Michelin Tire Question

Motor_Ref

• Member Contributer

I was hanging out in the motorcycle store today. Imagine that.

I was looking at tires. There was a 180-55-17 Pilot Power -U right next to a 190-xx-17 Pilot Power.

^^^^

Does anyone know what the -U means?

I asked the guys who work there. Nobody knew.

I asked google. Nothing there. I visited the Michelin website. I couldn't find anything there.

Now I am asking here.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer
I want to know too!!

If we find out here, we will both know.

I shook hands with Merckx once and have an autographed picture. He was quite a figure back in the days of bicycle racing.

I also have a bicycle with his name on it.

:goofy: .

• Member Contributer
I want to know too!!

If we find out here, we will both know.

I shook hands with Merckx once and have an autographed picture. He was quite a figure back in the days of bicycle racing.

I also have a bicycle with his name on it.

:goofy: .

this could be the speed rating? i have never heard of a U but maybe it wasn't printed well and is another letter? did the U appear on both sides or other tires? you got my attention too!!!

• Member Contributer

Still have your Campy stickers sitting on my desk! :goofy:

I honestly can't say that the U has always been on the labels but it did pique my curiosity when I bought tires the other day.

• Member Contributer
Still have your Campy stickers sitting on my desk! :ph34r:

I sure hope you enjoy looking at them. I really like Campy stuff.

Stop by some time. We will get all that stuff out, spread it all over the floor and drool over it.

I honestly can't say that the U has always been on the labels but it did pique my curiosity when I bought tires the other day.

I really don't know about this. I do know that what caught my eye was the -U on one of the tires and not the other one.

The 190 really looked good. Too bad I can't put it on my VFR. I would get yelled at here.

But I do have another bike for it that would look just right. :goofy:

BaileyRock where are you? We need you to tell us what the deal is with this -U.

:biggrin:

"The 190 really looked good. Too bad I can't put it on my VFR. I would get yelled at here."

you need to go with a 190 55 not a 50. has a profile very similar to the 180 55. 190 50 is very different.

• Member Contributer

I'm wondering if you "U" is an indicator of an OEM tire. I'm not sure why a dealer would buy a tire from the bike manufactuer unless it was a warrenty type issue. Enquiring minds want to know!

• Member Contributer

I've run both a 180 and 190. Other than turn in, I don't find a big difference. I know some guys out here frown on running the 190....Hey when your on a budget.

Oh, you do have to lean a little farther to lose the strip. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
190/60 :fing02:

Yeah and something tells me there's no strip left on those tires. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Hmmmm, I have three possibilities:

1. According to the Triumph forums, the U stands for a specific tyre designed for the United States = Seems too odd to be true.

2. In Australia, most Michelin truck tyres comes with a letter which denote it's use. U = urban... eg. local bus, stop start and tight cornering = But we don't have trucks.

And 3. Which is my own speculation - The U means updated/upgraded. Didn't the PR2's have a recall last year? Maybe these are to differentiate between the two.

Anyway... lets talk about oil!

• Member Contributer

Speed ratings are usually marked ON the tyre.

In the case of the PR2's, they are ZR rated last time I looked.

I would steer well clear of any mc tyre that didn't have a ZR rating. Especially a U rating.

I can understand Michelin not wanting to change molds in order to add a U to the wall of the tyre.

Hence, they are delievered with the U label, as once it is removed, the U would make things alittle confusing.

Yeah, my first thought was speed rating. I believe pilot powers are ZR rated.

Just went and checked and powers are ZR rated. I believe that is the highest speed rating.

• Member Contributer
Yeah, my first thought was speed rating. I believe pilot powers are ZR rated.

mine are but the tires pic ed are pilot roads. i know knowing about them...................

• Member Contributer
Hmmmm, I have three possibilities:

1. According to the Triumph forums, the U stands for a specific tyre designed for the United States = Seems too odd to be true.

2. In Australia, most Michelin truck tyres comes with a letter which denote it's use. U = urban... eg. local bus, stop start and tight cornering = But we don't have trucks.

And 3. Which is my own speculation - The U means updated/upgraded. Didn't the PR2's have a recall last year? Maybe these are to differentiate between the two.

Anyway... lets talk about oil!

i think we have a winner! i just talked to Dave at cycle gear. he didn't know so he called his tire supplier for Michelin's. the U on the paper label designates destination. usa. :warranty: let's NOT talk about oil............read the thousands of posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the dozens of threads!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

I have just installed a rear PP 2CT and was wondering how to position it. Pirellis had a red dot to position against the valve stem. PPs have no such designation, but they do have this weird U. First i thought that U should be placed across from the valve stem, but then I saw another U on the other side, which did not match.

So, I too am interested in finding out what U stands for, but even more so, i would like to know whether I installed the tire correctly.

• Member Contributer

Since I worked at a tire manufacturing plant for 20 years at the tread and side wall dept.we stamped many different codes on the sidewall of the tire i.e. U meant we run it on Sunday,3 that it was run on machine 3 or it could be a code at which plant the tire was made.Each manufacturing plant has it on coding so it's not worth knowing.Michelin has the best mixing process which means a better tire.

Regards.

Mike

Archived