Gen. 6th Vfr: The Brake Lines Are Now Runnging Through The Swingarm!

2FAST4U

• Member Contributer

Yeah I wish there was a little more room there. I have been cutting back the sleeving and also fishing on a bit of heat shrink tubing before the nut. After it's all assembled I pull the heat shrink up to cover the exposed braid.

a592c3be.jpg

Is the outer sleeve just for looks or is it for reinforcement ?

Seb, do you have any preferences on SS vs. the anodized AL fittings?

No.

My feelings on that is, like with anything else, if you take of them, they will last a long time. Change your fluid annually to keep moisture out, and keep the outsides clean and you won't have to worry about corrosion until well after the lines have paid for themselves.

(Especially for my garage kept bikes)

Is the outer sleeve just for looks or is it for reinforcement ?

It is considered a protective coating, not a reinforcement, although it does stiffent the hose up a bit. And it does look good too.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, good to know there's only one correct answer.

IMG_9779_zps982fcc21.jpg

Rear brakes are not as important as front brakes, so you're probably fine. I've got some Earl's alloy lines on a bike I purchased that way, and they're probably fine. But for a new purchase I would do what I know is better and less risky, and that is use stainless steel fittings. Besides, annodised alloy is so 1990s. Oh, wait... :laugh:

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Basically the rear braking system is the same for both gens. The fronts are slightly different. So if it just moving the lines into the swingarm, then its fine.

I had to totally delink mine to fit the single nut rear wheel, but I put the remaining brake line through the swingarm, as per the pics below.

The line runs forward from the rear master cylinder, inside of the foot rest hanger, then under the front of the swingarm & enters in to the arm via the square hole that is already there on the left inner side. It exits through the drain hole at the rear, which I rifled/drilled at an angle to make it big enough for the banjo head to fit through & gave the right angle for the hose to exit towards the new caliper !

1rearbrakelinerouting1.jpg

Have fun.

Did you ditch the heat shield or did you get it back in with that routing?