Colour Coded Sprocket Modification

Guest Jbhayman

Guest Jbhayman

Hi all this talk has got me thinking......

Has anyone got experience with Vortex Sprockets...

I am thinking of a colour coded VFR800 sprocket for my blue 6th Gen.

Jbhayman

gallery_13482_3669_51828.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have them on my YZF 750R and they are good bits. I'll most likely stick with steel on my VFR though.

• Member Contributer
Anyone got any idea if anyone produces a colour coded steel sprocket that looks as cool as this??

JBhayman

I've seen Ali centered sprokets with a steel outer somewhere.

Ah! here they are: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle...content_cat/175 called Stealth

Anyone got any idea if anyone produces a colour coded steel sprocket that looks as cool as this??

SprocketOrg.jpg

Chain Gang in Australia. Not cheap but will last longer than any other sprocket - up to 50 000km is possible.

http://www.chaingang.com.au/shop/indexMoto...oc&docId=11

• Member Contributer

I have the black aluminum vortex on my 02 VFR. I installed it a couple of weeks ago and love it. It is a 45T and along with the 15T front, her acceleration is much better.

As far as longevity, I know the steel lasts longer, but I don't use my bike for touring. I bought it cuz it looks sweet and sporty, and is more comfortable than a sportbike. (I only put about 1000 to 1500 miles on her a year - short rides).

So if the sprocket lasts me 4 or 5+ years, I feel I got my 50 dollars worth.

Here it is compared to my stock.

gallery_12318_3720_249890.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

Here it is installed.

gallery_12318_3720_456557.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

gallery_12318_3720_39730.jpg

Picture 038.jpg

gallery_12318_3735_594859.jpg

Picture 049.jpg

I got the Vortex from indysuperbikes.com. I know there are other places that sell them too, but they were on sale when I bought them. Still should only cost you about $50.

• Member Contributer

I'm running Vortex sprokets... from the looks of things so far, they will easily last as long as the chains and then some.. I prolly 8-10k on mine so far..

I have the black aluminum vortex on my 02 VFR. I installed it a couple of weeks ago and love it. It is a 45T and along with the 15T front, her acceleration is much better.

As far as longevity, I know the steel lasts longer, but I don't use my bike for touring. I bought it cuz it looks sweet and sporty, and is more comfortable than a sportbike. (I only put about 1000 to 1500 miles on her a year - short rides).

I got the Vortex from indysuperbikes.com. I know there are other places that sell them too, but they were on sale when I bought them. Still should only cost you about $50.

Looks good wooly. I like the brake line bracket you made, looks familar. I see you ditched the center stand to.

Here is a pic of the Stealth 45T on my ride.

gallery_6375_1185_136059.jpg

Supersprox 45T.jpg

Guest Jbhayman

Thanks for that I think I will take up this option.

JBhayman....now I am gonna get the blue chain as well....

SprocketOrg.jpg

Chain Gang in Australia. Not cheap but will last longer than any other sprocket - up to 50 000km is possible.

http://www.chaingang.com.au/shop/indexMoto...oc&docId=11

Edited by Jbhayman

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer
the colored Vortex sprocket are for a 525 pitch chain. Would it be a problem running a 530 chain with it? :cool:

You mean, apart from the bike self-destructing and exploding in a huge ball of flames?

Nope!

(Can't see why they couldn't make a 530-pitch (or 520-pitch) sprocket, though--both have got to be more common than 525...but why 525 in the first place? Of the VFRs, only the RC30/NC30 had an OEM 525-pitch chain, and those bikes used a different sprocket anyway.)

Btw, you guys running sans lower chain guards: I hope you ride only wearing steel-tipped boots... :cool: (Ask Doug Polen and who else was it...Carlos Checa or Alex Criville?...basically any rider nicknamed "Limpy"...about the function of lower chain guards!)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

This is what I have been running on my 5th gen for the past two years...a little over 16,000 miles. What a slack azz I am, I need to ride more. :cool:

Supersprox 45T.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks good wooly. I like the brake line bracket you made, looks familar. I see you ditched the center stand to.

Supersprox 45T.jpg

Thanks. Yours looks great too. As far as the center stand goes, I think it looks better without it too. It opens things up in the back a little more. Plus, I just kept my center stand and cut a piece of aluminum rod to slide into the center stand holes whenever I need to put it up to work on it. Works like a charm. When I'm done working, I just lower her to the ground, slide the rod out from the center stand, and remove it.

Guest okiengr

Here it is compared to my stock.

gallery_12318_3720_249890.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

Here it is installed.

gallery_12318_3720_456557.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

gallery_12318_3720_39730.jpg

Picture 038.jpg

gallery_12318_3735_594859.jpg

Picture 049.jpg

Wooly, love the setup. It looks so sleek, nice, and clean! BTW, where did you get that little center piece that's installed in the hub nut?