 won't work for me no matter how I hook it up:

1: Hard-wire my iPhone for music, bluetooth my phone calls, and FM transmit my GPS. Trouble is that FM transmitter is last on the interrupt priority list, so I won't hear GPS directions if I'm listening to music. Also the Q2 doesn't let you control or boost the line-in volume, which is abnormally quiet due to my iJet remote. Worst, the iPhone would have to be in my jacket where I couldn't provide it power, and the battery life is less than ideal.

2: Run audio from both my iphone and gps to one FM transmitter. Trouble is the volume out on my iPhone+iJet is too low and the background noise of the GPS overpowers the music.

... Plus the Scala Q2 doesn't support A2DP so it won't take advantage of bluetooth audio adapters or future devices using the standard. sad.gif

The Parrot SK4000 is on my radar but I haven't found how many simultaneous bluetooth devices it can support. It probably does 2 or more. Anyone here with the Parrot know the answer?

Thanks,

-Laird

• 11 months later...

hello

I have experienced scala Q2 and blueant F4. me and my friend both were interested in buying bike-bike communication devices. I went for scala, while my friend for blueant.

And I am happy with my decision, because the voice quality of interphone f4 at high speed sucks. the quality of their conversation above 60 km is not good. and when he went to return the product, blueant were a nightmare to deal with. I would not recommend it to any one.

• Member Contributer

I just picked up a Scala Q2 Teamset so I can talk to my fiance on the back. It will also work bike to bike. I haven't used it on the bike yet, but I tested it out at home and it seems nice and easy to use. I even paired mine w/my Zumo 550 so I can hear the voice prompts, and listen to music and even make phone calls if I want. I can't wait for the weather to hit the 50's so I can test it out. (She won't ride below 50. I will, though, thanks to heated gear.) A guy I work with (he rides a Triumph Sprint 955, but I don't hold it against him) is thinking about picking up a single Q2 so we can talk when we ride.

@ clay

my friend is facing the same problem with blueant f4. he told me that the voice quality is pretty bad. he advised me to Try a can and a string – it would work bette :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Did I mention that Chatterbox connects your passenger through the same headset easier and faster than the AutoCom system?

I agree that my autocom is sometimes a pain in the neck... the cables and then the headphone wires... and plug in the helmet and run through the jacket, plug in the bike. But for listening to music there is no other system as far as I know that allows use of your own earbuds. helmet speakers aren't even in the same ball park for sound. not even in the same galaxy. I'm not talking ipod style buds, though. Those suck. I'm talking about the little rubber whizzers that fit comfortably in your outer ear canal.

Sony's fontopia.

http://www.urban75.org/tech/images/sony-fontopia-mdr-ex71SLlg2.jpg

not expensive either. very rich sound.

Autocom itself, though... very expensive. The price for music on the bike.

• Member Contributer

How do I communicate??? first I point to my eye... next I point to my knee and finally I point to the tank... EYE KNEE GAS... mercy what else do you need???

1089122064_25bb1d7ab5_b.jpg

I have the Blue ant interphone system and have been told the scala system is much better.

The blueant disconnects from the Missus when she gets more than 400m behind and it doesn't reconnect apparently the scala system will still reconnect and battery life lasts a hell of a lot longer.

Get the scala.

• Member Contributer

Scala just came out with their Q4, its will talk to 4 Bluetooth units at the same time. Plus has built in FM radio and bike to bike and driver to passanger 3 way comm system. Been some reports over at the Zumo Forum and everyone seems very happy with it. Around $350us a pair is the reported price. $500can for us in the great white north.

• Member Contributer

The Q4 looks very promising, being able to talk to many headsets and has stereo bluetooth. But I couldn't justify the cost. I got a good deal on the Q2 teamset and will live with mono bluetooth. I'm not sure how often I'll listen to music anyway.

I used it for the first time today with my Zumo 550. It works pretty well. It was very easy to setup, just pair the phone with the Zumo (if you want) and then pair the Q2 with the Zumo. I can hear the GPS prompts through it, make phone calls, and talk to my fiance on the back. I haven't done the latter yet because she's waiting on a new helmet before joining me for a ride again. But I used it today with the GPS and with the phone and it works pretty well.

The best thing is it's completely wireless, just bluetooth. If you really want to listen to stereo music, you can plug in a iPod or other MP3 player directly into the headset. Then you have 1 wire to deal with, that's it.

• Member Contributer

Picked up a set of Chatterbox FRS's last year. Got to take them out once or twice, but never got to perfect the VOX and my volume control was a little funky - kept feeding back, etc. Got them cheap used. And, I think mine needs a new battery too.

Will give them another shot and hopefully get them dialed in before the next trip up north. So far, not happy with them at all.

Archived