Winter Glove Time...post Up Reviews

Tightwad

I picked up a pair of Powerlet's Proform heated gloves at last year's Seattle MC show. They look a lot like Tourceptor86's, with carbon knuckle protection. They're very thin, very evenly warm, and waterproof even in driving rain (yes, tested the hard way!). I can't remember what I paid for them, but I know I got a great deal at the show and a discount for multiple items. They're $169 on Powerlet's site, but I'll bet you can get them for less.

The only downside is the one you have with all heated gear. You have to fiddle with cords. Otherwise, they can't be beat on a cold, wet ride.

This is an intriguing idea as I am a Powerlet dealer...I know I can sell those gloves for about $152, I was just leary of trying them without hearing positive reviews.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I too em looking for a better way to keep my hands worm. And what I see is a lot of nice heated gloves out there for

$100 to $180 with out a heat controller the Tour Master Synergy glove comes with a controller. I have had Tour Master

stuff before and it all has been the BEST. Now that said how about the cheep stuff? Like :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I7TZKK/ref=no...boutThisProduct

Stephen

I use and love these, on pair #2, in temps down into the high 30's. I think they are called the BMW Pro Summer Rain Glove, but they are way to insulated to be for summer. They are completly water proof. For even colder weather I use the BMW Pro Winter Gloves.

Pro Summer

421213543_uhvHW-M.jpg

• Member Contributer
Skip the winter gloves and get some Symtec heated grips. They are like $30 and stick on under your grips.

Keep your hands warm in race gloves down to the 30s. I tried a few winter gloves before getting my heated grips and couldn't stand any of them because of the bulk.

:huh: :huh: +1.gif+1.gif

Even though one of my grips went dead a couple of weeks ago on a day that was in the low 30's,I would still recommend them highly.No cables.Always forget to pull vest cable at stops :biggrin: .Adding glove cables would be a pain for me.

• Member Contributer
Gerbing heated gloves :biggrin:

YESSSS!!! Gerbings are great, I also wear the heated jacket liner and my 70 mile commute in 20 degree weather is pleasant!!

People look at me like I'm nuts, though!

I also have a pair of HELD's that I got 6 years ago, about a $100. still great, good for weather down to 30~35 f and then I'm wishing that I had the heated Gerbings. They also are completely waterproof, and have a squeege on the left index finger!

I should be very grateful to my girlfriend who found this superb peace of kit on the internet a few years ago.. now I wouldn't be without them and even have a spare set of gloves.

It makes me smile when I go whizzing past all the traffic when it's -2c and snowing outside... but it's ok, I'm toasty warrrm in my heated jacket and gloves!! :biggrin:

Just one thing confuses me.. why isn't everyone using them? It makes riding accessible all year round!

• Member Contributer

Jim at Eastern Beaver Company has a pair of slightly used Gerbing electric gloves for $75.00. That's a great deal! I have a pair, and they are soft, pliable, and not too bulky. If interested, take a look at www.easternbeaver.com. You have to find the link to the Clearance items.

Skip the winter gloves and get some Symtec heated grips. They are like $30 and stick on under your grips.

Keep your hands warm in race gloves down to the 30s. I tried a few winter gloves before getting my heated grips and couldn't stand any of them because of the bulk.

+1... I just use Dainese Hellracers with the grips on about 75%. Get the heat troller, totally worth it!

+1... I just use Dainese Hellracers with the grips on about 75%. Get the heat troller, totally worth it!

I am considering building a heat controller circuit because my grips have two settings:

Warm Milk

Molten Lava

Good thing is, the heat controller circuit will also work for heated clothing, so if I go that route I don't need to spend $65+ on that!

• Member Contributer

I was able to try out my TourMaster Synergy Heated Gloves for the first time yesterday on a short 100 mile ride in temps ranging from 40 to 50 degrees.

It was not cold enough to truly test them, as they are really designed for extreme cold IMO (like single digit temps). Except for a momentary burst on "high" just to see what it felt like, they were set on low for the whole ride. In those temps, the low setting was more than adaquate for keeping warm. The high setting was downright HOT, and even in single digit temps, I would predict that the high setting would only be needed in bursts if the hands get particularly cold.

The gloves themselves were a bit bulky, but the inner insulation seemed to compress a bit as the day went along making them a bit less cumbersome, but initially, fine manipulation of the clutch and brake was difficult. I feel like they will break in better with more use, and get more comfortable. They are quite a bit different feeling than the Dainese Hellracers I normally use, so there will be some adjustment to the bulkier feel anyway.

I was impressed with what all came with the gloves.. They give you everything you need to use the gloves independantly or in conjunction with other TM heated gear, like the jacket.

• Member Contributer

I went for an hour and a half or so ride yesterday. Temp was 36F to 38F. I had on my Gerbing heated gloves and was going to test them, but didn't have to. They kept my hands warm and toasty without plugging them in. They are nice and supple, too.

• Member Contributer

My grips don't keep the backs of my hands warm sad.gif

:blink: When it is really cold 25 or below the heated grips are not enough for the backs of my hands to stay comfortable for very long.

After cycling for 20+ years and NEVER finding any gloves to date that work worth a crap...I can say when I do get some cool weather gloves they will be heated! along with a heated jacket or vest..

Nice thread for a newb :cool:

• Member Contributer

I'm gonna have to do the controller rheostat thingy for my grip cookers since I changed to thinner grips. My two settings are incinerate and don't even consider the other one.

My current glove is an Olympia 4370 which I picked up at Moto-Liberty. They're not too bulky to be bothersome and in conjuction with the grip cookers I've been comfortable on 40 degree all-day rides. They are also very rain proven. I've been considering the Powerlet gloves for a while but won't turn loose of the change.

4370_blk_highres.jpg

• Member Contributer
I'm gonna have to do the controller rheostat thingy for my grip cookers since I changed to thinner grips. My two settings are incinerate and don't even consider the other one.

My current glove is an Olympia 4370 which I picked up at Moto-Liberty. They're not too bulky to be bothersome and in conjuction with the grip cookers I've been comfortable on 40 degree all-day rides. They are also very rain proven. I've been considering the Powerlet gloves for a while but won't turn loose of the change.

4370_blk_highres.jpg

I have a pair of these also, and like them very much, though they are a bit thick (as am I). They're well made, and extremely warm. They also have the "one-pull cinch", which is a nice feature.

• 1 month later...

Even though I can't ride now due to snow/ice here in Boise, I thought I'd bump this thread.

webbikeworld.com has a nice review series going on winter riding gloves. Not complete yet but there's some good info there.

• Member Contributer

I have the Olympia mid season cowhide. Before I had heated grips they weren't good for much under 40. Now I can ride comfortably down to 30 but that's because of the grips, not the gloves. Also on each hand the velcro tore away from the glove (tore the leather) so I'm not sure how great they would be in a crash..

Archived