Got The Givis On The 4th Gen... Oh So Happy!

BustedKnuckles

• Member Contributer

After much deliberation and procrastination I finally ordered a Givi wingrack, mounting kit, and a pair of E21's for my 4th Gen VFR. I was hesitant because I never really liked the way they looked in the pictures I'd seen online. I really wanted a set of Honda factory bags (if they even exist), or some of the Corbin color-matched Beetle-Bags but those seem to be like Hen's teeth (or rear plastics without cracks), in other words, unobtainable!

That said, I'm glad I just went ahead and got the Givis. Besides the crap instructions the install was easy and the fit was very good, the wingracks don't hang off the bike as much as I had feared and the bags actually blend in quite nicely in the matte black color. the most difficult part was deciding to take a saw to my seat cowl but I'm pleased with how it turned out. I just thought I'd share some pics to help anyone who is like me, considering the purchase but yet unsure... I'm pleased to say the least. -Paul

Looking good from the side.

med_gallery_11827_3568_163219.jpg

Not too shabby.

med_gallery_11827_3568_207857.jpg

Still a bit unflattering from the rear. Does my arse look big in this???

med_gallery_11827_3568_165831.jpg

The wife likes them too and says "They look safe." whatever that means :warranty:

med_gallery_11827_3568_199033.jpg

• Member Contributer

Paul, looking good :warranty: Thats one clean looking 97, I loved mine.

I wanted hard bags also so I just went out and got the 6th gen :goofy:

• 3 weeks later...
congrats on the new bag's..looks great!.....im personally looking at a top mount bag from givi....enjoy

Any chance of an "Under the seat picture " of the mounting , I am looking at some soft panniers that I will be running with an after market hi Staintune pipe and want to fab some nice bracketry to clear the pipes.

• Member Contributer

Nice bags. I've got the same ones. Only complaint I have is they won't hold my 17" Macbook Pro for the ride into work. smile.gif

On a 6th Gen. Crappy pic but you all get the idea.

DSC_0269.jpg

• 7 months later...
I really wanted a set of Honda factory bags (if they even exist), or some of the Corbin color-matched Beetle-Bags but those seem to be like Hen's teeth (or rear plastics without cracks), in other words, unobtainable!

I wasn't aware that the Honda factory bags are so sought after. :cool:

They do exist; I should know as I have a mint pair which came together with my '96 RC36. wink.gif

3012533206_e0e5fe9810_o.jpg

3012533210_72263b05c6_o.jpg

I haven't put them on the bike, but they do seem to be built like a tank and they are quite large. Only downside is that the lids are grey and I would much rather have them in black... :biggrin:

Not too sure how they will look on the bike... Any ideas about painting the lids black? :biggrin:

I am sure it would look fine, so long as....... it was flat black. I hear Timmy has some flat black paint and may offer to do the work! :cool: Why not paint them to match the red? Same amount of work and they will blend better. Just my $.02.

I am sure it would look fine, so long as....... it was flat black. I hear Timmy has some flat black paint and may offer to do the work! :cool: Why not paint them to match the red? Same amount of work and they will blend better. Just my $.02.

Offering to paint the bags is a mighty kind suggestion, but as I live in Greece, I guess it would be a bit impractical! :biggrin:

As for painting them red, I was concerned they might look a bit "too much" but it is an option worth exploring...

Offering to paint the bags is a mighty kind suggestion, but as I live in Greece, I guess it would be a bit impractical! :biggrin:

As for painting them red, I was concerned they might look a bit "too much" but it is an option worth exploring...

Well, I suppose we could organize a trip for some paintin' n' ridin' in Greece! :biggrin: Good luck on the mod.

Looks good and should give your years of happy use. FYI On that wing rack you have "KR in NM & BustedKnuckles" I have the same rack for my Gen4 and don't use it any more (I should sell) not only cause I took my rear foot pegs off cause of the way it mounts on the rear foot pegs with the need of that silly bolt/nut to attach it. Also if your read the fine print on the rack you will see Givi says not to put I think more then around 10 pounds of stuff in your bags or you will have the same problem I did with breaking that same silly bolt and nut. Since then I went with a different rack that Givi makes that does not need the rear foot pegs and can handle more weight. Sorry don't know the model #, However Givi will and can tell you the details if you beside to look in to one. If not at least get extras of the silly bolts and nuts cause your going to need them some day and hope it not like when I needed them hundreds of miles from home with your bags packed on a road trip. Also put lock tight on the same silly bolts cause they do come loose. LOL Honestly I don't even use the side rack system any more with all the storage and better ways I have found to work. When I need to pack some thing big I use the top center rack Givi makes as seen on my bike with a Givi 460 (I also have two Givi 360's)

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1338573/

The top rack brings the weight to the center of the bike to improve performance. Also found out on my many road trips I don't need the space of two bags. I also like my tank bag that also brings the weight to the center.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/244260/

It's made by Bagster and I have another bag I can put under that bag to all most double my storage if I use both at the same time.

Most of the time though on weekend or day trips I can get by with my "Corbin Smuggler"

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/263457/

and my "Tail Locker"

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/650779/

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/650778/

well from the Netherlands to Greece is 196 bucks..........

From: Amsterdam, NL Tue, Mar 03 Duration: 5h 45min Stop(s): 1

Lufthansa German Airlines Flight: LH 4681

Depart Amsterdam, NL (AMS) 06:10 PM Tue, Mar 03

Arrive Frankfurt, DE (FRA) 07:20 PM

Class: EconomyLow | AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A319 JET

Lufthansa German Airlines

Time between flights: 01 hour(s) and 50 minute(s).

Flight: LH 3384

Depart Frankfurt, DE (FRA) 09:10 PM Tue, Mar 03

Arrive Athens, GR (ATH) 12:55 AM

Class: EconomyLow | AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 JET

Note : This flight arrives the next day.

From: Athens, GR Thu, Mar 05 Duration: 5h 25min Stop(s): 1

Lufthansa German Airlines

so if some guy wearing a seersucker suit, reeking of Old Spice and armed with a bag of tater-tots and box of rattle-can flat black paint knocks on your door, it just might be me. I will go to these lengths to rid the world of bright colours. :cool:

I wasn't aware that the Honda factory bags are so sought after. :cool:

They do exist; I should know as I have a mint pair which came together with my '96 RC36. wink.gif

Would you mind taking a few more pics of them? Maybe with some better lighting, open, etc?

That is a pretty rare item you've got there!

Krylon fusion paint is made to stick to plastic, if you must have black, you should try that.

FYI Them bags may have Honda's name on them but from the info I know over the years are not a OEM option for RC36's. My guess Honda had some one make them for general use on several different bikes which the VFR was one of them. Got to say though I have never seen them before so they are a rare item. What is up with the muffler in the pic? LOL don't try to tell us it's part of the bag system :cool:

• Member Contributer
I really wanted a set of Honda factory bags (if they even exist), or some of the Corbin color-matched Beetle-Bags but those seem to be like Hen's teeth (or rear plastics without cracks), in other words, unobtainable!

I wasn't aware that the Honda factory bags are so sought after. +1.gif

3012533206_e0e5fe9810_o.jpg

3012533210_72263b05c6_o.jpg

I haven't put them on the bike, but they do seem to be built like a tank and they are quite large. Only downside is that the lids are grey and I would much rather have them in black... :dry:

Not too sure how they will look on the bike... Any ideas about painting the lids black? :mellow:

I say if you want to paint them, paint them black. But those bags are too rare to cheap out on a can of spray paint. I would take them to a professional painter and get a quality, long lasting paint job.

• 1 month later...
After much deliberation and procrastination I finally ordered a Givi wingrack, mounting kit, and a pair of E21's for my 4th Gen VFR. I was hesitant because I never really liked the way they looked in the pictures I'd seen online. I really wanted a set of Honda factory bags (if they even exist), or some of the Corbin color-matched Beetle-Bags but those seem to be like Hen's teeth (or rear plastics without cracks), in other words, unobtainable!

That said, I'm glad I just went ahead and got the Givis. Besides the crap instructions the install was easy and the fit was very good, the wingracks don't hang off the bike as much as I had feared and the bags actually blend in quite nicely in the matte black color. the most difficult part was deciding to take a saw to my seat cowl but I'm pleased with how it turned out. I just thought I'd share some pics to help anyone who is like me, considering the purchase but yet unsure... I'm pleased to say the least. -Paul

Since I don't run with the top plate mounted either, I made a rod to run between the two rearmost mounting holes at the top end of the wingrack. Just a simple aluminium or steel rod tapped at both ends with the bolts going through from the outside . It really helps to tie the whole wingrack together, especially sinc I run the larger Panniers than those you have.

The bar will sit neatly in the "notch" between the rear light and the d-shaped section of the tail above it.

Not that it matters, but I'd say that the panniers are on the "wrong hand", I'd have the larger part to the front .rear-1.jpg

Rod

I am lucky in that my wingrack came with a stiffener bar that mounts between the racks. You can see it just behind the tag. It is multi adjustable and I think it is a Givi part. It treally helps:

caskills064.jpg

• Member Contributer
Not that it matters, but I'd say that the panniers are on the "wrong hand", I'd have the larger part to the front.

Rod

Funny, in a year you're the first person to mention it! They are indeed on backwards and have been mounted properly ever since. smile.gif

I do like the suggestion for the stiffening rod, I have been considering it for the same reasons, the racks do seem a bit flimsy, especially with the bags fully loaded, and I'd like the option to upgrade to larger panniers in the future. Thanks for the improvement ideas Rod, Timmy, Joe...!

I usually have all mine loaded with about 20-30 lbs of gear with no issues of breaking yet. I did loose a bolt or two I needed to replace. I think adding a rod across the bottom is not a bad idea. The mounts also make nice sliders when bags are not in use.

misc013.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well since it's raining like hell here today I decided to take Rogue's advice and make a rod of my own to stiffen-up my wingracks. I got a piece of 1/2 aluminum rod, drilled and tapped the ends for some metric cap-screws and then, by pure accident, since I didn't have any black spray-paint I coated it with some urethane tread-grip paint that turns out to match the finish of the wingrack perfectly!

The newly reinforced Givis are now truly ready to carry some weight and/or larger panniers. Now I'm all ready for Summer camping and most importantly the Summer Summit! :biggrin:

Total cost: $14 Thanks for the rad rod idea Rod. +1.gif

It adds a surprising amount of rigidity to the whole rear-end.

givibar1.jpg

The cap-screws and the finish match nicely.

givibar2.jpg

No interference with the rear indicators or brake light either.

givibar3.jpg

Archived