Heated Grips

Guest duner

Question

Guest duner

i am going to put a set on my bike...

what is the best option fort he price i have saw two types and am most intrested in the ones by symetic http://www.casporttouring.com/store/mercha...e=CST/CTGY/SYMT

the go under the existing grips or on top of them with a gripper cover that goes over them. are they any good ?????????

my hands froze this morning through my sking gloves....

thanks

21 answers to this question

These are good or DualStar grip heaters are also good. The bottom one has a nicer switch in it and is the one i would get.

You can re-install the the stock grips over the elements or buy new grip and there might be a "How To" here also. Be sure to run it right to the battery through a simple auto type power relay that's only powered with the key on. This provides the quickest and highest temps and no chance of a dead battery! :fing02:

Now just add a Gerbing Jacket Liner and your set for anything! :blink:

• Member Contributer

what is the best option fort he price i have saw two types and am most intrested in the ones by symetic http://www.casporttouring.com/store/mercha...e=CST/CTGY/SYMT

the go under the existing grips or on top of them with a gripper cover that goes over them. are they any good ?????????

thanks

I just installed the Dual Star kit (goes under the existing grips) two weeks ago and had a chance to use it last Saturday. I really like it. The heated grips kept my hands warm the whole day. Here's the one I got. Dual Star

I think for around $30, it's a good mod and buy. I spent a little extra and got the optional Heat-troller for better control.

• Member Contributer

thanks

I just ordered those heaters from that very company on March 24th. I haven't received them yet. I ordered a new pair of ProGrip 714s and a Throttle Rocker at the same time. I'm still up in the air about whether I'll use grip glue or not. I also have a new set of heli-bars that I'm installing at the same time. It will most likely be too warm to use them by the time I get everything installed!

• Member Contributer

I have Hot Grips and love them. They get very, very hot to say the least.

I got the symtec with the round rocker switch. Had them for 2 years now and love them. Easy install and yea, they get hot enough on Hi to melt stuff. :-)

Guys,

What Ignition key controlled connection point are you using for the hot wire? and the ground wire for that matter...

I did not notice any additional acces. connection terminals at the fuse box or acces. panel near the batt. help..

regards,

Being on the frugal side I surfed E-Bay until I found some heated grips I liked. I wanted grips that had the heating element built in, a controller that had multiple settings, and that looked good and did not have a knob. I settled on Oxford grips. I got them on sale and the total damage was $49.00 delivered. The kit was complete with two grips, a controller with 4 settings, and wiring to hook everything up. Installation was very simple. I used hair spray instead of the supplied super glue. The grips were so tight going on, even after removing every trace of glue, that I felt hair spray would be sufficient. So far, so good, the grips are solid. The only thing I did different is to wire in a relay so that the grips work off switched power rather than battery power. I mounted the relay under the seat and used the tail light wire as the trigger power source.

Action

Well the grips and sme glue are on order. the only thing i havent decided is if i will try to insulate under the left grip to increase the heat.

on my atvs i wrap the bar with sand paper to help the grips stay affixed. this might also help with heat transfer. shrug or not.

may just put it right on the bar and call it good...

thanks for all the input..

• Member Contributer

You don't need to wrap anything around the left grip. According to the owner of Symtec, they take into account th eheat loss from that side so they feel the same temp.

I didn't wrap my left grip and they feel the same to me. :blush:

• Member Contributer
You don't need to wrap anything around the left grip. According to the owner of Symtec, they take into account th eheat loss from that side so they feel the same temp.

I didn't wrap my left grip and they feel the same to me. :blush:

yup!

I just installed a set of the dual star heated grips. The work great and there is no risistor. No need to order the shrink tube. You will need some hi temp glue when you put the grips over the heat element. Check out the "how to" link;

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...ar+heated+grips

Good Luck.

• Member Contributer
Guys,

What Ignition key controlled connection point are you using for the hot wire? and the ground wire for that matter...

I did not notice any additional acces. connection terminals at the fuse box or acces. panel near the batt. help..

regards,

I took a trip down to Pep Boys, asked the guy if I could walk behind the parts counter to look at their relays. Bought one with the appropriate schematic on the side. I also picked up some of those snap-on (description not brand name) wire connectors. Ran a small gauge wire from the relay back to my tail-light; that took care of the only on when ignition on. You shouldn't need to worry about a ignition key controlled ground, just the hot one for the relay. A few links you might check out:

Honda ST Install

VStrom

Guys,

regards,

I took a trip down to Pep Boys, asked the guy if I could walk behind the parts counter to look at their relays. Bought one with the appropriate schematic on the side. I also picked up some of those snap-on (description not brand name) wire connectors. Ran a small gauge wire from the relay back to my tail-light; that took care of the only on when ignition on. You shouldn't need to worry about a ignition key controlled ground, just the hot one for the relay. A few links you might check out:

Honda ST Install

VStrom

Thanks for the help...

I too opted for the DualStar...they were nice when it was 23 degrees out....now it is 70 so I don't need them. I didn't buy the round rocker....then realized I didn't like the toggle switch it came with so I ordered rockers seperatly from one of my Electrical suppliers.....so now I have 10 dual position round rocker switches.....I love extra parts!

Here are some pics of my install....I went as steal as I could:

Wiring it up:

Heated_Grip_Install_002.sized.jpgHeated_Grip_Install_003.sized.jpg

Ground point...you can see that I need my CBR lighted Mirrors....whoops:

Heated_Grip_Install_004.sized.jpg

Switch Location...under the windshield:

Heated_Grip_Install_005.sized.jpg

Wires in throttle grip:

Heated_Grip_Install_006.sized.jpg

You can't see the switch when standing by the bike unless you are looking for it. I usually used the max setting.

well the symtec heaters have been installed. best modification i have made to anything in a long time. Why wouldnt they come from the factory with this installed ??????? They are great. pacific northwest 30 degrees for about 30 min to work awwwwww

I just installed a set of the dual star heated grips. The work great and there is no risistor. No need to order the shrink tube. You will need some hi temp glue when you put the grips over the heat element. Check out the "how to" link;

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...ar+heated+grips

Good Luck.

Excellent! Thank-you

• Member Contributer

I'm thinking this will be a good project some raining weekend this summer. Rode to work this morning and started out at +5c for the first 45mins of the trip, last 45mins was a wonderful -3c at highway speeds thats only -26c with the wind chill LOL

Archived