Triumph Sprint Wheel On Vtec?

magicman

Question

Anything is possible with money and talent :cool:

It's a great looking wheel. This one is on Ebay Australia for AUD$370:

ae60_1.JPG

The Ducati single nut axle can be adapted into the VFR hub, so the Triumph one may also work.

For the front you'd need to do some or all of the following - but as the ST is a bit of a VFR copy, you might find it easier than you think:

- measure rotor dia of the ST; if they are the same as the VFR you're off to a good start. If they are slightly larger you may be able to take some material out of the VFR calipers to allow them to fit

- get the bearing sizes for the axle - it is possible that you can fit the ST axle with off-the-shelf bearings

- get an ST axle and see if it goes into the VFR forks, if it doesn't, see if it can be machined to fit

If the ST uses 43mm forks, you may be able to slot the whole plot into the VFR...

• Member Contributer

That is a sweet looking wheel. Although I do like the stock wheel, I wish the 6th gen had the single nut configuration. There would be many rear wheel options...

Surprisingly, I've been asked on a few occasions if my stock wheels were aftermarket.

• Member Contributer

I actually prefer the 4 lugs for practicality. But if you can only get that style rim, with the single hole mount, then so be it.

• Member Contributer
Anything is possible with money and talent :fing02:

+1.gif

when i had my FZ1, somebody on the FZ1 forum machined this coolest-looking adaptor to get an R1 rear wheel to fit the FZ1. he wanted the R1 wheel because it was a five spoker and was for a 190 tire (whereas the stock was a three spoker and had a 180). that piece looked really professional. the guy designed and machined it from scratch. it worked.

i once saw a Honda Shadow whose radiator was moved to under the seat. the builder redid all the plumbing, installed a heat dissipator of some sort, and had these coolest-looking air intakes on the side covers. he also made some cosmetic changes to the frame so that you could never tell there was once a radiator in front of it.

you'd be absolutely amazed at what some people can do.

Why didn't Honda carry over the RC30's or even the Hawk 647GT's single nut rear hub?? If they did, we might have more options for aftermarket wheels for our VFRs!

Sometimes Honda just doesn't make any sense creating their own design dead ends as they go for no good reason....now they have the DN-01...."DN"..."DONE"??...... I guess I have to mention gear driven cams too?? :fing02:

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Well, you guys beat me to it before I could post my results. I dig the split 5 spoker but really like the 08 rear that is on their bikes....

The simple answer is no.

I was able to obtain a donor swingarm complete with wheel from an 07 Speed Triple which uses the split 5 spoke wheel you see above, and a swingarm from a 5th gen (thanks Lobster!) for comparison.

1. - The VFR's rear rotor is a 94mm ID and 256mm OD piece where the Triumph's is a 105mm ID and 220mm OD.

2. - The 5th/6th Gen's axle is larger in diameter than that of the Triumph's, but has about the same length spacing characteristics

3. - The Triumph's eccentric/bearing holder is smaller than that of the 5th/6th gens, so no swap

4. - The Triumph's axle will slip right into the VFR's eccentric and line up perfectly to the VFR's OEM 3 pot caliper, but slops around inside the bearings

5. - The Triumph's wheel offset if approximately 13mm outboard from the swingarm thus pushing the centerline off 13mm

6. - I've sourced an axle mfg who can produce a hybrid of the VFR's and Triumph's axle characteristics that would allow the use of the axle in existing VFR eccentrics and OEM rotors, but with the four stud single nut hub

Even if the axle is mfgd, the fact the wheel is still 13mm off center is something I'm not yet able to overcome. Even if the wheel is machined down to compensate, it will then have a terminal illness when contacting the Honda caliper.

The great news is that for the 3rd/4th gen'rs is that the Triumph's eccentric is a direct match for the OD, thus it will fit perfectly in the VFR's swingarm, and the rotor mates up just fine with the 3rd/4th gen'rs caliper too (I have a donor rear end for the 3rd/4th gen on my bench)

Without having a 3rd/4th gen swingarm to work with, I'm not sure about the wheel offset for those years. Any takers? I have the 46mm socket.....

• Member Contributer

I guess what should be done is measure the wheel offset from a 5th gen as I have that for an 8 spoker to determine if the 5th/6th gens have a different offset than that of the 3rd/4th gens. Distance from the wheel's hub to the lip of the rim would do nicely.

Larry, I'll mock up the Triumph's axle and wheel inside the 3rd/4th gen eccentric and check the distance to the Honda OEM 2 pot caliper. If you could measure the center where the eccentric slides into all the way up the swingarm and take a measurement from the wheel bump out to that center line that may offer me some bit of numbers to check the overall offset.

If you guys are not worried about the 13mm offset, then I have a setup for you all.....

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Jim

Great work Jim,

I can't imagine there's any significant difference in offset across all the SSS VFR wheels, as they are all pretty much interchangable...

Don't forget that you can countersink the 3rd/4th Gen caliper bracket bolts (replace with set screws) to get more range of movement in locating the caliper, given that the ST rotor is of smaller dia this may allow the VFR caliper to be located lower (with a different torque arm) so that it works with the ST rotor?

Jim let me know if you want more info on the above mod (aka "flipping the eccentric").

I love this stuff :fing02: :fing02: :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Don't forget that you can countersink the 3rd/4th Gen caliper bracket bolts (replace with set screws) to get more range of movement in locating the caliper, given that the ST rotor is of smaller dia this may allow the VFR caliper to be located lower (with a different torque arm) so that it works with the ST rotor?

Good point regarding the caliper bracket, as that is what I originally thought would have to be modified with the 5th gen.

In doing so, you could drop the radial distance the wheel's spokes need to clear if you machine the wheel's hub down the needed 13mm to get the correct offset. Let me get to may "Laboratory" to see about that one. Also, not sure if machining off 13mm from the wheel's hub will affect the wheel's integrity :fing02:

In doing this mod I'd hoped for minor adjustments that would allow for OEM wheels and rotors, since those are what really wear out.....

Off to the basement...

LIke has been said, money.

A good engineer and a cnc machine could make a part or three to make it work. It is totally do-able. It really shouldnt be too hard if the wheel actually fits on the bike.???

Surprisingly, I've been asked on a few occasions if my stock wheels were aftermarket.

I actually have people ask if I installed the SSA on my bike. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Okay, back from the basement....

The 3rd/4th gen's caliper bracket must be modified to align with the Triumph's rotor, not only because of the decreased OD of the Triumph's rotor, but also away from the swingarm due to the slight difference in mating surfaces. The Triumph's caliper bracket is a single piece that has the brake stay integrated into the hanger itself with a pin fixed on the swingarm (underneath similar to the 5th/6th gens).

It may just be easier, since both calipers are 2 pot, to swap out the complete rear from a Triumph and modify the VFR's swingarm to accept the brake stay pin. If you look on the VFR's swingarm near there, they have a level square that seems to be ready to accept the pin. That still may not fix the overall wheel offset of 13mm but you can now work on the hub's machining. A longer rear brake line may be needed as well since the termination is a bit further away than stock.

I'm still unsure how much 13mm off center would affect the ride, especially on the cork screw turn at Laguna :fing02:

Guest vfrrider

OK, from the line of the rear brake caliper mount (mates right up the eccentric) to the inside surface of the S curve, I get approximately 3", as best I can eye bolt it.

How does this compare with the 5th gen?

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

Would it be possible to just splice the two swing arms together? Keep the front of the arm from the VFR, and then through some crazy dovetail like weld change the end to the Triumph's. You'd get to keep all the complicated bits from the Triumph, and not need to worry about messin around with the suspension and pivots.

I realize that ours is cast, and I have no idea what the Triumph's looks like, but it should be possible...

• Member Contributer
Would it be possible to just splice the two swing arms together? Keep the front of the arm from the VFR, and then through some crazy dovetail like weld change the end to the Triumph's. You'd get to keep all the complicated bits from the Triumph, and not need to worry about messin around with the suspension and pivots.

I realize that ours is cast, and I have no idea what the Triumph's looks like, but it should be possible...

i'm not sure that would be safe. the SSSA on the 1098 looks like billet. maybe the easiest thing to do would be to have one machined. that would probably be expensive, though. personally, i don't think the Sprint wheel looks all that great.

Good point regarding the caliper bracket, as that is what I originally thought would have to be modified with the 5th gen. In doing so, you could drop the radial distance the wheel's spokes need to clear if you machine the wheel's hub down the needed 13mm to get the correct offset.

Ahh, the 5th Gen is a different kettle of fish. The axle in the 3rd/4th Gen sits at the 'top' of the eccentric, and 'flipping' it sends it to the bottom (roughly 6 o'clock), which means the swingarm itself rises relative to the road surface (increasing ride height by 35-40mm). However, the 5th Gen axle already sits at 6 o'clock (the caliper is below the hub) so it cannot be changed like the 3rd/4th Gen can.

The 3rd/4th gen's caliper bracket must be modified to align with the Triumph's rotor, not only because of the decreased OD of the Triumph's rotor, but also away from the swingarm due to the slight difference in mating surfaces.

Is it possible to shim it out from the swingarm with spacers? I suppose I should go and look at mine...

I'm still unsure how much 13mm off center would affect the ride, especially on the cork screw turn at Laguna :laugh:

It's a lot... to be clear, we're talking about taking 13mm off the mounting face of the wheel, yes?

I've read that the 6.5" wheels used on the RC45s were offset quite a bit, with no noticable impact to handling...

• Member Contributer

I've been reading all the responses. Would it not be easier to try a Gregg's Custom swing arm? I'm not sure that they make a swing arm for the VFR but since they use the word "custom", they might. I think it would be a safer route and in the long run, cheaper. Good luck!

I love this stuff :blush: :fing02: :fing02:

Me too!

I find it kind of frustrating though, that everyone always gets hung up on bike wheels.

There are car wheels out there in various styles and weights with the correct offset and bolt pattern. All you have to do is mount a tire on them and then install on your bike. No single nut, but the wheel style might be enough to override that fact? Hmmm...

Oh, and a custom swingarm will set you back a few grand. For the money, you would be better off getting the Carozzeria wheel set with the custom adapter.

• Member Contributer
I love this stuff :blush: :fing02: :fing02:

Me too!

I find it kind of frustrating though, that everyone always gets hung up on bike wheels.

There are car wheels out there in various styles and weights with the correct offset and bolt pattern. All you have to do is mount a tire on them and then install on your bike. No single nut, but the wheel style might be enough to override that fact? Hmmm...

Oh, and a custom swingarm will set you back a few grand. For the money, you would be better off getting the Carozzeria wheel set with the custom adapter.

Got any good examples?

Or the specs of our wheel w/ offset?

Or a car with the same offset/bolt pattern?

Bolt pattern is 4x100, Honda Civics and most 4-lug VW's are 4x100, it's actually a really common size.

I have the offset size saved somewhere, lemme see if I can find it. Trav72 got the info for me from a guy on customfighters.

(yes, in a pinch, you could probably borrow someone's spare "donut" to get home! :blush:)

Archived