Thurn Motorsport Fairings And Tail Section

Guest jodius4

Guest jodius4

recently got hit by a car and wiped out pretty much every body panel on my once mint 94 VFR.

after a lot of number crunching and dreaming i got my hands on a thurn motorsport tail section and 3 peice upper/sides. shipped from germany, he sells them on his website and on ebay now.

gallery_8948_4277_71743.jpg

gallery_8948_4277_48874.jpg

gallery_8948_4277_132060.jpg

fit is very good in my opinion. not stock... but everything lines up without any grinding, cutting, or craziness. the tail section did require the fender to be cut.

i cant wait to make it all 1 color and get it back on the road. also note, the chain guard is also from thurn.

it was big bucks but worth it. stock parts are so expensive even at cost!! www.thurnmotorsport.de

and the solo seat is a fiberglass one from VFRchuck on ebay. i was hoping he would make some body panels for the 94 but no luck there. the exhaust is a no longer produced 'wolfe' exhaust from england.

airtech makes body parts in fiberglass with gelcoat, but doesnt make a stock style tail section (no more passengers) also theyre bodywork doesnt come with all the fittings for lights and stuff. and of course, it is less expensive.

the headlight holes were cut and everything is ready to bolt on, no mofications (other then the fender cutting on the rear)

its made out of 'glass reinforced plastic' the inside is all fiberglass but the outside is plastic. seems very tough too, much much tougher then the stock honda 7 piece tailsection.... a couple broken tabs and you gotta spend a couple grand to get it back in one piece.

• 1 month later...

Looks great jodius4!

Cant wait to see it painted! Dont forget to buy some heatsheild tape and apply it where it was on the stock fairings. Also I got a set of the foam seals that go around various joints on the stock fairings from ronayeres. It hurt to spend almost $80 bucks for foam strips, but it made everything fit just like stock.

The chaine gaurd looks great too !

its made out of 'glass reinforced plastic' the inside is all fiberglass but the outside is plastic. seems very tough too, much much tougher then the stock honda 7 piece tailsection.... a couple broken tabs and you gotta spend a couple grand to get it back in one piece.

"glass reinforced plastic" = European for fiberglass. "glass" = glass strands(fiberglass) while the "plastic" = the resin.

Should be much lighter than the stock Honda stuff too. :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

"glass reinforced plastic" = European for fiberglass. "glass" = glass strands(fiberglass) while the "plastic" = the resin.

Should be much lighter than the stock Honda stuff too. :fing02:

It probably is the usual Wet Layup Fiberglass we all know and love, but it could also be done using a compression process where detail can be provided on both the exterior and interior surfaces of the part so as to provide mounting bosses and strengthening to the part. This process often uses epoxies, vinylesters and thermoset plastics combined with stranded fiber to enhance strength and stability. Sorry, not a wise guy, just bin in the biz too long, I guess.

Paulo

• 4 weeks later...

Finally Done!!! heres a few pictures of the finished product. got it painted black, have some stickers but they havent made it on yet. just some honda wings for the tank and VFR logo for the lowers. too many details worth mentioning. i did a lot to the bike this winter! look and be jealous.

gallery_8948_4277_463093.jpg

gallery_8948_4277_178884.jpg

gallery_8948_4277_253239.jpg

gallery_8948_4277_76784.jpg

gallery_8948_4277_395223.jpg

gallery_8948_4277_37866.jpg

gallery_8948_4277_164028.jpg

Very nice!

Since you painted it black, though, it is hard to see the signature naca duct that makes that generation stand out.

Perhaps painting it a dark gray would make it show just enough.

This is just an idea, as the bike looks really good as it is.

Hey Jodius; Nice job,looks really good. I have been toying with the idea of getting a Thurn chain guard for

my fifth gen. but they are so damm expensive. How do you like yours and do you think its

worth the $$$? My stock chain guard is in very nice shape and I just hate to park it on the shelf. eddie

• Member Contributer

Super! Looks really nice. Who makes that windscreen? The windscreen looks fantastic compared to the ZG stock cut that is on mine.

I agree with Tilt2Turn on the NACA duct. He used his first post to mention the NACA duct needing standing out - NACA loyalty there! :dry: Seriously though, that NACA needs to stand out. If the black scheme is your thing, how about setting the NACA in flat black or a deep charcoal color? In any event, the bike looks sweet. Well done in black. It looks *awesome*! :biggrin:

Looks good, except the license plate is really dirty. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

My 2 cents on the NACA: gradual fade from black to red (red bias alert!) from the leading edge to the rear.

Something like this?

gallery_6045_952_463472.jpg

Hot NACAs

Granted, it's a little hot-roddish, and my Photoshop skills are shite, but I think it adds a little visual drama without being garish.

With red Honda tank wings and red HONDA across the lower cowl and top it off with some nice red VFR labels for the mids....

• Member Contributer
My 2 cents on the NACA: gradual fade from black to red (red bias alert!) from the leading edge to the rear.

Something like this?

gallery_6045_952_463472.jpg

Hot NACAs

Granted, it's a little hot-roddish, and my Photoshop skills are shite, but I think it adds a little visual drama without being garish.

reminds me of that one bird with the red spot on its wings

• Member Contributer

Beautiful bike! Know when to say when.

Mac

thanks for the feedback! i actually i have red honda wing decals for the tank and red 5th gen VFR logo decals for the lowers, but after i got it all done i didnt see enough red on the bike to put them on! so im still deciding on that for now. the ducts being red might tie it all together. yeah the taillights are a bit over the top, i needed something with an integrated signals cause theres no where to put blinkers on it with that high pipe / tail section combo. the lens are actually stock yamaha xv1900 blinker lens. they fit in the holes and were $3 a piece!

and i love the chainguard cause that stock one always seemed goofy, but yeah, its way too expensive. i was getting the fairings though and figured id do it while i was at it.

Archived