Gopro Hero5 Wide Lens Video Camera Test

Guest drago52

Guest drago52

I just got a GoPro HERO5 WIDE lens video camera. The thing is tiny! It could probably fit inside a tennis ball. It's got some great mounting options and this short video test was shot with the suction cup mount on my tank. Check it out. The lighting is bad because I shot it after work today and the sky is overcast, so everything is dull. I can't wait to take it to the track and shoot some more. If it's clear this weekend, I'll head up the canyon and take some shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY2LlZr419E

• Member Contributer

:ohmy: cool! I wanna ride. First snow falls tmro in SLC. ... it would be on a saturday... (insert emoticon for crying like a three year old)

funny how the wide angle makes it look like you're going squid speed! :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I really like the wide angle. Gives a better view of the surroundings. I was really impressed with how stable the camera was with just a suction cup mount. I would like to also see another review after a couple months of you using it.

GO VOLS!!!!!

The wide angle lens definitely creates the "bubble" look. I think it's perfect for motorsports or any speed activity where you want the audience to experience the speed that you can't get with a normal camera. I used a normal camera from the exact same filming position and I couldn't even get the rpm dial without losing the whole road. This camera gets everything. I tried some other mounting positions and the suction cup mount is pretty bomber. If it wasn't raining today, I'd film some with the camera on the lower fairing, seat cowl, front of headlights, etc.

It's a niche camera. there's no zoom and it seems to be really only good for first-person type viewing. I do really like it though.

• Member Contributer

Very nice! I like wide angle lenses for the out the front shots. Gives better representation of the speed and allows us viewers to see all the curves. Only downside is, as in the video, if you are doing the rider shots from that angle. Since the hands are much closer to the lens than your body, it distorts it and makes it look like the grips are 5 feet apart.

Overall I'd take a wide angle over the normal.

• Member Contributer

The center of the image looks like a fish-eye lense or something. Everything is just so distorted that it kind of bothered me. Took fairly clean pics at the cost of a pretty low framerate. Rather have a good image anyways.

Thanks for the post. I'll be looking into it a bit more

turtlecreek has a standard version the Gopro (not wide angle) and has posted up some videos and it seems to work great. I plan on getting a Gopro just because it's so simple and compact, plus w/p, but I don't think I would want the wide angle shot. I Will need to compare them side by side to decide.

This is what my mini DVR and bullet cam records and I'm not sure I need a wider view, I think the standard Gopro would be wider that what mine shoots now(actually I have a full set of lenes for the bullet cam, but want a simpler set-up).

bullet cam video

If you take watch my gopro video test, then watch the IMI motorsports lap related video on youtube, you can really see the difference between the two cameras. The video in the IMI motorsports lap is just a standard Canon ZR200 digicam with ram mounts. When I go shoot another track video, I'll take both cameras and just use the digicam for non-moving shots. The gopro camera is $190 from their website and includes a bunch of different mounts. I wish this freakin' rain would stop so I could go shoot some more!

yeah, it is waterproof, but I hate riding in the rain.

I'm not going to say that I like it a lot, but I do enjoy getting out there in the wet. It's good practice and forces you to be smooth if you want to keep a faster pace. :biggrin:

The video looks good, especially for one on youtube. The files that I've uploaded seem to have much more pixel blocking.

What file format and pixel size did you save it to before upload? Also, which program was used to process the video.

Thanks

The video looks good, especially for one on youtube. The files that I've uploaded seem to have much more pixel blocking.

What file format and pixel size did you save it to before upload? Also, which program was used to process the video.

Thanks

Not sure if this was meant for me or not, but in case it was - saved as High Quality small video w/ Windows Movie Maker...

For those interested, there is a GoPro Users Forum here http://goprouser.freeforums.org

Some good info on how to improve your footage and DIY tips and how too’s.

Questions, Problems and Observations

Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations

Trade, Exchange and best deals

Video Showcase - Your Videos

Editing and Software - Tips

Etc ....

I've been using these cams for over 2 years and often commissioned to fit multiple cams at events, so i have sorted most of the issues.

You may have seen my videos featured on the GoPro website.

Cheers Rambo

Gopro Sponsored Tester

Archived