Winter Glove Time...post Up Reviews

Tightwad

I noticed on my ride in to work that my “winter” gloves have torn at the base of the thumb, on the top side. I never really liked the gloves, but budget restrictions were, and still are, tough.

What I didn’t like:

Bulky

No perceived protection greater than normal winter gloves (some leather, mostly textile

Too insulated in the palms, not insulated enough elsewhere….heated grips almost impossible to feel, fingers still get numb

What I did like:

Wiper Blade on left thumb

Waterproof

So what gloves have you had good luck with on longer rides (greater than 45 minutes), when your hands really had the chance to cool off. How much did you spend for your gloves? Would you buy the same pair again?

• Member Contributer

I have to admit, the wiper blade on the thumb is awesome. It's sewn in the seam on my fall/spring gloves (the pair I like the best). My winter gloves sound like yours Tightwad - too thick, but not insulating enough (sounds strange, but true). Cost ~ $60? I think. I'll probably try a different pair next time around. May even try hippo hands or whatever those big mittens are called. Mac

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of Warm & Safe electric gloves and I love 'em. They're not bulky, so the controls feel normal, and they've helped extend my riding season by at least a couple of weeks at each end here in Minnesota.

(They also have that squeegee thing...)

I have a set of Tourmaster gloves that are okay with my heated grips, but really, i HATE thick gloves while riding, that is why i went this way. With my heated grips on low and my thin summer gloves, my hands are roasting even in low 20 degree outside temps. They look kinda funny, but work great, and super cheap, too.

DSC03339.jpg

• Member Contributer
I have a set of Tourmaster gloves that are okay with my heated grips, but really, i HATE thick gloves while riding, that is why i went this way. With my heated grips on low and my thin summer gloves, my hands are roasting even in low 20 degree outside temps. They look kinda funny, but work great, and super cheap, too.

DSC03339.jpg

Yes they look funny....not as funny as half a frost bit finger +1.gif !

I have a pair of Olympia leather puffy gloves w/ the H2o proof liner. I still use them but I hate'm. The bulkiness is somewhat tolerable you just have to get used to it. They do a good job of keeping my hands warm but I'm puttin grip heaters on and goin w/ thinner gloves. What really bugs me about them is when they get wet the inner liner thats H2O proof stick to my hands when removed and its a PITA to the the liner back in w/ out being all scrunched up.

Heres a wWB review

I got a pair of Cold Tex gloves from Tour Master - $27 from newenough.com. They are my below 40F gloves.

They are WARM! I road to work last year at 18F with the grip heaters on 75% and my hands were toasty warm.

Leather Palm

They have held up well, I ride year round and they get a lot of use during the winter.

Dislikes:

not much in the protection dept

a little bulky until you get used to them

Action

• Member Contributer

For spring/fall use, I have a pair of Alpinestars ST-1 waterproof/textile gloves.

For winter use (admittedly, Alabama winter use) a couple of years ago, I bought a pair of the old-style Firstgear Voyager gloves (the ones here). They are bulkier, and the insulation is thicker. However, my hands get sweatier inside of them, and the added bulk reduces how useful they are.

So I really don't use them any more. When the weather gets cold, I still use the same Alpinestars, but with a pair of glove liners.

I also use a set of warm wrap grips on my VFR when it's really cold, and I turn on the hot grips on my Hawk GT.

--Ron

• Member Contributer

I just started wearing a pair of Olympia Gore-Tex style #4296 gloves, with leather palm patch, gauntlet type, elastcized wrist with a Velcro wrist strap, a "one-pull" cord cinch at end, and a visor wiper on the left thumb. Very warm, very comfortable, and not overly bulky. Appear to be very well made. I've used them on a few 30F mornings, but my commute is only about 10 minutes long. Can't feel the cold at all, though. I'll repost with an update after a longer and colder ride. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Skip the winter gloves and get some Symtec heated grips. They are like $30 and stick on under your grips.

Keep your hands warm in race gloves down to the 30s. I tried a few winter gloves before getting my heated grips and couldn't stand any of them because of the bulk.

• Member Contributer

A* SR2 Drystar gloves http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpine...es--622582.html

I'd go with heated grips if my trips were longer but I've used these on multiple occaisions, including a snowy commute home from work last winter and they did just fine keeping me dry and warm

• Member Contributer

I just bought a pair of Tour Master winter gloves. It was 30 degrees when I left for work this morning. They work very well in conjunction with my heated grips. A little bulky, but not as bad as others I've used.

http://www.newenough.com/gloves/insulated_...cle_gloves.html

I bough them locally for the same price.

Skip the winter gloves and get some Symtec heated grips. They are like $30 and stick on under your grips.

Keep your hands warm in race gloves down to the 30s. I tried a few winter gloves before getting my heated grips and couldn't stand any of them because of the bulk.

My grips don't keep the backs of my hands warm sad.gif

My grips don't keep the backs of my hands warm sad.gif

Same here, and the heated grips I have only provide sufficient heat with regular (thin) gloves. But then it does get pretty cold here in IDEEEEHO. smile.gif

• Member Contributer
DSC03339.jpg

hahah those are funny looking. what if your picking your nose at a light and it turns green(the light that is)? it would be ackward trying to get your hands back in those, no?

right now i am using joe rocket dry tech gloves. apparently they have a gore tex like material and thinsulate type insulation. the palms are nice and thin and keep me warm and dry. that and heated grips and i am good to go!

one thing i have had great luck with is ski racing gloves. i am a fanatic about thin palms on gloves(i didn't like the rockets at first, but they broke in a bit). i had some full leather salomon gloves with gore tex and loved them! i was a ski bum so i have always had good ski gloves around.

• Member Contributer
prods_image_0134.gif

You can have them when you pry them from my warm dry hands! :laugh:

Mine say M2R on them and Black/Gray/White.

$100+

Excellent reply!!! Still cleaning up the coffee from the spit take

Muff

I noticed on my ride in to work that my “winter” gloves have torn at the base of the thumb, on the top side. I never really liked the gloves, but budget restrictions were, and still are, tough.

What I didn’t like:

Bulky

No perceived protection greater than normal winter gloves (some leather, mostly textile

Too insulated in the palms, not insulated enough elsewhere….heated grips almost impossible to feel, fingers still get numb

What I did like:

Wiper Blade on left thumb

Waterproof

So what gloves have you had good luck with on longer rides (greater than 45 minutes), when your hands really had the chance to cool off. How much did you spend for your gloves? Would you buy the same pair again?

Hi there...Winter (waterproof?) gloves..I chose, Alpinestars WR-2 Gore-Tex Gloves (from those great folks at New Enough Leathers)...I have had other pairs(mucho)..but, these are the finest yet!...Warm, relatively light wieght, thin, high quality construction, and "They Work". I installed a set of Oxford Heated Grips 2 season's ago..a God send, one of the best mods I have conducted...Try New Enough Leathers if your searching the web..I am a very satisfied customer..Take care, Stay Warm Be Safe...and Ride Safe...

Ciao,

Jeffy :rolleyes:

hahah those are funny looking. what if your picking your nose at a light and it turns green(the light that is)? it would be ackward trying to get your hands back in those, no?

right now i am using joe rocket dry tech gloves. apparently they have a gore tex like material and thinsulate type insulation. the palms are nice and thin and keep me warm and dry. that and heated grips and i am good to go!

one thing i have had great luck with is ski racing gloves. i am a fanatic about thin palms on gloves(i didn't like the rockets at first, but they broke in a bit). i had some full leather salomon gloves with gore tex and loved them! i was a ski bum so i have always had good ski gloves around.

Trying to invision picking your nose at a light with:

Helmet

Gloves

You must be very talented!

Ski gloves? How often do skiers need protection from asphalt? Very few mishaps don't include hands to pavement contact.

DSC03339.jpg

Haha, it does take a little getting used to. The openings are pretty large though so getting your hands in isn't that hard.

• Member Contributer

I picked up a pair of Powerlet's Proform heated gloves at last year's Seattle MC show. They look a lot like Tourceptor86's, with carbon knuckle protection. They're very thin, very evenly warm, and waterproof even in driving rain (yes, tested the hard way!). I can't remember what I paid for them, but I know I got a great deal at the show and a discount for multiple items. They're $169 on Powerlet's site, but I'll bet you can get them for less.

The only downside is the one you have with all heated gear. You have to fiddle with cords. Otherwise, they can't be beat on a cold, wet ride.

I bought a good pair of Alpinestars gloves a few years ago, they've held up really well, and aren't too bulky. Yes, they're thicker than regular gloves, but they kinda have to be... I use them and my heated grips to ride all the way down into the teens.

Archived