Gopro Video System Review

turtlecreek

I recently purchased a video system for my track bike, but due to the misfortune of the crankshaft breaking, I had to settle for testing it on the street. Here is a picture of the mounting config I was using:

IMG_0697.jpg

Everything came with it for $180 retail: Camera, Suction Mount, 4 glue on mounts and various swivel arms. It was easy to configure and I think this is the neatest gadget I have seen. I have messed with full size recorders and used cameras and none worked as well or were packaged for the bike. Well this one is. First, it is mounted inside of a plastic box that is water proof. Next, it is extremely small and compact. Its mounting system works very well and is rigid enough to keep the camera still. It has a noise function that allows you to mount the camera in the wind stream and somehow it blocks out the rush of air and lets you listen to the song of your V4!! Last, but not least, if you have to mount the camera upside down, you simply change one setting and the unit saves the image RIGHT SIDE UP!! The last feature that I thought was really cool was the ability to set it to take continuous photos. Basically, it takes a picture every 5 seconds. You could really get some cool action photos by following your friends through the twisty sections with in running in this mode. Here is a quick sample video:

th_53.jpg

So, is it perfect? Well, no. But pretty dang close. The down sides are: it eats batteries, it has no display screen so you are not 100% what you are taping, it doesnt have a good mechanism to tell you how full your SDRAM chip is or how dead your batteries are. When I first started using it, I would turn it on, ride a while, stop only to see it had stopped taping. It took multiple times to realize that the chip was full. Then the same thing happened, but it was due to battery failure.

Are these reasons not to use it? No, just be aware of it and make sure you have an empty SDRAM card and full batteries before racing off to your favorite twisties.

I have only used the device for 2 days, but I give it :pissed: :squid: :squid: :squid:

Wow, 4 squid rating, huh? Must be good! :squid:

It looks pretty stable, but that whole suction cup mount idea turns me off. It will probably work just fine, but it would always bug me if it were mine(wouldn't want it to fall off!!).

ps - you in need of a new track bike? Check my sig! :pissed:

Wow, 4 squid rating, huh? Must be good! :squid:

It looks pretty stable, but that whole suction cup mount idea turns me off. It will probably work just fine, but it would always bug me if it were mine(wouldn't want it to fall off!!).

ps - you in need of a new track bike? Check my sig! :pissed:

if i didnt mention it, it comes with 4 or 5 glue on mounts with quick disconnect too. thanks for the track bike offer. i have decided to make a good motor out of the 2 i have and then take the remaining motor and make it a 660cc engine with some fairly easy mods....so for now, i am staying the course.

ps, no worries, but the bar end never got here. thanks for trying to help anyways! :squid:

• Member Contributer

Cool. For the heck of it, you might add a tether. .02

Cool. For the heck of it, you might add a tether. .02

a good idea for sure. once i figure out how and where i want to mount it, i will probably do that. for now, the suction cup worked well on the fairing and well on the tank, with no issues at all. the suction cup is HUGE compared to the camera so i really dont think it will be a problem. of course those are famous last

w

o

r

d

s

(splat)! :biggrin:

I've been using the GoPro for a while and I've been happy with mine. Been trying to find the best spot to mount mine on the VFR, though. I think the best bet is to put one of the mounts on the frame rail almost exactly where you put yours. There will be much less virbration. Durable little thing, too.. I l hit a deer once with mine attached to front of my jeep. picked it up 20 yards down the road, and it was still working fine.

Good buy!

any sdram chip up to 2Gig will work. office depot, staples, costco, best buy....they all have it.

as far as the power goes, you can get a dc powersupply to do anything you want. its 2 1.5 volt batteries, or 3V system. buy a 12V to 3V converter and off you go!

as far as the battery life..you can only get about 40 minutes on 1 card and the batteries last that long.

Wow! That thing looks really neat! Especially for only $180. Seems like it took some pretty good video, and the sound was decent too. Where did you get it and what is the model # of that whole package, just so I can make sure I get the same thing if I decide to get it. Thanks!

Wow! That thing looks really neat! Especially for only $180. Seems like it took some pretty good video, and the sound was decent too. Where did you get it and what is the model # of that whole package, just so I can make sure I get the same thing if I decide to get it. Thanks!

i was going to a track day at nashville motorspeedway and on a whim, dropped in at sloan's honda dealership in murfreesboro, TN. bought it from them. that is why i was saying list is $180. hopefully you can do better on the net. as far as a part number...i dont have one.

here is their sight:

http://www.goprocamera.com/

my best guess is this is the package i have:

the 'motorsports' version:

http://www.goprocamera.com/index5.htm

I went ahead and bit the bullet and orderd one for myself. After viewing the vid here and the one's on the web site, I was very impressed.

The best deal I found is at needfultoyz.com. They have a package deal of the Moto GoPro Camera, rechargable batteries, a battery charger, and a 2 GB card for $179.99 including shipping. Thought I would jump all over one at that price.

Here's the link:

http://www.needfultoyz.com/GoPro_Motorspor..._p/gmhw3000.htm

• Member Contributer

Uh Dale.......with your "left-side-luck", shouldn't that be mounted on the right side............... tongue.gif

Uh Dale.......with your "left-side-luck", shouldn't that be mounted on the right side............... tongue.gif

i just consider it 'rather expensive' frame sliders... :fing02: :fing02:

• Member Contributer

i just consider it 'rather expensive' frame sliders... :fing02: :fing02:

Dale,

Skuuter took the words out of my mouth. It does a great job. I really enjoyed watching those scratches on the left side.

I know opinions are like A-Holes but I think if the camera is mounted on top it gives the viewer a better prospective of the road and your lean angles.

Still very Sweet!

PS.......................Now you can film yourself RUNNINGOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA

i just consider it 'rather expensive' frame sliders... :unsure: :rolleyes:

Dale,

Skuuter took the words out of my mouth. It does a great job. I really enjoyed watching those scratches on the left side.

I know opinions are like A-Holes but I think if the camera is mounted on top it gives the viewer a better prospective of the road and your lean angles.

Still very Sweet!

PS.......................Now you can film yourself RUNNINGOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA

yep. i sunday with it on the tank. the reason i did it on the side was i had a tank bag on. i also wanted to see how the noise reduction worked along with the upside down function. all of it worked to a 't'. without a tank bag on, i would definitely mount it on the tank for rides. oh, and regarding the scratches....no one even noticed that i replaced the left fairing.....bunch of losers! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I just got one of these and I'll echo TC's praise. Very nice device. And Seb, I too was skeptical about the suction mount but that thing is powerful. They say they've tested it at 150mph. When I put it on the race bike, I'll probably use the adhesive mounts and safety wire it but on the street the suction cup will do just fine. This thing takes pretty darn good still photos too (3 Mpixels).

I just got one of these and I'll echo TC's praise. Very nice device. And Seb, I too was skeptical about the suction mount but that thing is powerful. They say they've tested it at 150mph. When I put it on the race bike, I'll probably use the adhesive mounts and safety wire it but on the street the suction cup will do just fine. This thing takes pretty darn good still photos too (3 Mpixels).

thats a good point. i use the glue mounts and gorilla duct tape plus safety wire on the track. as far as on my VFR off to the side w/ suction cup, i tested to 90mph and had no issue except that since i had several knuckles added to the mount, it tended to shake too much after 70mph.

• Member Contributer
no one even noticed that i replaced the left fairing.....bunch of losers! :biggrin:

Yes I did......but it was still fun to toss out the "SA" right side remark.................... :goofy:

I noticed the reflection off the fairing and looked to see if I could see the Black on the front cowl from that view..

Wasnt sure if you just touched it up or took some 0000-steel wool to it.. You can shine primer with that stuff :biggrin:

Nice to know it works on the tank too.. How does the camera attach to the arms?

Can you mount a different brand camera to it (typical screw-on mount)?

I checked out this camera too. The vids on their website look pretty awesome. In a few weeks (Sept. 14), they are coming out with a wide-angle lens kit that would make the camera even better. I'll be getting that when it comes out.

I noticed the reflection off the fairing and looked to see if I could see the Black on the front cowl from that view..

Wasnt sure if you just touched it up or took some 0000-steel wool to it.. You can shine primer with that stuff :fing02:

Nice to know it works on the tank too.. How does the camera attach to the arms?

Can you mount a different brand camera to it (typical screw-on mount)?

sry marid...didnt see this post. no, you cannot mount 'standard' mounts to it. it has a hand screw that holds the case on. inside the case is the camera. the black 'football' is still on the front cowl. haven't found a cheap one yet.

• 3 months later...

quick update on the GOPRO battery issue:

1. if you are going to use this system, BATTERIES ARE AN ISSUE! Apparently, the system is VERY sensative to the battery power level. If you are going to use this, you need to factor in the cost of using

LITHIUM batteries AND/OR RECHARGEABLE batteries!!

I kept having issue with standard copper top alkaline batteries in that they lasted only 15-20 minutes and then it would just cut off while riding. i thought maybe i was doing something wrong, or that it was vibration or memory, but it appears as if it simply battery issues (even though the battery light never indicates a problem) it would still take pictures, but would NOT run the constant video.

I tried it recently at a track day in the COLD (40 degrees) and it ran one session and then the batteries were gone (20 minutes)

I bought rechargables, attached it to my truck and ran it until the 2GB card was full (about an hour) and it was still working.

so my problem is fixed, and they do warn you about this, but i ignored it originally.

Archived