Mesh Gear

Guest JJbigbird

I wasted a whole bunch of money on gear as I re-entered riding in 99. :blush:

I bought cheap Textile & Mesh gear at first, but as I got better and increased speed I realized I needed better and better gear. I must have gone through 6-8 jackets and several types of pants before finally realizing that I needed Leather. I run almost nothing but leather gear now from 20 deg. winter to 100 deg. summer (humid south)! If it's wet I just through rain gear over the leather. I have two sets(2 piece) now, one solid and one perforated and as long as your moving the perforated is good to 100 degs easy here in the humid South. I have also upgraded every piece of armor in each set above anything they came with, no matter the cost you just can Not have too much/too good of gear on in the event of a crash!

I've not really had a street crash, but I have low sided my track bike at 55 mph, 70 mph and 87 mph and walked away unscathed each time (luckily). But again on a track you usually don't have to worry about sliding into something solid like on the street and no matter what gear you have on, hitting something solid at a high rate of speed will most likely kill you. Wearing the best gear out there can for sure help lower the severity of your injuries if you do crash and that is worth every cent IMO.

I recommend leather as your first choice and if you set that as your goal you'll actually save a bunch of money but not buying all those in between outfits. :blush:

Mesh is mostly worthless and if you happened to go down wearing it and it worked you were one of a very lucky few IMO! :huh:

Textile is a huge step over Mesh, but there is still No replacement for the abrasion resistance of leather.!

:laugh:

BTW I have to closets full of m/c gear (non-leather) if anyone's wants to buy some! wink.gif

Yeah I regretted buying the mesh jacket as we pulled out of cycle gear and hit the twisty road, of coarse our pace picked up and nervousness set in, my leather jacket I have now Fank Thomas has preferated chest and back with a zip out liner, Ive worn it on some very hot humid days (south hummidity sucks!) and it just is too hot..this is why i want to try something different, I thought maybe textile would be up to par but after all you guys responses I see I wont feel comfortable in the pace if its not leather....maybe I would be better of just buying a 1 pc suit....I think I would prefer a 2 pc but doubt it would be as effective during a spill..honestly the reason I bring this topic up is because its really starting to effect my confidence......Instead of thinking about the line Ive chosen Im worried about how that asphalt is going to feel!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my leather jacket I have now Fank Thomas has preferated chest and back with a zip out liner, Ive worn it on some very hot humid days (south hummidity sucks!) and it just is too hot..this is why i want to try something different,

You really need full perforated leather to make enough difference, both my pants and jacket are perforated on every square inch of leather and it is that full perf that allows enough air flow to make riding doable in the hot temps.

Of course I need to find some new perforated pants as they were "Cut Off" my brother when he crashed! :huh:

Glad he was wearing them, but both his legs were still broken! :laugh: This was most likely because he refused to let go of the bike thinking he knew where it was that way. Me I try to kick away from the bike asap! :blush:

my leather jacket I have now Fank Thomas has preferated chest and back with a zip out liner, Ive worn it on some very hot humid days (south hummidity sucks!) and it just is too hot..this is why i want to try something different,

You really need full perforated leather to make enough difference, both my pants and jacket are perforated on every square inch of leather and it is that full perf that allows enough air flow to make riding doable in the hot temps.

Of course I need to find some new perforated pants as they were "Cut Off" my brother when he crashed! :huh:

Glad he was wearing them, but both his legs were still broken! :laugh: This was most likely because he refused to let go of the bike thinking he knew where it was that way. Me I try to kick away from the bike asap! :blush:

Thats what Im going to buy next, I guess I'll be browsing NewEnough....And my family and I will be, and have been, thinking of your brother..speedy recovery!

Thats what Im going to buy next, I guess I'll be browsing NewEnough....And my family and I will be, and have been, thinking of your brother..speedy recovery!

My bro just starting to walk again after 4.5 months and should make a full recovery, Thanks! :laugh:

Newenough is awesome!!! :huh:

I've bought most of my gear from them. Both sets of pants were returned worn once items they had and I got good deals on both, the full perf jacket was actually a JR but almost a cruiser/sport crossover as it had full armor (which I upgraded) but has a collar. :blush: A closeout item though that was only $99 which is a steel for a fully armored & perforated leather jacket.

• Member Contributer

I crashed in mesh once. Won't do that again.

After commuting for a year in Florida, I learned well ventilated leathers are just as cool as mesh gear if you are moving (if you aren't moving it doesn't matter what you have on, you are miserable). The only advantage mesh had over leather was not having to wear rain gear over it in the rain every afternoon in the summer.

After commuting for a year in Florida, I learned well ventilated leathers are just as cool as mesh gear if you are moving (if you aren't moving it doesn't matter what you have on, you are miserable). The only advantage mesh had over leather was not having to wear rain gear over it in the rain every afternoon in the summer.

I guess what gets me is all the big name manufacturers making and selling the mesh gear to unsuspecting people (like myself) and calling it safety gear.....on a side note Ive been caught in alot of rain in my leather jacket without rain gear and hasnt hurt my jacket at all, well atleast were I can tell...Been soaked through and through on a few occasions.. :dry:

Ive been caught in alot of rain in my leather jacket without rain gear and hasnt hurt my jacket at all, well atleast were I can tell...Been soaked through and through on a few occasions.. :blush:

Cows don't rot ! :dry:

Ive been caught in alot of rain in my leather jacket without rain gear and hasnt hurt my jacket at all, well atleast were I can tell...Been soaked through and through on a few occasions.. :blush:

Cows don't rot ! :dry:

A little rub with saddle soap every spring goes a long way!

Cows don't rot ! :blush:

Hey saddle soap, hadnt thought of that..thanks for the tip....by the way when i first read the "cows dont rot" and "saddle soap idea" i got the mental picture of two ranchers outside one rubbing saddle soap on a cows rear and the other sayin "yep thata keep her from rottin!"........ :dry: Yeah I need to get out more!!!

Ive been caught in alot of rain in my leather jacket without rain gear and hasnt hurt my jacket at all, well atleast were I can tell...Been soaked through and through on a few occasions.. :dry:

Cows don't rot ! :blush:

Hey saddle soap, hadnt thought of that..thanks for the tip....by the way when i first read the "cows dont rot" and "saddle soap idea" i got the mental picture of two ranchers outside one rubbing saddle soap on a cows rear and the other sayin "yep thata keep her from rottin!"........ :blush: Yeah I need to get out more!!!

I know I'm going to regret adding these words after your lovely description - but the saddle soap helps keep the leather supple...

:dry:

i've had a high-speed slide in textile - first gear kilimanjaro.

there was only the foam elbow and back protection. it worked very well. i still wear it occasionally when it's cold out. it suffered some scrapes and a small tear in the back but i walked away unscathed after about 150 ft on the edge of the road.

i've seen accidents in mesh. some small scrapes and possibly a few minor burns, but no other injuries. they are designed for a single slide.

i think, contrary to what is being said in this post, SEB's jacket did exactly what it was supposed to do - a single wipeout at moderate speed.

i think if you hit the ground and slide at highspeed you're rolling the dice with any gear. the trick is to avoid high speed slides altogether. wink.gif

i've contemplated buying a set of gear/armour for underneath my gear. that way i'd be protected whether i wear on of the mesh jackets i have or the textile ones.

This is all very interesting for someone like me who does not ride too often (I cannot go to work on the bike, and it would be a short commute anyway), does not ride that fast (but can easily go above speed limit, which fast enough to get bad road rash), and who is looking for new gear. I was going to get textile this Spring (next bike show in Vancouver maybe if prices are good?), but now I think I may want to look for leather instead.

But what do you guys do when it rains? I'm not talking a light drizzle, but a good downpour while you're on the road. Do you put something waterproof over top of your leathers or just keep riding and say the heck with it? How good is leather if you take a spill and it is soaked? Anyone tested this?

PPM

there was only the foam elbow and back protection. it worked very well. i still wear it occasionally when it's cold out. it suffered some scrapes and a small tear in the back but i walked away unscathed after about 150 ft on the edge of the road.

i've seen accidents in mesh. some small scrapes and possibly a few minor burns, but no other injuries. they are designed for a single slide.

i think, contrary to what is being said in this post, SEB's jacket did exactly what it was supposed to do - a single wipeout at moderate speed.

i think if you hit the ground and slide at highspeed you're rolling the dice with any gear. the trick is to avoid high speed slides altogether. wink.gif

Bottom line is still "leather is best".

If I had a slide instead of a tumble that day, I would have been a hurting unit!! That jacket shredded the nanosecond that it contacted road surface, if I hadn't rolled, it would have worn through well before I came to a stop!

IMO, mesh gear is useless except for the task of getting squids and inexperienced/new riders into SOMETHING other than a t-shirt or wife beater. As already stated, perfed leather will cool you just as well and increase your protection tenfold at minimum!

• Member Contributer

MotoGP, WSBK, & Weekend Track Warriors aren't wearing leather cuz they think it's sexy :dry:

Anyone have any reviews of the Scorpion Hat Trick jacket? That's what I got.. just wondering if anyones ever crashed in one and had a story on how it worked...

I play on buying something like this: http://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/1695 when I get back from Afghanistan. The white one is sweet as hell!

Wouldn't mind these pants either: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/4...ther-Pants.aspx

MotoGP, WSBK, & Weekend Track Warriors aren't wearing leather cuz they think it's sexy :blush:

Tha pretty much bring it to the the point, even though Im not out to touch a knee down around every bend, I dont follow the letter of the law when it comes to speed on certain roads at certain times, I figure Im not alone in that??!!!!??!!?? But if the time comes I spill I want as much slide proof as I can have....if textile was tried and true as leather i would assume "real racers" would opt for them during competition because of comfort...scince they all wear leather i guess its a no brainer!! Umm what is moderate speed??? :dry:

• Member Contributer
Anyone have any reviews of the Scorpion Hat Trick jacket? That's what I got.. just wondering if anyones ever crashed in one and had a story on how it worked...

I play on buying something like this: http://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/1695 when I get back from Afghanistan. The white one is sweet as hell!

Wouldn't mind these pants either: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/4...ther-Pants.aspx

That all black one is sweet, but there is no prices. What do those set you back?

If you are concerned with keeping cool, be warned that most quality TEXTILE gear has a built in Gortex (or something similar) layer, and that stuff doesn't breathe worth a damn. In fact, around town, I am more confortable in my non perf leathers even in the high heat. With my Frank Thomas gear, every drop of sweat seems to stay locked in. I usually wear my Frank Thomas textile on longer (read multi-day) trips because they are waterproof and much warmer when needed. There is much to be said for not having to stop and add waterproof covering over leather.

Once you have worn leather, you will not want to go back to anything else. Now if they could only market waterproof leather gear, everything else would become moot.

DDO-VFR

• Member Contributer

I guess what gets me is all the big name manufacturers making and selling the mesh gear to unsuspecting people (like myself) and calling it safety gear.....on a side note Ive been caught in alot of rain in my leather jacket without rain gear and hasnt hurt my jacket at all, well atleast were I can tell...Been soaked through and through on a few occasions.. :dry:

It is better than nothing. They market the .5mm thick leather vests and chaps as motorcycle wear, so I guess anything goes.

Water isn't going to hurt the leather, but it takes forever to dry out, which is a problem in cold temps, and also weighs a ton.

• Member Contributer

I had a low speed low side on the street in mesh, slid about 10 yards on the tarmac before hitting grass. Wore through my mesh jacket in several places, the armor in the elbow, and into my elbow.

In quality leathers, I have had numerous crashes at many times the speed and slide distance of my mesh gear, and still have the same leathers with just a few restitches and patches sewn on. No road rash since switching to leather.

I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 that I like to wear around town in the summer and wear the leather jacket as much as possible when temps permit, but as soon as I do a spirited ride on the favorite twisties I put on the leathers for sure. I have the perfed AGV sportrider pants and love them. I can even wear them when it's 45-50 outside with some long-johns underneath. I have crashed twice in my Tourmaster Magnum jacket and it has held up admirably and doesn't need replaced - just has some good scuffmarks on it.

A perfed leather jacket is definitely on my shopping list and would like to get one before another one of our summers.

off%20topic.gif

BTW, fellas, do scuff-marks and scratched off areas on your leather jacket make you look bad (should I be embarrassed?) or are they a badge of honor? Just wondering - don't care much either way.

That all black one is sweet, but there is no prices. What do those set you back?

Like, 360 bucks or somethin like that. I found them on Ebay for 369

• Member Contributer
BTW, fellas, do scuff-marks and scratched off areas on your leather jacket make you look bad (should I be embarrassed?) or are they a badge of honor? Just wondering - don't care much either way.

I vote for badge of honor :unsure:

I vote for badge of honor :unsure:

Depends on who's asking... :unsure:

Archived