Bc Ghost Towns Tour With Photos

• Member Contributer

Well, I did it - All by myself (I guess I got no friends). A first glimpse at the BC former hip towns. The once third largest city in BC with its 40 houses - and 6 saloons, is no more. But before we get there, there is a bit of riding to do. So lets start with the Hwy #3 - Crowsnest Hwy, from hope to Princeton. A very nice road when the campers and motor home don't clog it and when the speed Tax collectors decide to do something else than hovering all over the smooth patch of tarmac. Going there was great. I got my rhythm broken only twice - the first time 120km in, and the second time near the end. Destination Hwy ranks it 44 out 86 roads. That my man, depend on the day your on it. Going there, I would have ranked closer to 20, coming back I got caught twice behing caravans of motorhomes (10 + following each other in places you cannot pass) I would have ranked 80.

I then went to Tulameen Rd. AKA DH10. The road was nice, but there is a huge amount of gravel on many many corners. No way to get into a rhythm at all. Frankly, I've ridden much better roads that scored lower.

Finally, I arrived at the first Ghost Town. Coalmont. Nothing to see, really. probably 200 people still call it home. Not far from there is Granite City.

First glimpse

gallery_4229_4014_553542.jpg

gallery_4229_4014_420933.jpg

gallery_4229_4014_173841.jpg

gallery_4229_4014_145020.jpg

After looking at a Federal Campsite - people packed together and you have to buy your firewood - I decided to call Granite City my Home town. Population: Me.

So I made camp right by the ledge that overlooks the Tulameen River.

gallery_4229_4014_754892.jpg

Found wood for free!

gallery_4229_4014_14817.jpg

And there was even wild strawberries.

gallery_4229_4014_597388.jpg

A view from my tent.

gallery_4229_4014_659327.jpg

The mystic beast!

gallery_4229_4014_358301.jpg

And the prey.

gallery_4229_4014_1229644.jpg

And the morning sight.

gallery_4229_4014_18396.jpg

Today, I went to the Princeton-Summerland Rd AKA DH72. Quite frankly, I enjoyed this one much more. I have a rule that when a posted speed for a corner says 40km/h, I can safely double it (works only for 40+ corners). That rule applied on this road, but not on Tulameen Rd. The reason why I liked it is because of a nice variety of sweepers and I can find an excellent rhythm.

It's hard to get a picture that shows a true nature of a road, but I tried.

gallery_4229_4014_587396.jpg

And finally Bankeir! And a VFR fully loaded!

gallery_4229_4014_58009.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

That is awesome man. Ghost towns are so cool. In AZ you need a DP bike to get to them though. What a great way to get away from it all for a little while.

• Member Contributer

Beautiful up there!

You better move your bike out of the way of the firehouse doors. I'm sure an engine comes screaming out every few months.

Spoken by a person that finds lots of stuff to eat in the wild you can find allot more then Strawberries to eat. Ya just have to know what to look for,when and how and you can find enough to make a happy when you need or want a bite to eat. Just a few examples

http://www.geocities.com/edibleplantsusa/

http://www.equipped.com/21-76/ch9.pdf

http://www.theoutdoorlodge.com/survival/su...plants_one.html

Nice pics by the way looks like a nice area.

Cool.

I can't believe that you found wild strawberries. Usually the skunks and racoons keep them picked pretty clean.

• Member Contributer
Looks like fun, thanks for sharing! The pics look good and it looks like you had some fantastic weather! :fing02:

Cool photos. It looks like you had tons of fun. You should probably hang onto your bike for a while. After photos like that, don't you want to go on another road trip? Well if you don't want to, I'm sure that everyone on VFRDiscussions wants to see more pics from your future trips. :fing02:

Deffinately very cool! :fing02: That is my idea of a nice vacation!!

How long was the trip, and how many miles did you end up putting on the VFR?

• Member Contributer
That is awesome man. Ghost towns are so cool. In AZ you need a DP bike to get to them though. What a great way to get away from it all for a little while.

There are other towns that I would require a V-strom type of bike to reach, hence me trying to sell the VFR. Since I bought a track bike, I don't really need a sport touring, but a trail/touring.

Deffinately very cool! :fing02: That is my idea of a nice vacation!!

How long was the trip, and how many miles did you end up putting on the VFR?

My idea of vacation too, I know it's not everyone's idea of fun, but for me, it help me reconnect with myself. I bought a six-pack and relaxed like hadn't done it in a verrry loonngg time.

I just spent one night and racked up 600+ km. It was my warm up ride before the Nelson trip.

• Member Contributer
Spoken by a person that finds lots of stuff to eat in the wild you can find allot more then Strawberries to eat. Ya just have to know what to look for,when and how and you can find enough to make a happy when you need or want a bite to eat. Just a few examples

http://www.geocities.com/edibleplantsusa/

http://www.equipped.com/21-76/ch9.pdf

http://www.theoutdoorlodge.com/survival/su...plants_one.html

Nice pics by the way looks like a nice area.

Cool.

I can't believe that you found wild strawberries. Usually the skunks and racoons keep them picked pretty clean.

There was also the Saskatoon berries, which you see in the picture with the deer. Speaking of deer, I saw 6 of them. 2 right at the beginning of DH72. Not to mention a coyote, a fox and severals chipmunks.

Archived