Wire In Tires!

Bent

• Member Contributer

Two months later, I find yet another piece of TINY wire in the tread of one of my rear tires. I pull it out and really didn't think it penetrated all the way through. It did. Tire is losing 7# of air overnight.

The wire is much finer than a staple, as in REALLY tiny. I just pumped the tire back up to where I wanted the pressure yesterday and rode it and hard in some places. Checked it when I got home and all air was in it.

Anyone know what this very tiny wire is??? If I knew what it is, I might be able to go where it "isn't". Last occurance cost me a good rear tire. The patch job was botched.

I would take a pic but the wire is too small to show up!!

THX,

Bent... smile.gif

I stopped running this one road, and cut flats by 98%

is this a rear application? than small of hole, I think you be impressed just installing 7 or ounces of slime.

I know its hard to consider that, just try it and chew my A$$ later, but I think you'll be okay

• Member Contributer
I stopped running this one road, and cut flats by 98%

is this a rear application? than small of hole, I think you be impressed just installing 7 or ounces of slime.

I know its hard to consider that, just try it and chew my A$$ later, but I think you'll be okay

I haven't used the slime yet but have heard goood things about it. If the hole is that small and you didn't mark it, good luck finding it now. The slime should work well plus it cleans up with water.

• Member Contributer

Park your bike mate,

I believe it is the steel from your tire coming out because the "belt" is breaking apart. You need a new tire. Haven't you picked up a vibration with that?

• Member Contributer
Park your bike mate,

I believe it is the steel from your tire coming out because the "belt" is breaking apart. You need a new tire. Haven't you picked up a vibration with that?

+1.gif

From what you said about the wire size could be a defective steel belt.

• Member Contributer
Park your bike mate,

If this is true then it would explain your wild ride in a turn a few days ago...

• Member Contributer
Park your bike mate,

+1.gif

From what you said about the wire size could be a defective steel belt.

Sounds like the wire from the cords of the tire?? How many miles do you have on this thing? Could be you have a bad tire.

The belts in a tire are much larger than a staple unless they are coming untwined but if I had to guess, I wouldn't think that the belt is coming apart and actually punctured your tire. I would get it fixed and see how it is. IMO

• Member Contributer
A lot of my bicycle flats have been from tiny wires like you mentioned. I figured it was from car/truck tire pieces that littered the roads I ride on.

I think you have it Dutchy. James and I did ride through a broken up car or truck tread yesterday...no choice.

Balint, this tire wasn't on the same bike I had the "fun time" with day before yesterday. That bike was the 5th gen. The wire was in my 6th gen. rear tire.

No, it isn't a bad steel belt because Avon Storms don't have steel belts.....Aramid fiber belts. After pumping the tire back up yesterday, I rode it about 125 semi-hard miles in the twisties and it lost no air during that session. Since the rear tire is on it's way to being worn out, I think I'll just pump it up and wear it out fairly close to home. I carry a Slime compressor and plug kit.

I'm also going to start carrying my gun in case I need to shoot the darn thing.... :unsure:

Thanks for all the good input and possibilities. I'll probably never really know for sure but will avoid areas with blown up tire carcasses. +1.gif

• Member Contributer

"Little wires, pliers, tires....They turn me on..." FZ Joes Garage

Sorry, nobody will understand this unless you are a true Zappa fan like myself. :fing02:

Heres the Mat Mladin post again....I love it, what a great rider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzVPY2p5Org

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Conclusion to issue: The tire would hold air all day long, so I just rode the thing (and rode it hard) till it wore out last weekend. It has a new, yet to be scrubbed in tire on it now. Tomorrow, the other VFR gets a new rear tire....two to scrub in. Why do they all wear out at the same time? sad.gif

• Member Contributer

What we need on this board is a little Green Rosetta...and a green Roseetie too!.....FZ.

One thing I learned early in racing is that whenever you cut off safety wire, throw it away immediately. If you didn't put it in the trash can, you'd find it in your tire. If you got it in the wrong place in the tire, it would leak.

Have you been anywhere that would use small gauge safety wire? It's all over airplanes as well as racing vehicles.

Michael

• Member Contributer
One thing I learned early in racing is that whenever you cut off safety wire, throw it away immediately. If you didn't put it in the trash can, you'd find it in your tire. If you got it in the wrong place in the tire, it would leak.

Have you been anywhere that would use small gauge safety wire? It's all over airplanes as well as racing vehicles.

Michael

No, Michael, I haven't been near any of these type places. In fact, this wire was way too small to be used as a safety wire. Smaller than steel belted tire cord even. I have no idea what the application of this small a piece of wire would be, but it's happened twice now with the same size wire.

Good thought though. Thanks for the info.!! :squid:

Archived