Front Tire Went Flat During Today's Flight

VFR4Lee

From now on when I get new tires. I'm getting new valve stems too.

Coming down Big Tujunga Canyon today, buzzing through the nice sweepers up there,

and one turn the bike just didn't want to turn, the front end felt heavy and vague.

I let off the gas and slowed, and found a level spot to stop 1/2 a mile down, and the front tire was totally flat.

No nails or screws in the tire, leaking from the 90 degree angle valve stem.

Put in 2 CO2 carts and got about half way down the 10+ mile run, 2 more and made the gas station in Sunland, last mile or so it was flat.

Going 20 - 30 mph or less the whole way. Got a truck home from Sunland. Thank God, I was melting. Err, thank John actually. :fing02:

With no air in the front tire, the low speed handling is somewhere in the sketchy to scary range.

Wore me out in the 100+heat. :comp13:

Wonder if I need a new tire. :fing02:

I gotta look up where I got that tire installed, and ask how come I didn't get a new valve stem too? :fing02:

Also hit 64,000 today, so time for service.

the 90 degree valves seem to come loose alot. There was a Nationwide valve issue a few months back with rubber valves from china.

But I was going to get stem regular metal valves, and stop paying for new stems everytime.

Surprisingly the shop said they have more problems with the metal ones leaking than the rubber ones.

Humm I say

Lee, glad it didn't cause you to go down!!! :fing02:

I had a front go down in seconds at 70 mph and it was like the steering locked, mine was a failed valve stem too! :fing02:

If you ran the tire far at all while flat it destroys the cords and I would NOT risk running a front tire after a failure like this! :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Lee

I had one go flat on my 1100 on the freeway last year. I just slowed to a stop on the side of the freeway. When i changed the valve stem and remounted the tire it had blisters in the sidewall from broken cords. My .02 is get a new tire and don't trust the old one.

I think this tire will be pumped up for one last 3/4 mile ride to the shop this week.

I haven't looked close, but it looks OK on the outside.

But, probably fubar on the inside.

Gotta say, the Pilot Powers must have a stiff sidewall. It didn't look flat when parked,

but push on the tread and you could tell pressure was the same as the atmosphere. Nada. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Bummer Lee. I rode a flat rear Macadam down 2 one time. Didn't like it one bit but it stayed on the rim long enough to air up and limp station to station and home. Rock damage got mine.

I'd opt for the new front tire. At least they are cheaper than the rears. Glad you didn't dump the bike or ride off. It was fun following you down ACH today, weird thing was I was looking at your tires and was thinking you must run them low for better traction like they do at the track. Never crossed my mind that the front was flat.

• Member Contributer

Too bad about the tire, but glad you made it home ok :fing02:

The thing was fine, or felt fine anyway, until after I split off down Upper Big TJ with XBS John on his naked CBR1000.

Just going into one turn it suddenly didn't want to turn, and it felt like it had lost all it's air within a couple more turns or so. :blush:

It seemed pretty clear from the saddle I had lost air pressure. What else could it be?

Didn't make me panic or anything, but was not pleasant to be going 60 or 70 and get that feeling.

Hey, why won't you turn? Wobble wobble. :biggrin:

I pumped the tire up to 40 and rode to the shop today.

When the mechanic came out 20 minutes later he walked up,

kicked the front tire and pushed it inside on 0 psi.

64k valves+ service time too. Ka-Ching! Pay to play. :unsure:

• Member Contributer
From now on when I get new tires. I'm getting new valve stems too.

Coming down Big Tujunga Canyon today, buzzing through the nice sweepers up there,

and one turn the bike just didn't want to turn, the front end felt heavy and vague.

I let off the gas and slowed, and found a level spot to stop 1/2 a mile down, and the front tire was totally flat.

No nails or screws in the tire, leaking from the 90 degree angle valve stem.

Put in 2 CO2 carts and got about half way down the 10+ mile run, 2 more and made the gas station in Sunland, last mile or so it was flat.

Going 20 - 30 mph or less the whole way. Got a truck home from Sunland. Thank God, I was melting. Err, thank John actually. :blush:

With no air in the front tire, the low speed handling is somewhere in the sketchy to scary range.

Wore me out in the 100+heat. :wheel:

Wonder if I need a new tire. :lurk:

Nah, just get a new bike. They come with new tires.... :fing02: :ohmy:

Yeah Oyama, 90 degree metal stem.

But the gasket / wheel attachment part is rubber.

Told the shop to inspect the inside of the tire real good. Trash if any doubt.

No call back today. I'll be happy if I get it back by the weekend.

If not the CBR is ready for action with new chain, sprockets, rear tire.

They have a pair of Aprilia Tuonos there on consignment. :blush:

Maybe it's time to say bye bye CBR. :fing02:

They have a pair of Aprilia Tuonos there on consignment. :491:

Maybe it's time to say bye bye CBR. :unsure:

You'd like the Tuono. 10K on mine and it still gives me a.........shit eatin grin every time I get off :rolleyes:

Mechanic said this tire is fine. smile.gif

But I need a chain and sprocket set soon.

Looks a lot better then the CBR did before it got new chain and sprockets this week. :unsure:

The 2 Tuono's are still sitting there. :wub:

Calling with their sirens song. :491:

Faaaaaaaaaaak! I fear they seek to lure my ship to it's doom on the financial rocks.

Thank God the shop is closed for the 3 day weekend. :idea3:

• Member Contributer
Mechanic said this tire is fine. smile.gif

But I need a chain and sprocket set soon.

Looks a lot better then the CBR did before it got new chain and sprockets this week. :idea3:

The 2 Tuono's are still sitting there. :laugh:

Calling with their sirens song. :laugh:

Faaaaaaaaaaak! I fear they seek to lure my ship to it's doom on the financial rocks.

Thank God the shop is closed for the 3 day weekend. :wub:

Chill. Valve stems are a lot cheaper than a new bike and, could they just be trying to sell a chain and sprocket set? You can tell what shape the chain is in as easy as they can. You know the history of it and how it has been cared for and they don't. A VFR isn't exactly a POS.... :unsure:

Or, BEST SOLUTION.....keep the VFR and get the Tuono!! Back up bikes are just insurance.....that's what wives are supposed to be told.... :491:

Archived