Kill Switch

il Duce

• Member Contributer

2002 Interceptor.

If I touch my kill switch, the bike dies. If I touch it. Anywhere. Like on the bottom part which is in the "on" direction... Dead bike... Then if I let it go, the FI light comes on, and... we reboot.

Any suggestions?

• Member Contributer

Doctor, it hurts when I do THIS... :goofy:

Stop touching it tongue.gif

I noticed something weird along these lines the other day. If I turn the key on and wait for the pump to prime & FI light to go out , then touch the kill switch the FI light comes back on and primes the pump again. I havnt investigated yet but something screwy is goin on under there. I didnt try it while it was running but I will tonight.

• Member Contributer

I had a similar situation, except on the headlight switch (they are the same type of switch). On the inside, there are two small metal circles that act as contacts for the switch. I don't know if it's age or what not, but it got misaligned. I took it off and fiddled around with it for awhile and works better. It's not shorting, rather opening.

Happens on my 5th gen that I often have to twiddle the killswitch housing just a tad to get it to boot up and prime... never ever gave the smallest sign of killing the engine but just needs a touch to get it to connect somewhere inside. I did pull it apart but neither saw nor gained anything on putting it back together. NFI

Twice I have had a similar kind of problem... I have been leaning toward the kill switch being the culprit. But my problem has not been as "reliable" as yours so I have not commited to tearing it apart. Upon hearing of your issue, this may have tipped the scale. I might tear into it this weekend.

• Member Contributer

It seems to have fixed itself. When it happened yesterday, it was fresh off the charger, and it was in the cold morning air. I don't know if either of those conditions would affect the condition, however, yesterday after work it no longer happened.

It seems to have fixed itself. When it happened yesterday, it was fresh off the charger, and it was in the cold morning air. I don't know if either of those conditions would affect the condition, however, yesterday after work it no longer happened.

I don't tend to trust electrical opens/shorts that fix themselves....they tend to unfix themselves at the least convenient times.

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled both left and right side housings apart and found quite a lot of accumulated muck (grease and dust). Gave it all a good blast with brake cleaner (figure it must be similar to contact cleaner, and aparently leaves no residues), put it all back together and ¡¡Voilá!! Kill switch starts up the FI start-up sequence with no jiggling required, Hi and Lo beams turn on and off in a crisp clean fashion (on ocassion beforehand, I would have to flick from Hi back to Lo and up to Hi again othwise I'd be riding in the dark... the last time I opened them up to see if I could fix these issues, I guess I just didn't clean them out with enough gusto, as it made no difference... now I can use mi Hi-beams with confidence (until the R/R goes on me from using them too often :S)

Archived