021 Bridgestone On The Front, What's Best For The Rear Of My

rangemaster

• Member Contributer

Just got the bike with 4000 miles on it now and it came with a brand new Bridgestone 021 on the front. BUT it has what I'm sure is the original Bridgestone 054 on the back. It is in great shape but I think if the front's new so should the rear. So is the best option just another 021 or does Bridgestone make something that would work better with the 021 front? Bike is used for city riding/commuting and weekend rides-not a lot of twisties in NM.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Member Contributer

Replaced my 4th gen's with a BT020 rear and BT021 front about 18 months ago as a set. I have been very pleased with the wear on both. 6k+ on the tires and there's still 30% left. Majority of those miles were commute miles, so the tires really look like \---/. I'd go with the combo again. Maybe not the best setup for sport-oriented riding, but good for all-around with good wear IMO. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Replaced my 4th gen's with a BT020 rear and BT021 front about 18 months ago as a set. I have been very pleased with the wear on both. 6k+ on the tires and there's still 30% left. Majority of those miles were commute miles, so the tires really look like \---/. I'd go with the combo again. Maybe not the best setup for sport-oriented riding, but good for all-around with good wear IMO. :biggrin:

Sounds like a good choice. may I ask why you picked a 020 over a 021 for the rear?

• Member Contributer
Sounds like a good choice. may I ask why you picked a 020 over a 021 for the rear?

I wanted BT021s on both ends, but the place I bought them from only had BT020 for the rear (old stock). BT021s have replaced the BT020s. I didn't want a BT020 up front (tread pattern looks cup-prone to me), so I drove home with the combination I did. Anything was better than the Dunlops that were on it. Know that with the newer Battleaxe, the BT021 rear offers dual tread compound, something that will help out should you find some twisties in NM.

Just got the bike with 4000 miles on it now and it came with a brand new Bridgestone 021 on the front. BUT it has what I'm sure is the original Bridgestone 054 on the back. It is in great shape but I think if the front's new so should the rear. So is the best option just another 021 or does Bridgestone make something that would work better with the 021 front? Bike is used for city riding/commuting and weekend rides-not a lot of twisties in NM.

The bt21 rear is a very good tire, atleast in the 180 size, its a quicker turning rear tire than the Proad 2, and an outstanding rain tire. The proad 2 offers outstanding life though, but I doubt its a better rain tire than the Bt rear.

I've been waiting for rain to stress the proad2, but no luck yet.

• Member Contributer

The bt21 rear is a very good tire, atleast in the 180 size, its a quicker turning rear tire than the Proad 2, and an outstanding rain tire. The proad 2 offers outstanding life though, but I doubt its a better rain tire than the Bt rear.

I've been waiting for rain to stress the proad2, but no luck yet.

From what I understand, you should not mix brands. As far as types in the same brand are concerned, it seems to work. Not that this adds anything to the original question -- The BT021 is an excellent tire. I've had good luck with mine, it's wearing very well, and I have confidence in it. Have not had it in the wet, however. I'll take your word for it. ! !

• Member Contributer

I have the 014 front and 021 rear.

I have about 1.5k miles on them now, no noticeable cupping, however I am getting some headshake. I'm attributing the HS to too soft a preload on the rear (I've been playing with the rear suspension lately).

I can say that the combo I'm running does quite well in the rain. No issues on the Western MA ride and no issues last week when we got about 2" of rain in an hour (THE hour I was commuting home).

smile.gif

• Member Contributer
I have the 014 front and 021 rear.

I have about 1.5k miles on them now, no noticeable cupping, however I am getting some headshake. I'm attributing the HS to too soft a preload on the rear (I've been playing with the rear suspension lately).

I can say that the combo I'm running does quite well in the rain. No issues on the Western MA ride and no issues last week when we got about 2" of rain in an hour (THE hour I was commuting home).

smile.gif

Clarification: I'm running 021s f & r...

• Member Contributer

Mine came with the 020's, switched to 021's front and rear, around 6k on a front before the edges are close to the wear bars, rear, 4500 before I replace it. I ride relativley aggressive, no commuting, love the tires, just put the 6th new rear tire on.

Southwestmototires loves me :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Mine came with the 020's, switched to 021's front and rear, around 6k on a front before the edges are close to the wear bars, rear, 4500 before I replace it. I ride relativley aggressive, no commuting, love the tires, just put the 6th new rear tire on.

Southwestmototires loves me :goofy:

Thanks, cruzinaz ....... now I can wick it up a notch or two in comfort !! :goofy:

btw, what pressure you runnin' f & r ??

• Member Contributer

Southwestmototires loves me :goofy:

cruzinaz, what pressure are you running f & r ? (kind of late response, but wtf) :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

Being that I hate 021's, I would just take it off and give it away cutting my losses in the beginning.

021's are great tires through the first third of their tread life then the handling in the twisties gets downright dangerous IMHO. If you're just slab riding, it doesn't matter.

• Member Contributer

Southwestmototires loves me :fing02:

cruzinaz, what pressure are you running f & r ? (kind of late response, but wtf) :goofy:

Tried a few different combos, now at 38 ft, 36 rear cold, seem to be ok for me.

• Member Contributer
Being that I hate 021's, I would just take it off and give it away cutting my losses in the beginning.

021's are great tires through the first third of their tread life then the handling in the twisties gets downright dangerous IMHO. If you're just slab riding, it doesn't matter.

The last time we rode 191 my front was almost to the bars on the side and it was raining, I did not enjoy myself in the corners on wet roads, and gravel,,, but never had an issue other than that.

New tire on front and almost wore out rear,,,again,,, last weekend riding my favorite "race track" I had no slippage at all.

Whatchya riding on now Bent?? Maybe you can convert me :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I only got about 5k out of the front on my 21s the same as the rear. Rear mileage was ok but the front should have been better. Have Roadsmarts at 3k now which probably will get more miles on them. Stones seem to turn in better and are smoother but this such a subjective thing

I'm running Conti's Road Attacks on my 97. I have been satisfied with them. The rear is holding up well considering I do mostly commuting. This year the front doesn't seem to be dialed in quite right so I have been playing with the air pressure. I would probably buy another set.

Archived