Sierras Again

• Member Contributer

I just completed my 4th Sierras tour in the last three years.

Any guesses???

med_gallery_2144_3988_392280.jpg

Turns out this trip was a nightmare to plan and our plans vacillated till we pushed off. The original idea was to travel to the Laguna MotoGP and then head up the coast. Well the uncertainty of the fires including the Big Sur and eyewitness reports on the visibility/closed roads in Northern California put a damper on this idea and we decided to head for the Sierras in lieu of treking to Utah and Colorado. The other guys had never been to a race (AMA or GP) so it sounded like a good idea at the time and probably would have worked out fine but…………

Where to go – Cal Fire was busy

2210381440099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I opted for the VFR, my steed of choice in the Sierras. My buddies rode a VFR engine……………………Magna and a Strom. I toured Colorado in 2007 with these guys so we are somewhat accustomed to each other’s peculiarities, idiosyncrasies and foibles. Do you get the hint?

I pretty much stayed with the same kit as normal i.e. Cortech softbags with a tank bag. As before I used my Ventura rack to help steady the load. I also added a cooler on the rear rack……….more on this later. My camping gear was unchanged with the exception of adding a thicker Thermarest ……………a cot could be on the horizon tooooooooooooooo!

As regards electronic doodads, I added an Amplirider to boost the volume on my Zumo.

The general route was to haul to Kernville/Lake Isabella in the Southern Sierras and then jump over to 395 via the Sherman Pass for an eventual two day stop in Mammoth. Then over to Tahoe via Monitor Pass and some local riding. On the return leg we planned an East to West transit of the Sonora Pass and then work our way home by staying in the foothills.

We anticipated about a 50/50 camping/dump motel (with hot water) ratio.

Next - Day One and Two highlights

• Member Contributer
I just completed my 4th Sierras tour in the last three years.

Any guesses???

med_gallery_2144_3988_392280.jpg

Turns out this trip was a nightmare to plan and our plans vacillated till we pushed off. The original idea was to travel to the Laguna MotoGP and then head up the coast. Well the uncertainty of the fires including the Big Sur and eyewitness reports on the visibility/closed roads in Northern California put a damper on this idea and we decided to head for the Sierras in lieu of treking to Utah and Colorado. The other guys had never been to a race (AMA or GP) so it sounded like a good idea at the time and probably would have worked out fine but…………

Where to go – Cal Fire was busy

2210381440099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I opted for the VFR, my steed of choice in the Sierras. My buddies rode a VFR engine……………………Magna and a Strom. I toured Colorado in 2007 with these guys so we are somewhat accustomed to each other’s peculiarities, idiosyncrasies and foibles. Do you get the hint?

I pretty much stayed with the same kit as normal i.e. Cortech softbags with a tank bag. As before I used my Ventura rack to help steady the load. I also added a cooler on the rear rack……….more on this later. My camping gear was unchanged with the exception of adding a thicker Thermarest ……………a cot could be on the horizon tooooooooooooooo!

As regards electronic doodads, I added an Amplirider to boost the volume on my Zumo.

The general route was to haul to Kernville/Lake Isabella in the Southern Sierras and then jump over to 395 via the Sherman Pass for an eventual two day stop in Mammoth. Then over to Tahoe via Monitor Pass and some local riding. On the return leg we planned an East to West transit of the Sonora Pass and then work our way home by staying in the foothills.

Wow.!!! This ride looks too cool for school. Sorry the fires put the dump on your plans but it seems you recovered not too badly. I wish I lived out there.

Kodak moments everywhere!!!!!

Wrestler

• Member Contributer

Yea the high Sierras are pretty special .

Corner corner corner and once you are there there are quite a few roads to pick. There may be prettier places and maybe just as spectacular like 550 in Colorado but I don't know how you could have more corners. Some of my all time favorites on this trip!!! +1.gif

• Member Contributer

Yes the Sierras are magnificient. I grew up going to the eastern side and spend a lot of time there now ice climbing, fishing, backcountry skiing etc. Snowgirl and I recently went to south lake tahoe as a base then crossed the sierras east to west on a few roads taking in Luther, Monitor, Ebbetts, Sonora and Carson passes. What a great day ride that was.

• Member Contributer
Yes the Sierras are magnificient. I grew up going to the eastern side and spend a lot of time there now ice climbing, fishing, backcountry skiing etc. Snowgirl and I recently went to south lake tahoe as a base then crossed the sierras east to west on a few roads taking in Luther, Monitor, Ebbetts, Sonora and Carson passes. What a great day ride that was.

We base camped in South Tahoe as well. Coming up my favorite of all the above!!!!! But it is all GOOD..............GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

I also did Ebbetts a couple of weeks ago courtesy of a family vacation with a VFR ridealong attached.

med_gallery_2144_2760_443761.jpg

med_gallery_2144_3988_941697.jpg

• Member Contributer

From San Diego, there are not a lot of pleasant choices if you want to get to the Sierra. It is either suck it up and go straight thru LA or take a stab at going around (sort of) via Interstate 15/215 and go thru the little hamlets of Riverside and San Bernardino (I think there are only 25 million souls in these villages).

As some of you know sometimes, I combine a family/VFR vacation and load the the bike on the back of my pickup to avoid the metro areas and the desert but not this trip.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...mp;hl=Silverado

We opted for 15 and hoped to avoid the serious heat till Palmdale/14 just off the I15 on the other side of LA Mountains.

I arrived at our start point with only half a tank because a Magna has about half the range of VFR. I prayed he had tanked. It was about 72 degrees in San Diego when we pulled out at 10:00. I don’t do rush hours! After we cleared Rancho Cucamonga (had to stop for Magna Gas), I Zumo hugged the San Bernardino Mountains via Wrightwood (6K ft) for a while before dropping down to picturesque Palmdale and 105 degrees.

We blitzed 14 (with a gas stop +1.gif ) and took the back way to Tehachapi and altitude, cool air and a break.

Now the real fun begins. Out of Tehachapi we took Caliente Bodfish Road North to Lake Isabella. This is one of my favorite roads although there was evidence of several recent mudslides across the road but the freak/welcome rain did put out the Darn………….FIRE! The Caliente Bodfish (also has a scenic loop) is one of the sleeper rides in California and I have been on it several times. The road is starting to show some wear though so be careful. Numerous tight plunging and rising corners and did I say blind.

My buddies shot of the bottom just off 58. Turns start pretty soon.

IMG_2034.JPG

NOW!

2027996750099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Note the gas gauge alarm on the Zumo – I did not reset as I found it useful to leave on most of the time to avoid Magna panic. Did I tell you I like the VFR tank?

2112762620099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Spring 07 archives

2130135660099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Another shot from 2007

med_gallery_2144_2004_1234815.jpg

Dropping into Lake Isabella – needs another 1,000 ft of elevation to be a postcard getaway. Some smoke from the fires lingers too.

2456478120099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Kernville on the North side of the lake is the only place(for me) to stay in the region. Food and booze are within walking distance. I never camp in Kernville as this is really no Alpine setting and can get quite hot in the Summer.

med_gallery_2144_2004_14431.jpg

My Marine buddy (met on tour in 07) was not available this trip. Either 4 wives and 3 purple hearts or the other way around but I forget.

med_gallery_2144_2004_320767.jpg

I logged about 320 miles for the day.

Next - Sherman Pass and Mammoth

• Member Contributer

Next up was Sherman pass, a road I had attempted several times in the past but snow had barred the door every time.

The road north out of Kernville is a delight with an incredible twisty road following the Kern River. Like many roads that follow a river you can see thru many of the corners. However, I do not encourage a fast pace as there are quite a few camping sports along the upper Kern plus a host of fly fisherman testing their wares. Folks on the road swapping lies about fish.............glad we do not do that!!!!!

2212814920099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

2617480990099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

When you break from the Kern River things get tighter and the road quality surface deteriorates but the corners come one after another as you climb to over 9,000ft.

2865543860099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

2429443540099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Despite fire damage, the Upper Kern River and higher is gorgeous. Somewhere out there is Mt Whitney.

2163000760099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The area is laced with off road trails and tough to route thru on Mapsource as all the roads look alike........just follow the only paved road and follow the signs the old fashioned way. I will just convert my tracks to a route for the next time so I have a better read on actual mileage.

Dirt and hogs. They go together just fine.

2731900990099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Once you reach the top at 9200ft – now I know why it was always closed. Not quite 70 degrees and it plateaus a bit so it is delightful for miles thru Kennedy Meadows which is a destination RV/Offroad mecca.

2624457030099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Nine mile road on the backside is well DRY and there is a drop.

2740744370099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Don’t get too close

2023356040099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Safe and Sound in the valley floor and 395. On the North way to Bishop........Find a BMW with a radar detector to follow and then blast by on the two lane sections. Nasty.

2290545670099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Again Mount Whitney is up there somewhere – highest in the lower 48. Took a route a little East of 395 for a bit. Still flat and hot but not for long!

2520772220099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Also we found a neat little road which parallels 395 on the way up to Mammoth from Bishop but that is a secret. Too cool – I wish pictures did justice to the panorama.

2841036490099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Stroms shot...nice.

IMG_2092.JPG?imgmax=912

Bedded down for two nights in Mammoth………40s at night but it was 8000ft. Private campground with hot showers and you could walk into town. That is all I need!!!

2215628720099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Next Devils Postpile, June Lake Loop and Tioga

• Member Contributer

We base camped in South Tahoe as well. Coming up my favorite of all the above!!!!! But it is all GOOD..............GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

I also did Ebbetts a couple of weeks ago courtesy of a family vacation with a VFR ridealong attached.

med_gallery_2144_3988_941697.jpg

I recognize this shot. We went through there on our way to Laguna Seca.

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

We love the Sierras too.

• Member Contributer

The next day we cruised around a little bit and took the Reds Meadow Shuttle Bus over to Devil’s Postpile, which is on the backside of mountain from the main lodge at Mammoth.

You can ride your bike over Minaret Summit to the National Monument if you get there before 7am. That was not happening. Same price though $7 American whether you ride or take the shuttle.

Get a chain/strap to lock your gear while you are screwing around. We parked about 10 yards from the bus loading point.

If you’re late you can just ride up to the summit from the Ski lodge if you want a view and forget about the hike. I did both.

Minaret Summit ...........Would you believe 9200 ft again? And watch for the MTB downhillers finishing/bombing their runs off the mountain.

2433317900099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I am going to make a habit of staying more than one night in the same campground. No setup or teardown and you just ride a loop or take some time off the bike.

Devil’s Postpile – not a bad hike

2194029690099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Rainbow Falls by Red Meadow

2529365060099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

More Fish Stuff

2204794470099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The high mountains are about meadows as well.

2383329910099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The back side of Mammoth ……….see the tram station at the top.

2482409800099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Saw many of the Mammoth Lakes and vistas again before returning to camp.

2576910750099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

V4s by the Lake….actually Twin Lakes I think with a neat lodge too.

2144433150099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

OK back on the road.

I lived about 45mins. from kernville and loved heading up 395N. I am in Texas now and I wish I would of spent more time up there. Mammoth loops are great and Yosemite is just around the corner. I plan on heading back as I still have family in Palmdale and Ridgecrest CA. Looking at your pictures is making me think I should make the trip sooner rather than later.

Always a pleasure to read one of your ride reports, looking forward to the next installment. Just got back from a 2500 mi trip thru CO and I regret not going to CA instead. Might try to squeeze a Sierra trip in before it starts snowing.

• Member Contributer

familiar with the area some.....lived in Bridgeport for 3 summers long ago.

the sights are indeed captivating - very nice fotos.

I intend to get to that area again .......on 2 wheels this time.

thanx 4 the sho........

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys!

I am just getting started as some of all time favorites are just........................around the corner. Everybody needs to go to the Sierras.

Oh Man! I want to do a trip like that. :fing02: :goofy:

TOO FAR FOR YOU LEE! Awesome pics and a great ride. I've driven to Reno from San Bernardino at least once a year for the past 7 years. This past June was the first time I rode up. Can get a little tedious with the heat and all, but the scenary is far and above the best part of all. That secret road from Bishop up to Crawley, isn't really a secret, more of a hidden treasure. Next time you're up that way, when you get into Gardnerville, turn left. You'll find a road that runs from Genoa to South Lake Tahoe which is quite similar to the ACH, Palomar, Crestline roads that we have down here. If I find the name of it I'll post it up, can be a little dangerous, once you come up over the ridge and see Tahoe (especially for the first time) it'll cause an instant lapse in concentration. I used to have to pull over every once in a while. Just awesome. Anyways, BonusVFR, GREAT TRIP reports and pics!

I lived about 45mins. from kernville and loved heading up 395N. I am in Texas now and I wish I would of spent more time up there. Mammoth loops are great and Yosemite is just around the corner. I plan on heading back as I still have family in Palmdale and Ridgecrest CA. Looking at your pictures is making me think I should make the trip sooner rather than later.

Here, here, I have family further north around Sonora, Groveland and Coulterville and most of those roads in the western Sierras coming down into the San Joaquin valley are mui tasty as well. Makes me want to pack up the Viffer and go visit! 'Cept my rubber would be bald by the time I got there. Must find a trailer...must find a trailer... :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Oh Man! I want to do a trip like that. :fing02: :goofy:

TOO FAR FOR YOU LEE! Awesome pics and a great ride. I've driven to Reno from San Bernardino at least once a year for the past 7 years. This past June was the first time I rode up. Can get a little tedious with the heat and all, but the scenary is far and above the best part of all. That secret road from Bishop up to Crawley, isn't really a secret, more of a hidden treasure. Next time you're up that way, when you get into Gardnerville, turn left. You'll find a road that runs from Genoa to South Lake Tahoe which is quite similar to the ACH, Palomar, Crestline roads that we have down here. If I find the name of it I'll post it up, can be a little dangerous, once you come up over the ridge and see Tahoe (especially for the first time) it'll cause an instant lapse in concentration. I used to have to pull over every once in a while. Just awesome. Anyways, BonusVFR, GREAT TRIP reports and pics!

395 worked pretty well for us by dropping in and UP more frequently. 99 or 395 another thread??

Hidden treasure - I like that. You are right! I was too busy with the descreasing radius and cambered corners to shoot anything and beautifully paved tooooooooooo. I will try a Google Earth shot. 207 is the road you are talking about into South Lake Tahoe coming from the East/Nevada. Loved it but I like Mt Rose/431 to the North even better. Maybe cause I saw my first RC 45 there. More about Tahoe coming and coming and coming. Already started planning my next visit!

• Member Contributer
Here, here, I have family further north around Sonora, Groveland and Coulterville and most of those roads in the western Sierras coming down into the San Joaquin valley are mui tasty as well. Makes me want to pack up the Viffer and go visit! 'Cept my rubber would be bald by the time I got there. Must find a trailer...must find a trailer... :fing02:

I have a HF tire changer standing by!

My favorite section on 49 is right out of Coulterville and a back way into Yosemite too. Report coming on that too.

I have heard of Florida. Where is it exactly?

And trailers are good! Helps with that whole 115 AZ thing!

And this too!

2655347170099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer
I recognize this shot. We went through there on our way to Laguna Seca.

IMG_3503.jpg

We love the Sierras too.

Nice ride report, great shots. I recognize this spot too, went through two Augusts ago. 15 minutes later I was riding through the middle of a thunderstorm over the next pass!

HPIM1183Medium.jpg

Here, here, I have family further north around Sonora, Groveland and Coulterville and most of those roads in the western Sierras coming down into the San Joaquin valley are mui tasty as well. Makes me want to pack up the Viffer and go visit! 'Cept my rubber would be bald by the time I got there. Must find a trailer...must find a trailer... :goofy:

I have a HF tire changer standing by!

My favorite section on 49 is right out of Coulterville and a back way into Yosemite too. Report coming on that too.

I have heard of Florida. Where is it exactly?

And trailers are good! Helps with that whole 115 AZ thing!

And this too!

2655347170099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Uh, Florida? It's waaaaay over there to the right and down a little bit. All the roads are straight and flat (well, there is that one 5-mile section of twisties just north of Umatilla). :fing02: If a actual curve does manage to creep into a road somewhere, a carload of drunk teenagers will crash on it prompting the DOT to hastily move to straighten it out, or some developer will decide it's the new perfect location to be rezoned from 'rural' to 'highly impacted' for a subdivision. Did I mention it's really hot and sticky most of the time? And, the traffic seems to accumulate like a rolling snowball (in the Sierras) every year. I'm trying to remember why I still live here. We generally have to seek relief in north GA and the western Carolinas for long blitzkrieg weekends that are all too short. I may take you up on that tire changer offer, Bonus.

Good reporting as usual sir, I love mountains and 'greenery'. Something about the brown landscape just gets me depressed over time. Although having a beach or large body of water nearby helps.

• Member Contributer

The next day we took the scenic loop ride out of Mammoth and I thought for a moment of actually hooking up my heated vest…………….nah but I did flick the switch on the grips.

We headed North to Tahoe via June Lake Loop, Tioga Pass, 395 along the Walker River, Monitor Pass, thru Markleeville and then the Luther Pass up and over to South Lake Tahoe. Each of those spots is worth a mini report on their own.

June Lake ranks right up there with one of the most scenic loops I have ever been on. Not sure how many times I have been here but it never ceases to amaze. The views are so fantastic you just have to slow down and smell the coffee. We did.

Just onto the loop and would you believe ……………June Lake.

2332011910099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Actually there are a few lakes on the loop plus majestic craggy peaks to stare up at. Adequate skiing as well especially if Mammoth is slammed.

2577595060099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

2631419720099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Just another crappy Lake

2334055600099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Just before you get back on 395………till next time.

2598785450099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

After the loop we headed North on 395 for RT120 heading West. This is better known as Tioga Pass and is the highest pass in the Sierras at about 9,945 or something. Tioga is the only Eastern entrance to the Yosemite and not to be missed whether you like to ride or shoot pics. You gotta go if you have not been.

Sweepers all the way with stunning Vistas. Look it up if you don’t believe me.

2618091630099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

2847742000099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Another of my buddies shots

IMG_2214.JPG?imgmax=912

About Halfway up the views really open up………..have a shot on the way down.

Ten bucks to get in and save your stub it is good for a week. Check with CalTrans before trying this in the Spring or Fall as the white stuff can be real limiter.

2199239200099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The flowers had not popped in Tuolumne Meadows yet. It was about 65 degrees.

2453604470099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

We went as far as Olmsted Point to see Half Dome from the backside.

2581944260099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Usually there are loads of MC riders soaking up the view and swapping fish stories. It is all good!

2764953230099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

On the way back – I often forget that in the Mountains you get a different perspective going up and down or back.

2070705030099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Rocks

2856232840099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The descent………wow! Of course it is much better in person.

2881709270099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

An overhead

2806537960099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Just after this shot a red VFR 6th gen with those coveted (by 5th gen guys anyway) OEM factory bags blasted by. My Magna buddies had a mechanical so I watched the VFR arch down the hill. VFRD guy….bye????

At the bottom, we planned to stop at Whoa Nelli at the Mobile Station for one of their top notch sandwiches and gas.

And low and behold……….KeeperGale fresh from the MotoGP was chowing down. Fortunately Gale had the class to not tell me who won the GP. We swapped some fish stories. I gave him a fix with the Zumo ……..only 430 miles left to go to San Diego. Not sure where he started that day. Routing is pretty simple when you are in a hurry.. Down 395 to 15.

2125059260099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Speaking of gas we paid about 5.09 a gallon here (Lee Vining is the name of the town). The Cheapest was 4.05 in Nevada. I like to take trips when gas is the most expensive. On this trip, I set a tank record of 243 miles and a MPG best of 52. Most of the time, I was in the high forties. I probably could have gone higher on the tank but when the Magna kept pulling over I said ………..might as well too.

My obligatory gas station shot. This is what a Magna needs.

2069896080099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Ok running the Walker river corridor on 395 is just plain incredible. For me this is what the VFR was made for. Anytime I see a river running next to a road in the Sierras I know it probably is going to be superb. Open turns with no big surprises. You just flat suck up the infrequent cage thru here. Talk about fun. Only one picture though as I was looking for rhythm as Rossi says. The scenery is just outstanding but that is not why I ride there. God Daaaa I love that stretch.

2124069010099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Monitor Pass over to Markleeville is twisty and the road has some tar snakes. I love it. Let me pull up some tracks and see if I can get an overhead which gives you the sensation. My RAM camera was acting up by this time so so so…………….I did not stop. Tighter than Tioga.

I did get a few. This gives you an idea.

2146633040099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The road does straighten out as you get to the top before another plunging and twisting downhill………..fun!

2684724190099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

My wife always asks me to stop by the Markleeville Outlet mall to pick up some deals since I save so much money on tour.

markleeville-general-store-downtown.jpg

We will have to document Luther Pass some other time.

Next Tahoe

Markleeville outlet mall, indeed. You should see the outlet malls we have here in Florida, my friend; they have valet parking, golf cart shuttles, and football fields of asphalt with retention ponds! With more Mikasa, Jockey, Eddie Bauer, Ralph Lauren, and Sharper Image than you could ever possibly consume, at "discounted" prices no less. Markleeville, hurumph! Now, where would you rather be? Wait...don't answer that.

Mmmm, nice documentation though, Bonus, and impressive presentation. Looking forward to your next posting. Thanks for helping me remember this place! Gotta' say that back door shot of Half Dome from Olmstead Point is brrrreathtaking!

• Member Contributer

Personally I like The North Face Outlet in the back room. Not sure why I like Markleeville so much ..............besides the shopping I mean.

I camped a couple of times at the Grover Hot Springs State Park which is about a mile or so up a hill from the "downtown" metro area. Legitimate hot springs bath/pool there plus hot showers. But you have to drop down to town on your MC for any food and beverages. BTW It can get pretty cold making your way back to camp in the dark with shorts even with a helmet on.

Quite scenic and I will stop there again. Plus it is at the base of Monitor and Ebbetts Passes and Carson is nearbye. Also it is the hub for the "The Death Ride"...........bicycle event held every year. My buddy on the Magna tries it every year.

elemaplg.jpg

Archived