What Do You Use For Communication

Guest itwrx

Scala rider Q2

Has any one used this system?

I like the fact that it has a port for ipod, XM radio or anything with a headphone jack.

Any reviews out there? Is there a better system for the $$$

I can find this system on ebay for 265.00 not too bad

Or what do you use and how much do you like yours and pros and cons.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I don't know where I would put that big microphone ball in my full faced helmet?? I had a Chatterbox that worked really well, up to a 2 mile range. Sold it on ebay though, no one to talk to after a friend moved away!

• Member Contributer

My kids bought me the Q2 team to keep in touch with me while I ride. I have a Ipod Nano that I hook up and it has a decent FM radio built in. I've had no problems with it and am told you can't tell I'm on the bike when answering the phone. Bluetooth is seamless and had no problem following the directions for synch. Controls are easy to master even with gloves.

I like it!!

Muff

• Member Contributer

I have a Scala Rider kit for my cell and it works well when going under 65 mph but at higher speeds and windy days I can't hear much. Like muffer said though, the noise canceling function works great as someone on the other end can't tell I am on a bike. I have pretty much stopped using mine though because I don't really want to be talking on the phone with anyone when on two wheels. Takes away from the "escape" factor as well as concentration on idiot cagers. wink.gif

I have seriously contemplated this for 2 up comms but we have a good system of shoulder taps for "stop, I have to pee again", death grip for "slow down", and helmet slap for "don't do that again!". Seems to work pretty well so far. :fing02:

I've used the Sacal Rider Q2 for almost a year, with no problems. The bike to bike works shockingly well, almost no effort involved in use, sound is great. Thinking of adding a new boom in order to hook up by Ipod. I have yet to use up the batterys.

Great product!

• Member Contributer

Autocom.

Nothing else is as good, because they will allow you to do anything you want and they always work...JMO.

Autocom.

Nothing else is as good, because they will allow you to do anything you want and they always work...JMO.

I laugh every time my riding buddy hooks up his Autocom.

Yeah, I guess you can hook a lot of stuff to it... But what a pain in the A$$ that thing is.

His only justification is that he can use his fitted ear plugs/ speakers.

I use the Chatterbox X1. And have done so with this one for about five years with no issues.

Chatterbox replaced my original X1 prior to this on whe nthe Noise reduction came out. - They did it at NO Charge.

There was a group of us that started with Chatterbox in the mid nineties. Those units worked well but the range was short.

The X1 will do anything that most people would ever try to configure the Autocom to do with much, MUCH less hassle.

Also with the Chatterbox on your helmet, you just put the hemet on and ride.

There are no extra connections. No wires connecting you to the bike or a tank bag.

I think Autocom users are tring to compensate for something.

If you like riding, communicating with your riding buddies and listening to any MP3 or AUX... Chatterbox is the only way to go.

• Member Contributer

I've used a Sacal Rider unit for the last 3 years now, works great, just wear ear plugs, the mic is not an issue, you may have to play with the location of it until you find a spot that is just right for you. I use it on my snowmobile as well can hear just fine over the 2 stroke :biggrin:

• Forum CEO

I installed an autcom unit a year ago and am happy with it, though the wires are a mess to deal with I think it was the best system for me. Even when nobody I ride with uses a radio but I found it usefull in that I get my radar beeps piped through it, the gps talks to me where to turn so I dont miss a turn in a congested area. I am looking for the street sign instead of looking at the gps. I can also ride as fast as I want and it can set the vox to the correct setting to remove the wind noise. I rode with a couple of times 2 up and my pillion could hear me when I told her I was going to stop or speed up for something, to hold on. She didnt talk much to me cause she was too busy trying to deal with how fast I was riding. I don't think she was aware I could hear here doing her gut grunts when I leaned it over father than she thought it could go - HEH that was funny as hell. For me it was going slow - I mean slow!~ way slower than I usually ride anyway. But on the straits I would get it up to 80 plus and she said she could hear me telling her I was speeding up and hold on.

I heard her say she had to pee so I pulled over at a gas station and she said " I was just *thinking* I had to pee and you pulled over - thank God". She was talking to herself but I heard her say it! Heh when she came back I said "I can hear everything you say"? You can hear me right? Yea! She was wearing earplugs with the system and she could hear me anyway. It was the only time I used the autocom 2 up and it worked great.

I installed an autcom unit a year ago and am happy with it, though the wires are a mess to deal with I think it was the best system for me. Even when nobody I ride with uses a radio but I found it usefull in that I get my radar beeps piped through it, the gps talks to me where to turn so I dont miss a turn in a congested area. I am looking for the street sign instead of looking at the gps. I can also ride as fast as I want and it can set the vox to the correct setting to remove the wind noise. I rode with a couple of times 2 up and my pillion could hear me when I told her I was going to stop or speed up for something, to hold on. She didnt talk much to me cause she was too busy trying to deal with how fast I was riding. I don't think she was aware I could hear here doing her gut grunts when I leaned it over father than she thought it could go - HEH that was funny as hell. For me it was going slow - I mean slow!~ way slower than I usually ride anyway. But on the straits I would get it up to 80 plus and she said she could hear me telling her I was speeding up and hold on.

I heard her say she had to pee so I pulled over at a gas station and she said " I was just *thinking* I had to pee and you pulled over - thank God". She was talking to herself but I heard her say it! Heh when she came back I said "I can hear everything you say"? You can hear me right? Yea! She was wearing earplugs with the system and she could hear me anyway. It was the only time I used the autocom 2 up and it worked great.

Am I the only one who burst out laughing reading this?? I've got a couple passengers who I'd like to be able to eavesdrop on. I know one of them tends to curse at me for various things, but she denies it all. Why can't there be a half decent com system for $50...

I've used the Autocom for the past 3 years to communicate with swmbo as pillion & have loved it. Then she decided that after 35 years it was about time she should get her own ride.

Trouble is she had to get her bike license first. We got a set of Scala Rider Q2 so I could insttruct from behind. They are excellent with an unreal range bike to bike & even work well with the Ety's plugged into the iPod. Have to turn the volume of the Scala's up a fair bit to overcome the Ety's & the music but still legible discussions at road legal speeds. They work up to 100 metres no probs.

The lack of hard wired leads is a so nice. Have now removed the the Autocom as we just don't use it anymore even when she rides pillion now.

PS The lovely lady just passed her license test & bought a new Ninja 250R to celebrate .... I love it! :biggrin:

Dave

I have used the Scala Q2 multiset since my trip to Kentucky last year. The three of us that made the trip loved them, they worked seemlessly. The only issue I have is that at highway speeds and with a head wind it is sometimes hard for me to hear, however I do have documented hearing loss of low tones. My two riding partners have never complained about the volume being an issue. I would say that for the money they are hard to beat and I like that there are no wires connecting you to the bike. Another feature I like is that they automatically reestablish the Bluetooth link if you should drop out of range then join back up. I would say go for it....

• Member Contributer
I have used the Scala Q2 multiset since my trip to Kentucky last year. The three of us that made the trip loved them, they worked seemlessly. The only issue I have is that at highway speeds and with a head wind it is sometimes hard for me to hear, however I do have documented hearing loss of low tones. My two riding partners have never complained about the volume being an issue. I would say that for the money they are hard to beat and I like that there are no wires connecting you to the bike. Another feature I like is that they automatically reestablish the Bluetooth link if you should drop out of range then join back up. I would say go for it....

AND they have a built-in FM radio with presets, AND an MP3 stereo jack, AND they can be paired with your Blue Tooth GPS and Blue Tooth cell phone either separately, or the phone to the GPS and the GPS to the headset, AND you can add a third rider, AND...

Well thought out devices that work very well. I got the Scala Rider Q2 Multiset (two complete units, already paired and ready to go) at the NYC bike show for $300.00 (MSRP is $400.00). I believe you can do the same on eBay or Amazon. VERY happy with it so far. It will get the big test the end of June on my 5,000 mile jaunt.

• Member Contributer
"What Do You Use For Communication"

My middle finger!!! :dry:

:laugh:

Actually I tried ChatterBox's best units and they Sucked IMO! :mad:

Whew... glad to see that post... I thought it was just me you didn't like

Muff

Scala rider Q2

Has any one used this system?

I like the fact that it has a port for ipod, XM radio or anything with a headphone jack.

Any reviews out there? Is there a better system for the $$$

I can find this system on ebay for 265.00 not too bad

Or what do you use and how much do you like yours and pros and cons.

Myself and a couple of friends have the Q2's.

Likes - the bluetooth to my phone works perfectly and the volume is good. Even with ear plugs I can chat up to 80mph.

Radio - a little bit of a pain to program at first but once you have your 6 favorite stations set flipping between them is easy. I do not recommend trying to tune while driving.

A couple of dislikes:

no A2DP support - They have somewhat fixed this by adding the mp3 port but with this you can only control the volume from the MP3 player and not the headset. Also I wear ear plugs and I can hear the radio fine but can not hear MP3's once I get over 65mph. I have tried 3 MP3 players.

Bike to bike - while you can connect up to 3 headsets you have a master and 2 slaves. The slaves can only talk to the master and not to each other. Also we have had poor luck with getting this to work well when there are 3 of us. When only 2 it works pretty good.

Range - poor for me. We ride in groups and can be spread out 500+ feet and we lose connection or it becomes very static filled.

For these reasons my friends and I are switching over to the Chatterbox X1 bluetooth's

• Member Contributer

I have a Q2 that my pillion and I use to communicate.

Negatives: radio is pretty useless, I've found. Speakers could stand to be a bit stronger, as they're tough to hear above 70 or so. Mic windsock is a bit big, I trimmed mine down and it was still kind of rubbing my lip/chin. I've gotten used to it, though.

Pros: Just about everything else. Seamless, easy communication with the pillion, and on the phone. People I'm talking to can't tell I'm riding even if I'm doing 90... but as noted above, I have a hell of a time hearing them at that speed. Great battery life. Voice-activation works well. Haven't tested the range yet, but the reason I went with the Q2 is because she's planning on getting her own bike at some point and we wanted to be able to use the same comm system. I got mine off ebay for $300. Well worth it, I think. :angry:

• Member Contributer

I vote this post best post evar. :biggrin: I lol'd three times at least and answered some questions i had about these units.

Anyone have any pics of their comm setup?

Anyone have this one? Chetterbox full face comm

Or this one? Scala Q2 comm

Are the intercom and communicators the same thing?

I've got a Starcom1 Advance with full rider & passenger cables, Kenwood 2-way radio cable, etc. Scored it real cheap off of eBay ($235).

Unfortunately it's still sitting in my office since my bike has been at the dealer for a month sad.gif.

I think the best comm for the money is a set of Midland GMS/FRS Radios and the matching helmet set. I used these with a friend and fellow riders and work great up to about a mile. I can still use my earphones for my tunes and hear the comm thru the helmet speakers and all for under $100.00 . Helmet set comes with push to talk and can even install regular AA batteries in a pinch.

gxt850.jpg

AVPH2_Large.jpg

• Member Contributer

Bought a set of the chatterbox X2s and am more or less disappointed. The volume isn't loud enough, the earpieces aren't very comfy, and the microphone doesn't stick very well. Perhaps the new ones are better. They certainly shrunk in size. Probably a 1/4 of the size of the old ones. If I had mine mounted on my helmet, it would sometimes get caught on my jacket collar when I turned my head. Ended up getting the extension cable and keeping it in my side bags.

I did try using a Firefox Vanquish throat mic once with a friend. Once I found the right spot, it worked amazingly well. Justed used a cheap set of talkabouts. Wasn't uncomfortable either. And no wind noise.

• Member Contributer
"What Do You Use For Communication"

My middle finger!!! :laugh:

:angry:

Figures BR beat me to it!!! :fing02:

Archived